First time to hagg lake, help

F
fishnick
Hello,

I am going to Hagg lake for the first time today for an evening fish. I plan on fishing from 4 until Dusk. I will be fishing from the bank and it will be my first time at the lake.

I have never fished for bass, sunfish, crappie, or catfish but I want to give it a shot..

What kind of bait should I use? Techniques? Are there any good spots?

Ill take any feedback I can get, I am leaving shortly so please help ASAP!!!

Thanks,
Nick :)

W
waco
you can not go wrong with worms!! try to put it under a bobber!!

troutdude
troutdude
Worms or Power Eggs "off" the bottom will work too...for trout mostly.

For cats, you want something smelly--like semi rotten chicken liver--on the bottom.

F
FishSchooler
Go to the left side of boat ramp A (looking from up above it)

Rig from top to bottom
Mainline
1/2 oz egg sinker ( or heavier depending on wind )
Barrel Swivel
36 inch leader no heavier than 6 lb line (I use 6 lb flouro there)
size 8 or 10 single egg hook (or just a pretty small hook)
Put 2 power eggs on the hook and make sure the hook floats! chartreuse/limegreen/pink seems to work best
Cast out 40-50 feet
and wait
Pretty boring but its what works and almost everyone does at hagg :p
If you arent getting bites work your way towards the dam and vary your casting distance

Sorry a little late but this can be for next time

C
cookshot
I'm a senko guy personally. I would just search "hagg" on the forum, there are countless threads just like this one. Hope you have more luck than I ever did there.

troutdude
troutdude
What is "senko"?

C
cookshot
It's basically a plastic worm.

Personally I think they are better than their counterparts in GULP, Roboworms, etc, but thats probably because I am too stubborn to try any of them. You can rig them a couple different ways, the best being texas and wacky style, I'm partial to texas. Great bass lure, google those two ways to rig and if you can't get er figured out let me know and I might be able to show you how with a couple pictures or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
OK. cool. I learned something new.

One thing, that I noticed right away...the heads of the "worms" are on the hook; with the tail trailing behind.

I learned a time back--from Oregon guide Buzz Ramsey--to always thread a worm, so the head in on or near the hook. Why? Because a fish is a predator. And a predator always goes for the "kill shot", by attacking the head. In short...more hook-ups!

F
fishnick
thanks for all the info everyone!

Went today for several hours and got a few bites.

I am mainly interested in bass fishing, with lures if possible. Are there any good spots to try? pm me..? tips for bass fishing (im a virgin)? I will be at the lake for the day tomorrow.

C
cookshot
I never fish with a headed hook when using worms, but you can do it a few ways, (carolina, bullet weight, jig head hook). I always thought they just ate plastic worms because of the smell, and the falling action, like something that just got dropped in the water. If its swimming it always made sense to me that if they are trying to catch up to it, they will bite the tail first. Probably all incorrect, but that is the theory I fish with.

Fishnick, I just moved back to the Banks area and am not working right now (substitute teacher), and have no one to fish with currently. So if you wanted to go out sometime to hagg I would be glad to show you how I fish senkos, I fished hagg a lot in college and never had any knockout days but I've pulled some out of there. PM me if interested.

W
wormosa
troutdude said:
OK. cool. I learned something new.

One thing, that I noticed right away...the heads of the "worms" are on the hook; with the tail trailing behind.

I learned a time back--from Oregon guide Buzz Ramsey--to always thread a worm, so the head in on or near the hook. Why? Because a fish is a predator. And a predator always goes for the "kill shot", by attacking the head. In short...more hook-ups!
i agree with you, when i fish hagg i always use the head part on all my worms first, the fish there love the heads !!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
I use the counterpart to Senkos, Yum Dingers and they work just as well and are a little cheaper. I only fish them texas and wacky styles right now, and it works! bass fishing is a lot fun, i just recently started.