First timer please help

B
bigdog
Ok so this is my first year trying stealhead and samon and I need help. I have to fish off the bank no boat here and trying to find some good spots on the clack up towards estacada so if anyoone could help that would be great. Look foward to hearing from you all thanks
CJ:pray:

J
JTLunker
Welcome to the site CJ. There are plenty of places to fish on the Clack. Up around Estacada is McIver State Park. I have never fished there but hear a lot of fish are caught there. You can also try Barton Park, Eagle Creek, and Carver bridge area.

B
bigdog
I'll have to check them out next weekend. I have been going below faraday under the dam everyone seems to get one but me lol. not sure what I'm doing yet but learning little as I go on. Seems some places need real heavy line and others the lighter the better. Any tips that help would be great. How do you know when the fish are in so to speak?
CJ

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
bigdog wants a bigfish!!

bigdog wants a bigfish!!

Welcome to the BIGGEST little fishing forum in the west,CJ. Man, have you come to the right spot for info! :D Be sure to check the other posts in this section. There are dozens of posts on the Clackamas. Hopefully,you will be so impressed with all the help and information you can find here, you'll post here often yourself. ;) Don't forget, we love pictures...quality doesn't always matter. Again, welcome to OFF! :D :dance: :D

F
FishFinger
Hey BigDog,

You have come to the right place for fishing info...

The Clackamas eh? Great river w/ lots of opportunities to hook fish. Soon Chinook and silvers will be entering the river. For the majority of the returning fish, Eagle Creek hatchery is the end of the line. For steelhead you often have the chance to catch one the entire length of the river.

The best advice I can offer is to find a place with public access and start spending time figuring out where the fish are/ will hold; then figure out how your going to get your gear in front of them. So find "your" spot and understand what the water is doing hence where the fish would be.

As far as gear a spinning reel is fine w/ 15 lbs test, Use 1/0 hooks & 8 lbs leader and just enough lead to skip over the rocks if drift fishing. Shortly cluster egg are going to be the rage for salmon, but don't overlook bright coloured spinners including green.

Remember to pinch the barbs, even on the treble hooks. Barb-less hooks make it easier to unhook the fish rather than ripping its mouth to shred's.

Pack it in - Pack it out. Take your trash with you instead of leaving it on the bank for someone else. And if you see trash pack it out as well.

B
bigdog
Thanks for the info hope to get something soon I got a good size steal last weekend but was a native so had to let it go. Man thats hard to do.

Trust me I always take my garbage with me and other as well i hate it when people leave crap all over. All that does is cuase big brother to close areas out.

Any other info is more then thankfull like I said this is my first time going for the big fish..
CJ

A
ArcticAmoeba
Hey, at least you actually caught something, and a wild fish at that is pretty special. Hope it got treated well. It is hard to let go, but those hatchery gened wild fish are also the ones in danger from all the wicked difficult conditions it faces before coming back up mature...For a first timer targeting the salmon/steelhead in the local rivers, you are already doing better than most. Keep it up. You are on the right track.

F
FishFinger
absoulty, hooking into natives is a badge of honor. Take some picts if you have a chance.

B
Boywhofishes
nice job on a native :clap: it's such a rush to hook one of those guys :clap:

B
bigdog
yeah he was released with out harm and was fun to bring in but will never know how good he taste I want something I can bring home lol
CJ

A
ArcticAmoeba
I am getting a lot of hookups with Jack Chinook lately...Most of which have been wild, but that is because I have been fishing pretty high up on the Clackamas, down lower there are probably a bunch of brat Jacks ripe to be taken. 5 a day, and better eating than the big guys. Kind of like giant hard fighting trout, fun in a way, but dang I can't keep them off of my gear! And they fight so hard, they de-tune my spinners just enough to make it not fish properly, just barely... Frusterating when you are targeting big fish, but still fun, none the less, just loosen up your drag, and play 'em a little. Not only is it more fun to NOT horse a fish in, for wild runners it is better to tire 'em out a bit before removing hook, and releasing, they seem to be easier to properly, and quickly deal with after a little workout.

B
bigdog
Ok cool so where is it when it's called upper and lower? Is the estacada area what you would call uper or are we talkiking more up the road then that?
CJ

F
FishFinger
bigdog said:
Ok cool so where is it when it's called upper and lower? Is the estacada area what you would call uper or are we talkiking more up the road then that?
CJ

Perhaps I can help with this one.

While Eagle Creek may not be the center of the river it is usually considered the defining line between upper and lower.
Estacata and all points east would be the "upper river".

A
ArcticAmoeba
CHA CHING! The FishFinger has it nailed...Thanks Dan! Concise, simple explanation. Sweet.

B
bigdog
yes thank you now that helps me understand more of where i should be going.
saw a lot of them jumping around at mciver park this weekend but no luck for me yet. was told they haven't made there way up that far yet but seems there was some there to me
CJ

A
ArcticAmoeba
bigdog said:
yes thank you now that helps me understand more of where i should be going.
saw a lot of them jumping around at mciver park this weekend but no luck for me yet. was told they haven't made there way up that far yet but seems there was some there to me
CJ

Those were either the Tule run of Chinook that the Clack gets, or really old Springers, that have completely bronzed out. I saw a lot of them rolling above Rivermill the other day, and hooked into a big ugly wild nook...They are not worht targeting, but sometimes they bite, just not as much as the freshies...

B
bigdog
so the meat is no good then i have been told by some it isn't good and others that it is
CJ

F
FishFinger
bigdog said:
so the meat is no good then i have been told by some it isn't good and others that it is
CJ

Bright fish have the flavor. They are fresh from the sea and the meat is red and rich. Tulie fish have a place, often times it's in the smoker or served highly seasoned.

What you decide to legally retain is your choice. Most (not all) release dark fish, allowing them to continue their journeys; while choosing to fill their tags with fresh fish worthy of making a outstandingly tasty meal.

On the other hand the experience you gain fighting a darker fish is priceless, especially when your just getting your feet wet in the sport.

B
bigdog
Yeah I am just getting started but really do want the good tasting meat I guess if I get one I might keep one to smoke up and then keep the good ones to eat other wise
CJ

F
FishFinger
That's not unreasonable at all. Experience is the key. After you've experienced consuming a fin clipped tulie you'll fully understand why most folks release them... lol.

While the calender might suggest the run(s) are late..... (normally I'd have a few coho in the freezer) The truth is the returning Salmon are just now beginning to make their appearance.

If you spend enough time on the water your efforts could /should be rewarded.