First winter action

Y
youngbuck307
So me and fishkiller finally where able to get into some chrome. We started are day by leaving portland around 4:45. Got to the coast right at first light. We were fishing a system that we had never fished befor and didn’t know what to expect. We were thinking that we could start at the hatch and work are way down. but when we got there there were already a crap load of people fishing there. To top it all off we didn't like what kind of water the guys were fishing so we moved down river some. Fished one hole with nothing and moved down to the next one. After being there for a few min a guy way working his way down the hole hooked up. I stopped fishing and walked up to see his fish. he looked at me and asked if I wanted it. I only have 2 spots on my tag and wanted to save them. But alex has a lil more room and no fish in the freazer so he took it......

We beat the crap out of the hole tossing everything we had... We started to think the guy had got the only bitter around.. I was getting lazy and went back to bobber and jig (orange). After making a few cast to the other side of the hole. my bobber slowly slipped under. almost like it was tapping bottom. and it came back up. But I knew that I had never did that in that spot before so mad a cast to the same spot. NOTHING..... so agen......nothing.... one more time..... and slowly that bobber starts to slide under..... reel down a lil and set it all in the same motion. BAM fish on. He put up a good lil fight befor i was able to put him on the bank... He wasn’t huge or supper bright but still my FIRST winter fish (old man on the bank said it was late summer).I walked up to get the fish bag out of the car and smoke a cigarette. I get back tag my fish pick up my rod and cast to the same spot.... nothing think to myself hey one more just to see..... AND when it got to the exact spot as the last fish was. BAM agen bobber shoots down this time and I tighten my line and set the hook. get excited and start to gain a lil on him. he got into a some water that wasn’t to deep and just freaked out like I haven’t had a fish do to me... My Drag just started scramming out like its never done befor.. Fish came out of the water.... CHROME BRIGHT! did a back flip in the air and next thing I know my bobber is coming straight for me and hits me. He spit my jig and thought he would be funny and toss the stuff back to me......

A lil while latter Alex is still tossing a bright pink jig and get fish on. This thing was pissed and got air born on us quite a few times. We got her to the bank and it was a nice chrome hen.

So all in all a great day fishing.:dance::yay::yay:dance:

J
JeeperGal
You sure nail a lot of fish! Sounds like a fun day!

Y
youngbuck307
LOL ummmm i do ok.... but alex will have pics up in a lil bite

M
metalmania
Nice work on the first winter man:clap:.

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah a lot of fish should be on coastal rivers. And I am officialy Jealous!
:clap:

N
ninja2010
dang nice, guys... grt job on the chromers.

i've got plenty of slots on my tag... hopefully i can fill in one slot tomorrow...

N
nointrntrprts
right on!

right on!

:clap:

F
FishKiller23
ninja2010 said:
dang nice, guys... grt job on the chromers.

i've got plenty of slots on my tag... hopefully i can fill in one slot tomorrow...

Well lets hit it some time man.

T
Thuggin4Life
Ah those are cute little fish. lol. jk. Good job guys I got into some first winter steel today as well.

Last edited:
Diehard
Diehard
dang

dang

right on sounds like you guys were tearin it up today way to go so what times the barb'q :cool:

M
Mike123
Sweet! :clap:

Orange huh...? I have one orange jig that I've never used, maybe I should try it out.

Y
youngbuck307
Yea they werent to big but still faught harder than coho i have got that were bigger.

And yea it was a light orange with a lil bit of white. got it from Bobberdown(cascade jigs).

T
Thuggin4Life
No those were nice fish. Bout average size for the summer runners we get here. I like to go after the bigger winter fish on the coast. Not sure how your runs are. Good job I'm a bit jealous.

F
FishKiller23
There is some good sized steelheads to get thats for sure. The one Tom lost was a bit bigger then these. also good job on getting some steel .

B
Bohemian
Good looking fish! Way to go :clap::clap::clap:

C
Chrome_Chaser
Nice bright chromers guys.

T
Thuggin4Life
Its just a happy chrome domer day to us. Man can't wait to cook some up.

Y
youngbuck307
I know i have to wait till monday it sucks! about to just say it was evan a smaller fish and cut a lil bit off to cook.... they wont know right?

T
Troutier Bassier
So it fought more then a coho?

Y
youngbuck307
yea it did the one i lost was WAY better than any coho i have had yet..... There have been some that run and you can't turn but just seemed like they have more exposive power... out of the blue they just take 20-30 feet of line befor you can evan somewhat put the breaks on them... i was fishing 12/10 Max ug and a few times had to let him go a lil and do what he was going to do.