First time taking the boat on the river for springers.

M
micaheli
I've put hundreds of hours into plunking with zero fish banked. I feel like a pro w/plunking theory and tying setups. I'm not doing anything wrong (not my words, but the words of veteran plunkers), it just seems like the presentation from a boat is better than from the shore. Whatever the reason, I decided to take the boat out instead.

Over the weekend I made sure the boat was up to the task, running well, clean, etc. Bought an anchor setup today and I think I'm finally ready to test it out. (Don't worry, I won't try it the first time in a hogline... I'll go somewhere remote.. I'm one of those rare courteous and common-sense enabled fishermen).

All of that said, I need some validation with my fishing setup. I bought a couple "Jumbo Jet" divers in blue. (Blue seemed to be the color to get since a couple minutes after I made my selection, they were all bought out by some guide who snatched up 10+ of them and asked me if I wanted mine...). I also have several sizes and colors of spin'n'glo's and a good assortment of beads, corkies and hooks.

My plan is to use a 3' leader with a smallish spin'n'glo & Prawn on a 2/0 treble hook. I see people jigging with the divers... whats the procedure here? Are they bouncing it on the bottom? These things dive to 50' feet and I know most of the river is 20-30feet deep... so it seems logical that they are bouncing it.

I always tend to over think stuff.. Set me straight. What do I need to do?

--Micah

brandon4455
brandon4455
when you see people "jigging" diver and bait they are back bouncing. just anchoring in current or have the motor going just enough to keep you in place. having a full arsenal will help out though, or having more hen one person in your boat that way you can use different size and color combos or different baits on each rod. kwikfish,backbouncing, prawn spinnersand trolling herring with flashers are all good options while fishing in a boat on the willamette.

Last edited:
M
micaheli
Thanks! Even though "jigging" seemed a bit condescending, I know what you mean. :) I have a couple sizes and colors of kwikfish, wiggle warts, and spinners of sorts. I imagine we'll figure it out as we go.. but sounds like I'm off to a start anyways. Now I just have to figure out releasing the anchor and drifting if we get a fish on.

brandon4455
brandon4455
if you have another person it should be easy. if your fishign below the falls watch out for them seals! :lol: good luck out there.

N
NavyBTret
We did well yesterday(5 keepers) using spinner and prawn behind divers. I would use a spinner blade(I like a chartreuse stripe) above some beads or corkies. Then instead of a treble hook I'd use two single hooks rigged tandem. Place the top hook in the tail and the bottom hook under the head. Preferably keeping the prawn bent so that it spins a little in the water.
Good luck next time. And if there is a sea lion around when you hook a fish put your thumbs on the spool and horse that fish in or the lion will get him.

M
micaheli
NavyBTret said:
We did well yesterday(5 keepers) using spinner and prawn behind divers. I would use a spinner blade(I like a chartreuse stripe) above some beads or corkies. Then instead of a treble hook I'd use two single hooks rigged tandem. Place the top hook in the tail and the bottom hook under the head. Preferably keeping the prawn bent so that it spins a little in the water.
Good luck next time. And if there is a sea lion around when you hook a fish put your thumbs on the spool and horse that fish in or the lion will get him.

Sweet! I have a few of the things you speak of. ;) What would you say to using the spinner, beads, then a bait wire through the shrimp into a treble? Would give more control over the lure shape/spin/etc. I guess I'm asking what the benefit of the tandem over treble is?

N
NavyBTret
I just think you get better good solid hookups with tandem single hooks. I also use a third hook while trolling herring. I believe there is a better chance of a hookup using two or three hooks at different spots on the bait rather than three hooks at the same location. But it may just be personal preference.

Reactions: halibuthitman
H
halibuthitman
NavyBTret said:

very sound advice