Fish lake for young and old

Irishrover
Irishrover
Fish lake up in the Steens Moutains is worth the trip just for the views. Then toss in some great fishing either at the lake or down at the Donner & Blitzen River and you really have a fun time. I've made the trip a few times and it is a long drive. It is west 20 miles from the town of French Glenn on a gravel road and sits at about 7300' elevation. There is snow piled up in spots up there in August. That works out nicely for keeping your fish cold.

When my kids were young they really got the fishing bug up there. They would be up early and down at the lake tossing worms and eggs. It's is an absolutley fine place to get the kids started on fishing as the fishing is usually fantastic. The lake is small 16 acres good for float tubes and pontoons. All fishing methods are allowed.

Went back with my youngest son when he was 25 and he sill loved the place. That time it was float tubes and adamas dry flies. The Brookies love those flies. Here are some pics of the area and fish. I messed up and did not get pics of the lake. Save it for the next trip. One is the top of the Steens looking out on to Mann Lake, and one of some of those Fish Lake fish.

I screwed up this should be in the southeast section not southwest!:confused:

Last edited:
R
rainbowfisherman
these are wild fish right?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
rainbowfisherman said:
these are wild fish right?

And that grill is like 5' wide,right? :think: :D :lol: :lol:
Barb

Irishrover
Irishrover
Wild only on light line. No the rainbow are stocked and the brookies where stocked years ago and just keep going, like the ones over at Gold lake. The fish in the Donner and Blitzen are wild and I do catch and release on it.

Barb you must have been over there to have known the size of those grills;). Actually just put them there for photo. Nice pan size trout. PS being a moderator and all do you know how to move this post to the southeast section where I should have posted it..........

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Moved....

Moved....

Consider it done.....

Chuck

Irishrover
Irishrover
Thank for the move.

Here is a picture of Kiger Gorge right near Fish Lake.

Troutski
Troutski
Country.....

Country.....

Irishrover said:
Thank for the move.

Here is a picture of Kiger Gorge right near Fish Lake.

Man that is beautiful country over there. How long a drive is it...? Thanks for the picture, just wonderful.

Chuck

Irishrover
Irishrover
Well usuing Bend as a starting point....Bend to Burns 131 miles bout 2 and 1/2 to 3 hrs. Burns to Frenchglenn 60 miles 1 hr. Then the climb up from Frenchglenn on the gravel road 20 miles about 45 min. So about 5 hrs from Bend but darn well worth it even if it's only once in a life time. (from Sandy it takes me about 8hrs)

The Steens Mountains are a fault mountain. They raise slowly from the west up to a height of over 9700'. From the top they have a shear drop to the Alvord Desert. You can drive to the top and look down about 3000-4000' to the desert floor. Man what a view. Makes you feel about the size of an ant.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Irishrover said:
Well usuing Bend as a starting point....Bend to Burns 131 miles bout 2 and 1/2 to 3 hrs. Burns to Frenchglenn 60 miles 1 hr. Then the climb up from Frenchglenn on the gravel road 20 miles about 45 min. So about 5 hrs from Bend but darn well worth it even if it's only once in a life time.

The Steens Mountains are a fault mountain. They raise slowly from the west up to a height of over 9700'. From the top they have a shear drop to the Alvord Desert. You can drive to the top and look down about 3000-4000' to the desert floor. Man what a view. Makes you feel about the size of an ant.

So it is not something a person living in Springfield would do for a day trip. Gotta give that some thought. Heck it is 2.0 hrs from my house to Bend, given we have less than 9 hours of day light per day; that wouldn't leave much time for fishing before I would have to leave. Unless you could recommend a fairly safe and close by Motel or Hotel....

Chuck

Irishrover
Irishrover
Historic 8-room hotel with dining area, open mid-March to November. For reservations call (541)493-2825 or for information call (800) 551-6949.
2008 Rates
Open March 15 to November 1
Rooms - Full Size Bed $67
Full Size Bed and Single $70

I pulled this information of a Oregon state Parks webb site by typing in Frenchglenn Hotel. Gives a little more info there. The lake is one of those summer only fishing lakes because it is up so high. Snowed in a lot of the time. I prefer August and I bring bug spray. It is definatley not your day drive fishing trip. The old hotel is kind of a neat place. It was remodeled in 1938;)

Troutski
Troutski
Thanks.

Thanks.

Irishrover said:
Historic 8-room hotel with dining area, open mid-March to November. For reservations call (541)493-2825 or for information call (800) 551-6949.
2008 Rates
Open March 15 to November 1
Rooms - Full Size Bed $67
Full Size Bed and Single $70

I pulled this information of a Oregon state Parks webb site by typing in Frenchglenn Hotel. Gives a little more info there. The lake is one of those summer only fishing lakes because it is up so high. Snowed in a lot of the time. I prefer August and I bring bug spray. It is definatley not your day drive fishing trip. The old hotel is kind of a neat place. It was remodeled in 1938;)

Thanks for the information....maybe a weekend trip is in order, it is always fun to hit a new body of water and test your skills.
Fun stuff....

Chuck

F
FishSchooler
Hoo hoo hoo, I aint visitin that beauty over thar soon! Must be a six hour drive or something! it waslike 4.5 hours to medford, but this is diagonal! :shock:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Fishschooler, you can always take a trip over on Google Earth. You won't catch any fish that way but it's free and quick. It will give you an idea of what the place looks like a least. It close to an 8hr drive from Lake O

F
FishSchooler
Irishrover said:
Fishschooler, you can always take a trip over on Google Earth. You won't catch any fish that way but it's free and quick. It will give you an idea of what the place looks like a least. It close to an 8hr drive from Lake O

Yeh.