Fish identification help

Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
mthrlwd said:
My take is that it's a fat rainbow that has potentially spawned with sea-run steelhead... it happens - and it's definitely in spawn mode. It could be a jack, for sure... but I'd rule out it being a salmon or full sea-run steelhead. I think it's a spawning fat-ass rainbow trout. Lovely fish dude.
I agree with this 100 percent

WaveCrawler said:
Let's examine the facts.... Steelhead are merely anadromus trout. What you are holding looks like a kind of large rainbow (non-anadromus) I see in the Deschutes called a "red-side" and yes they are very hard to tell apart from a Steele.
The only problem is that it is incredibly rare to find redband a west of the cascades šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Reactions: Shaun Solomon and mthrlwd
WaveCrawler
WaveCrawler
Trout Slayer_7 said:
The only problem is that it is incredibly rare to find redband a west of the cascades šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I agree I've only ever seen them well east of the cascades. Dosent men there can't be similar genetics else where.

Reactions: Trout Slayer_7
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Thereā€™s that whole mysterious ā€œfall spawning rainbowā€ thing too.

Well, we all seem to agree itā€™s most likely not a sturgeon.

Reactions: Trout Slayer_7
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
There are native rainbows west of the cascades. Redbands are desert rainbows. I grew up fishing the McKenzie and its full of native redsides that are resident fish.

Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
O. mykiss said:
There are native rainbows west of the cascades. Redbands are desert rainbows. I grew up fishing the McKenzie and its full of native redsides that are resident fish.
Hmm thatā€™s interesting are they similar in coloring to the one that I caught?

Grant22
Grant22
Trout Slayer_7 said:
Thatā€™s a redband.

6C372C3E-35FB-4B05-96B4-AA8A2C84A0B1.jpeg

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Trout Slayer_7 said:
Every trout picture I posted on this thread are Mckenzie redsides. I don't see similarity in shape or spotting.

Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
jamisonace said:
Every trout picture I posted on this thread are Mckenzie redsides. I don't see similarity in shape or spotting.
Yeah I agree with that they look very different making me think itā€™s a different species or at least a different strain

Iā€™ve caught redbands before in central Oregon but they have a different coloring.

61EF7D7B-4098-4375-8297-91454D1A3402.jpeg

Reactions: Admin