First-timer options: drift Oxbow to Dabney or bank higher up?

L
LawyerBob
Long time lurker and researcher, first time poster. Seems like a much nicer crowd here than Ifish, so I figured I'd see if any regulars cared to share some wisdom.

I'm planning to hit the Sandy for the first time this Saturday with two rookie buddies and am trying to decide between banking or boating. I have a 15' wood drift boat that has a UHMW bottom so it can slide over rocks. Needless to say, we're going after Coho.

• Drift: Oxbow to Dabney. I hear this run has good holes and is relatively safe.
  • Bank: Cedar Creek or Dodge Park and hiking in to get away from the crowd.

I've read the Coho generally shoot up the river pretty fast to CC, so I'm rather concerned the drift might cover unproductive water. That's really my main reservation.

I'll be running spinners/spoons, buddy 1 bobber and jigs; buddy 2 bobber and eggs. Odds are we'll largely use the boat to just shuttle between spots. I have several highly recommended books and have hit the forums pretty hard, but I'm still undecided.

Any thoughts? Looks like troutmasta's indicated the water's presently a choco milkshake. Hopefully it'll clear up by tomorrow for an awesome weekend trip. :pray:

Disclaimer. This communication neither constitutes legal advice nor is not intended to create a lawyer-client relationship. Further, be advised this author is not presently engaged in the practice of law.

F
flyguy202011
depends if yah want to fish brown water? haha sandy is pretty blown!

T
Throbbit _Shane
lol @ the disclaimer at the bottom of the post.

If its your first time ever out in your drift boat you might want to have some one who is experienced on the sticks come along.

L
LawyerBob
I am fairly confident on the sticks, although I’ve only ran the lower Wilson thus far. Figured I’d try the Sandy next; maybe check out the Santiam down the road. The Wilson was nice... but really smelly (cows).

I’m leaning on drifting rather than banking, seeing as I would need to learn the water anyway if I plan to run it for winter steelhead.

I’ll check around and see what people say when comparing Oxbow to Dabney vs Dabney to L&C. Down the road I might also have to see if any OFF members want to snag an open seat. I only have one frequent flier. (=

E
eggs
IMO Oxbow > Dabney is better fishing but requires bit more skills on the sticks compared to Dabney > L&C.. both are pretty easy runs to row to be honest. If you don't want crowds take your chances on Oxbow > Dabney.. the hike in holes around Dodge & CC will require hanging with a dozen of your new closest buddies.

W
waco
Go to the coast! I went yesterday and we went 4-8 on nooks!

F
fishsauce
eggs said:
IMO Oxbow > Dabney is better fishing but requires bit more skills on the sticks compared to Dabney > L&C.. both are pretty easy runs to row to be honest. If you don't want crowds take your chances on Oxbow > Dabney.. the hike in holes around Dodge & CC will require hanging with a dozen of your new closest buddies.

What he said. I am new on the sticks and have only done 6 floats now. If you have experience on the sticks, Dabney to Lewis & Clark is a breeze. Oxbow to Dabney is a little more challenging, but that's depending on what new hazards are created after each rain event. Ox to Dab is also better water compared to Dab to L&C.

L
LawyerBob
Thanks for the pointers all. River forecasts are saying last night's rain doubled the CFS discharge. I might go out there on foot just to play in the mud and work on my technique or lack thereof. (=

T
the rookie
im new what is the sticks ?

E
eggs
Oars