Fish in Waldo

C
catchallthefish
my buddy said theres no fish in there... i think there is am i right or wrong

J
JeannaJigs
Your buddy doesn't want to share the water with you. There's fish aplenty.

C
catchallthefish
hes never fished it just been there like i have and now i want to go back and hammer it ....is there a lead restriction?

T
troutmasta
I'm not sure, I always check the regs. Ibet you could find ith there

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Yes, there are fish in Waldo. Brookies and Kokes. They're harder than anything to catch though, what with the water being so clear.

J
JonT
Are you referring to Waldport? The mouth of the Alsea? Yeah, I'd think there'd be just a few in there.

C
catchallthefish
no waldo lake

troutdude
troutdude
Due to the water purity, Waldo Lake is largely infertile. Plus no permanent inlet streams exist, to feed nutrients into the lake. So, Waldo is incapable of supporting a high density population of fish. As a result, the angling is rated poor-to-fair.

Most of the brookies are skinny (under nourished), and only range from 8 - 12 inches. And there is a smattering of kokes still in the lake. Those are left-overs, from when Waldo used to be stocked...as are an occasional 'bow or cuttie.

By the way; stocking was halted, in 1990, thanks to the Eco-Weenie movement. But peeps are still allowed, to swim in the lake. Go figure. Peeps don't pollute the water? Any way...that's getting OFF topic.

At any rate...

The reason above are likely why, your friend said that Waldo has no fish. The fish are few, and far between. Plus, they're easy to find, on a 7,000 expanse of open water.

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Good info td!

Best to you,

C
catchallthefish
thats what he said its so clean theres no food so there can't possibly be fish there..... but when i went out on the lake i saw a few fish... not hordes of them... and thats lame they quite stocking it

T
troutmasta
All I know is hungry brookies will take all sorts of flies

(well thats not all I know but its most of it)

troutdude
troutdude
I was going to add that; if you go--the best time is during the spawn in September and October.

WORD: there are TONS of skeeters in the Spring/early summer. So, don't forget your repellant and netting.

Troutski
Troutski
Filled with fish...

Filled with fish...

catchallthefish said:
thats what he said its so clean theres no food so there can't possibly be fish there..... but when i went out on the lake i saw a few fish... not hordes of them... and thats lame they quite stocking it

So much not true, this lake is rather large and deep... the clarity is like floating in mid air.. Very cool lake and it is brimming with Brookies and Kokes, some of the largest Brookies in the State.. The Summer, Spring, and fall are the best times to challenge this lake... The fish are there all year long one just needs to get back to basics and fish a true lake.

Chuck

Reactions: JeannaJigs
B
Bentrod
I went there with Troutski a couple of times and we managed to catch some very nice brookies and the biggest kokes I've seen in a long time.