Fish jumping out of the water is it Carp?

J
joro79
Hey guys,
Last year I was fishing in Bethany Pond for stocked trout and there were some very big fish jumping out of the water. Some people said it is Bass but I think it is Carp. I haven't catch any Carp there but I saw something similar when fishing at Rooster Rock Park and on the Multnomah channel.
Any ideas what fish it might be, I know for sure that the carp is jumping to clean its gills or something like that, is there any other fish that you know to do that?

C
chris61182
It's almost certainly carp. I don't remember the details but it's all a part of their mating cycle.

T
trollin4trout
Put some yellow corn on your sliding sinker setup, instead of Powerbait- carp love it- makes for great fun on a trout rod!

Or did you mean these kind of jumping carp??

Last edited:
J
joro79
Yeah carp love corn. Especially fresh corn.
I am talking about the common carp, the one that jumps in boats I think is the asian carp. Once the weather warms up I am planning to make a trip to the Roster Rock State Park and try my luck with some corn.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Carp are fun to catch. I guess. I've only caught one, by accident, fly fishing a slough on the Willamette.
I made one cast to a log and got hit, pulled back nothing but one huge scale. I was so charged at the size of the thing I didn't stop to think what it was. All I was seeing was huge scale=huge fish. Made a another cast and wham fish on. 10 mins or so later on a 5 wt with 8# tippet I pulled her in. Probably 20-25 inches and just fat what a BLAST!! I was getting arm pump by time I landed it hahahI have been trying to repeat for the last 2 years and nothing lol. Fun stuff though. They are wily!!

J
JTLunker
I caught one on an Ultra light rod. I thought I had caught a fantastic Bass, but nay just a Carp. I would do it again. They shake REAL hard.

W
willfishforfood
hilarious!

hilarious!

Great link to those videos, those fish are nuts! I laughed so hard seeing the big guy covering his head to avoid getting hit.

I have seen huge carp jump in the Long Tom R. just below the ditch.

Last edited:
B
bassman503
blue lake state park has tons of carp.... mostly 5 to 10 pounders. fish at the dock with corns and youll see that rod bend. this guy kills them there. i dont know how but it seems that he is the only one that can catch them....

F
FishSchooler
Tualatin river has tons of carpy fish! :lol: Get it? Get it?

B
Boywhofishes
its definatley the common carp, they jump as part of their mating ritual, and also to clean their gills i believe :think:

C
chris61182
Bassman, how crowded does the blue lake dock get? I assume it's a mad house when it's been stocked with trout but what about this time of the year?

It's been a while since I've hooked one and I definitely miss the pull of a big-ole carp.