Fish jumping

M
master-baiter
Anyone else noticing the large amounts of fish jumping but not biting? Kinda frustrating. At least i know they are there. Anyone know why they wont hit on anything?

C
Cohosanders
Love the name and welcome to the forum. Sometimes when the fish are jumping and not biting it is good to go through ALL of your tackle. Try new techniques. Don't get frustrated just keep trying and you will find out how to get 'em to bite. Once you get them to bight then the fight then the landing.Oh Yeah!!

Last edited:
E
everett464
Uhhh, so this has been the situation for me ore than once recently. I tried every dry in my box one night, and was still only pulling incidental rises... you know, where it feels like if the fish had got a better look he would have let it go by.

I dont know what the deal is, but I share your frustration.

M
master-baiter
oh yeah...4 days in a row. Took my wife with me tonight and she couldnt believe the fish jumping. Like i read somewhere else, since fish dont have middle fingers, they jump ;0
I vowe to fish every day after work until I catch one =)

T
The Tightest Line
I feal your pain man. I am having the same problem especially with the Santiam Steelies through the summer

M
Mike123
Sometimes they are jumping because of seals and sea lions.. which means they are gonna be tight lipped.
But yea tell me where they are jumping so I can go try to make less of them jump! haha ;)

F
fishndad
from experiance ive seen them turn down every kind of lure and false bait, but then throw some fresh roe and sand shrimp and nail em all day long. in my experiance when ive seen fish jumping they r feeding on things that are in there diet. throwing a spinner is usualy a way of peacing em off lol, thats why when they r in salt or tide water they will be more aggressive. now this is just my oppinion. but when they r jumping im throwing roe and shrimp....... reason im catching fish lol if u have this stuff at hand give it a try.

S
steelhead1
There are lots of theories on why salmon and steelhead jump, but I dont believe anybody knows why, for sure. In my experience, especially with salmon, as the weather (and the water) cools, the bite will get hotter. Be persistant,you will catch fish.Pay attention, details and subtle clues are important,(watch what the older guys are doing,look for fish flashing,rolling ect).Find the water that hasnt been pounded all day(hike in to places most wont,cover lots of water).Use good bait,(the crappy eggs at bi-mart arent worth the money,get some live sandshrimp instead).Just my opinion,based on my own experience.Good luck:D

F
fishndad
steelhead1 said:
There are lots of theories on why salmon and steelhead jump, but I dont believe anybody knows why, for sure. In my experience, especially with salmon, as the weather (and the water) cools, the bite will get hotter. Be persistant,you will catch fish.Pay attention, details and subtle clues are important,(watch what the older guys are doing,look for fish flashing,rolling ect).Find the water that hasnt been pounded all day(hike in to places most wont,cover lots of water).Use good bait,(the crappy eggs at bi-mart arent worth the money,get some live sandshrimp instead).Just my opinion,based on my own experience.Good luck:D

egg-zactly! lol if u dont have good eggs stick with shrimp! this does not mean spinners do not work because that would be faulty info, just sometimes u gotta try something else!

E
everett464
I had assumed that the OP was talking about trout, which would mean that if they are rising, they are almost certainly feeding.

Salmon, are a totally different story altogether.

M
master-baiter
Thanks for the replys!! Im going to pick up some live shrimp tomorrow after work. The area im talking about is the Alsea at tidewater. Hope I can report with good luck tomorrow night.

A
alseaalumaweld
master-baiter said:
Thanks for the replys!! Im going to pick up some live shrimp tomorrow after work. The area im talking about is the Alsea at tidewater. Hope I can report with good luck tomorrow night.

its got todo with water temp and how fresh the fish are they are not on the bite rite now thats fro sure

C
cddunn
Yep, just about every week.

F
fishndad
good luck!

B
bigfootfish
The Tightest Line said:
I feal your pain man. I am having the same problem especially with the Santiam Steelies through the summer

It's been the strangest Summer for catching trout, steelhead or their lil' cousins. Never seen anything like it. I guess we live and learn. Actually, I really think it all depends on BEING IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. Period. End of script. Wah.

BFF

C
chrisohm
I have had bad moments just with bait and the people around me were using a color or type I didn't have. BFF is right in some regards, the right place and right time...with the right bait. If you don't have an experienced person to go with then find one or do it alone! Sometimes you just have to Rambo it out!! The tip on shrimp and roe is very true and I have heard that even a shrimp scent on a spinner can work well.

Last edited: