First time

A
autofisher
So today was my first time in control of a fly rod. I've held off because it kind of intimidated me. I've always loved watching fly fishermen and wanted to do it. So I headed out to a local pond and decided to get to work with my 8 wt fly rod.
I won't lie. It was freakin awesome. A couple of guys gave me some tips, and one even pulled me aside and basicly gave me lessons. I could never explain to him how grateful I was. He worked with me for about a half hour or so, and really helped get me into a groove. I love it! Now I just need a fish to bite my fly.

H
halibuthitman
aaaaahhh..... the force is strong in this one... come to the dark side....

T
Troutier Bassier
I hooked about 7 steelhead with a piece o crap foam handled 6wt. None landed. Freakin awesome..

J
JeannaJigs
Man it's the best! I was always afraid of lookin' special ed with mine so I had it for several years before I took it out and finally used it this summer, and once i did, I was hooked, though I'm sure I did look special ed initially, I got some looks..but I caught fish and the only way I can explain it is, it was the same feeling I had when I caught my first steelhead, only it was just a little trout, but I was high on life that whole weekend lol. So cool watching a trout rise to a dry fly and setting the hook at just the right time. I just have a 5/6 weight though. I really really want an 8 for steelhead on the yachats after talkin' to a friend of mine and seeing his pictures. I'm gonna have to breakdown and just set aside some funds for an 8 weight.

A
autofisher
halibuthitman said:
aaaaahhh..... the force is strong in this one... come to the dark side....

Anytime you want to get together and show me the path..... let me know.... I have no clue as to what I'm really doing. Right now I'm just trying to get the form and the rythem down. Heck, I don't even know most of the names for the flies.

Oh and Jigs...... I know that you're bummed you didn't win the fly rod.....but let's just say, I'm working on a few things .......maybe there'll be another at the next one.

J
JeannaJigs
I know where Brandon lives. There might be a B&E in the near future, in which the only thing that comes up missing is that 8 wt lol.

I've been meaning to buy one for a while, but when I went in to the flyshop, I was bombarded with the whole 'if you don't buy this model you won't catch fish' sales pitch and then almost had a heart attack when i peeped the price tag. I don't want a fancy rod, I'm not a fly angler. I will always have spinning gear, but...fly fishing is a heck of a fun break from the regular routine. It's totally relaxing, but keeps me busy. I just want something that will throw big bugs to steelhead and not snap in half in the event that I hook something of good size.

and as far as names for flies go...I don't know the names either...I call 'em whatever they look like...works for me? You know that fuzzy black one with red wings, it kills 'em at Lava Lake in September.

H
halibuthitman
Its too bad the fear of lookin bad holds so many back from such a fantastic obsession... funny thing, this summer I was standing on the bank of the anchor river, I could see about ten flyfishermen fishing, and only two had any form at all, but they were all catching fish, so GET OUT THERE!

A
autofisher
At least I have a better idea as to what I'm doing now compared to when I was younger. Picking my lures and what not because it caught my eye... didn't matter what the fish might want as long as I thought it was cool. Thus, I was no fishing master when I was younger and have learned what I know in the last few years.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah except for most days of the week you won't find much for fishing gear in his house. for some reason it's ussually here. By the way you want to buy an 8wt fly rod in the box from cabella's? I think I have one in the corner of the garage I'm not using. Save you a B&E charge. And for some reeason I have a bit of your gear as well.

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
Yeah except for most days of the week you won't find much for fishing gear in his house. for some reason it's ussually here. By the way you want to buy an 8wt fly rod in the box from cabella's? I think I have one in the corner of the garage I'm not using. Save you a B&E charge. And for some reeason I have a bit of your gear as well.

What do you have of mine?!

I know I lost my bag of jerky somewhere. Lol. Realized that this morning when I was lookin' for breakfast lol.

J
JeannaJigs
autofisher said:
At least I have a better idea as to what I'm doing now compared to when I was younger. Picking my lures and what not because it caught my eye... didn't matter what the fish might want as long as I thought it was cool. Thus, I was no fishing master when I was younger and have learned what I know in the last few years.

Yep. Pretty lures catch fisherman, not fish. I've slowly learned this. But...I still buy some flashy stuff once in a while because it can't be helped.

A
autofisher
I picked up a couple of flies tonight. I'm not counting on anything yet, but at least I feel a little better prepared.

T
Troutier Bassier
Come to Eagle Creek sometime, you have a fair chance of hooking up. Great place for a fly fishers..

N
ninja2010
well, well, well, autofisher... it won't be long now before the obsession bug bites... it only took me 5 trouts to ditch my drift, bobber and spinner setups.

and it only took 2 months to migrate from a 5 wt to two-handed spey style... this is a very addictive enigma. now my skunk trips are even awesome - simply because i get to fling my fly and watch the loops unfurl... aaaah!

A
autofisher
Troutier Bassier said:
Come to Eagle Creek sometime, you have a fair chance of hooking up. Great place for a fly fishers..

Weather permitting, I might be sneaking up there Wednesday.

B
beaverfan
The weather will permit you to come up, just this once though! Can't wait to get some ink on my tag! (not saying it's GONNA be tomorrow but hopefully)

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
aaaaahhh..... the force is strong in this one... come to the dark side:shock:....

No No No! Come into the light Autofisher...keep walking towards the light....

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
No No No! Come into the light Autofisher...keep walking towards the light....

The light...? well mr onthefly... I was informed quite sternly as a child, by a fat woman holding a deep fat fried snickers bar.. that TEXAS is GODS country, therfore making me have serious doubts as to my desire to go to heaven, but hey thats another thread.... point is, TEXAS=SUN=bass=GOD= the light.... so I can't see any reason to send someone to the light... its always dark and gloomy on my beloved Kilchis;) (but im pretty sure ive seen God in that country too)

O
OnTheFly
JeannaJigs and as far as names for flies go...I don't know the names either...I call 'em whatever they look like...works for me? You know that fuzzy black one with red wings said:
How 'bout put'n on ah Louisiana Hair Tick....dipped in beer! :lol:

If there's a local fly shop there in Eugene stop in and start stocking up on steelhead flys. Most patterns include, Red and Green Butt Skunk, Eggsucking Leaches, Fraight Train, Polar Shrimp, etc. Also, here's a sight full of eye candy. Enjoy:)Steelhead Flies

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
The light...? well mr onthefly... I was informed quite sternly as a child, by a fat woman holding a deep fat fried snickers bar.. that TEXAS is GODS country, therfore making me have serious doubts as to my desire to go to heaven, but hey thats another thread.... point is, TEXAS=SUN=bass=GOD= the light.... so I can't see any reason to send someone to the light... its always dark and gloomy on my beloved Kilchis;) (but im pretty sure ive seen God in that country too)

Regarding the snickers bar; what did she do threaten to beat you with it?:lol:
Probably not 'cause she ate it instead. I don't know what it does in Texas but when I discovered fly fishing I found the 'Light'.:D