First try at St. Louis Ponds

J
J4excellence
I heard they planted 1000 legals in Pond 3 so my wife and I showed up there a little after 7:00 am on Saturday. There was no-one at Pond 3, but we tried it anyway for about 3 hours and didn't even get a bite on worms, Powerbait and several different spinners.

Finally checked out all the commotion at Pond 6 and learned it had also been stocked on Friday and the bite was on!. We moved over there and within a couple hours my wife caught 4, all on white Powereggs. Just before it started a wind whipped deluge of rain and hail, I caught one myself and we got out of there.

Just as we were making our move to Pond 6 one fisherman was leaving with a nice limit, including a couple well over 12 inches. He told us he caught them all on a gold colored Kastmaster. Meanwhile over at Pond 3 it seemed like the fish were pretty lethargic, perhaps stuffed on runoff worms from the recent rains. I didn't see a fish caught out of #3 all day.

Overall I was impressed with St. Louis Ponds. There are some recently installed paved sidewalks that make for increased access. Given this past week's major rainstorms, the ponds were in pretty good shape and fishing not bad.

• St. Louis Ponds March 5, 2011.jpg
Reactions: skunk and Admin
M
Markcanby
I think this time of year they only stock pond 6

M
markasd
Awesome - grew up out around there and they didn't stock em like that then. Nice catch!

Admin
Admin
Fatties :clap:

S
skunk
Bright fatties!!!

Reactions: Markcanby
J
J4excellence
Markcanby said:
I think this time of year they only stock pond 6

I got conflicting information on that. One guy fishing at St. Louis said they didn't stock pond 3, but rather put all the fish in number 6. Another fisherman said they put what he called 1,000 "little ones" in pond 3 on Wednesday and that he caught his limit there. The ODFW stocking report line confirmed pond 3 as stocked on Wednesday, but as of Thursday night did not mention anything about pond 6. I was told pond 6 was stocked some time Friday and that the fish there were mostly a little bigger than just legal, which was certainly the case judging by the catch. So it seems like the best bet is to just follow the people because when the bites on, news travels fast. ;)

W
waco
Nice fish!!! BTW ODFW doesn't even know where he stock the fish!!!! BIG NEWS!!! :shock: :shock:

M
Markcanby
I must say the few times I have gone out there I wasn't sure where I was. Those ponds snake around some much but as far as I know before the gates open they stock pond 6 an after its open pond 3

D
durantmatt
When do they open the gates? I drove up there from Eugene about a month ago on a weekend and the gate was closed. So I ventured out on a path to a pond that no one was fishing. I think I had one nibble when I changed to a drop shot (I was bass fishing).

S
shimano22
gates are open as of this week they stoked 3 on wednesday i think and 6 on friday. all the ponds are labled with plackards and it can be confusing, but they are labled.

Reactions: Markcanby
J
J4excellence
Markcanby said:
I must say the few times I have gone out there I wasn't sure where I was. Those ponds snake around some much but as far as I know before the gates open they stock pond 6 an after its open pond 3

Hey, there's a great map of St. Louis ponds posted in this forum. It's a really nice homemade one in pdf. If you go down about 4 threads from this one you'll see one entitled "St. Louis Ponds map". It was posted by Anyfishfine back in May of 2009. This map helped me figure out where I was at out there. It's true the ponds are marked with plackards, but the sign for pond 3 was not readable when I went.

M
Moosebonsai
Well done!

A
aw0000001
I don't know if anyone's still reading this but because of all the conflicting information let's get some things cleared out: They only stock pond 6 now, but pretty sure they used to stock only pond 3 or only pond 3 and 6, up to a few years ago so that's why theres reports of both. Hope this helps.