fish id, please?

N
ninja2010
so i went to riverside to chuck some hardware... fifth cast and i get this tug, tug, tug...

fish on! now i have to land it so i could finally say i've caught something in the pacific nw after 2 years.

well, i did land it. but i don't know what it is. can someone help me id this?

looks like a smelt or snook... since i'm not sure, i let it go.

apr509fish.jpg

O
osmosis
It's a whitefish. The clack is full of 'em.
Think you have enough swivels on that?

Last edited:
C
chris61182
osmosis said:
It's a whitefish. The clack is full of 'em.
Think you have enough swivels on that?

Osmosis nailed it, it's a whitefish. I've always thought they look surprisingly a lot like bonefish.

N
ninja2010
thanks for the id, osmo. too many swivels? is that bad? please advice...

and chris, that woosy whitefish sure didn't fight like a bonefish at all.

O
osmosis
one swivel by itself usually makes a spinner too front heavy and it doesn't track the way a spinner should. double the swivels double the problem. not only that, it dramatically changes how contact gets transmitted to you.
Any good spinner should not need a swivel. If your getting lots of line twist, toss the spinner in the garbage or rebuild it properly.

I also noticed the split ring above the hook and the unnecessary bearing bead Above the clevise. Heck I can tell through the picture that the wire isn't even straight (not your fault most of the spinners of that brand I've seen have that problem). Coiled wire should not be used for spinner building. There isn't even enough wire included for you to be able to tune the spinner between fish. If a spinner's wire isn't perfectly straight you are not fishing even close to your potential.

you wont see me tie one of those onto my line.

N
ninja2010
thanks again, osmo. didn't realize there's so much to a simple piece of lure. learned something new fer sure.

C
capblack
whitefish

whitefish

yehh, its a whitefish, I caught one about a month ago in Detroit lake. a lot of people like them, I cooked it like a trout, and my daughter had no complaints at all. Brian