First time on the Deschutes yesterday

T
TimberTodd
After a year of trying I finally had the opportunity to fish with Brad aka Halibuthitman yesterday. We arrived at Mecca Flats around 8:30 and were greeted with a temp. of 14 degrees and 6" of snow. Late season summer steelhead was our target, but the day was filled with a cornucopia of species. We fished beads under an indicator while focusing on areas no more than 25' out. The day ended with Brad landing 1 steel and several white fish. He also saved my glove from floating down river as I was clearing iced guides (THANK YOU). I landed my first steelhead on the fly rod, 1 nice rainbow, several white fish and a surprising 20" bull trout. Brad was able to snap a picture of the bull trout on his camera. I nabbed several scenery photos while trying to get my joints to limber up. Thank you Brad for a great day. You taught me a lot about reading water and[ proper presentation. I am looking forward to fishing with you again.
IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0005.jpgIMG_0006.jpg

Reactions: Irishrover
Irishrover
Irishrover
Great pictures I can almost smell the sage and juniper.

J
JeannaJigs
Sure looks nicer with snow than it does during the summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chromatose
Chromatose
Very Nice detour to be @ the Mighty D..............................Good for you guys!!!!!

H
halibuthitman
Yesterday was a fantastic day, considering I was planning on taking Todd to the John Day, which is currently frozen... you can actually walk across the river on ice. So as apposed to canceling and trying again later we just committed to going fishing, and it paid off. I was hoping to swing some flies but 14 degrees for several days can really shut the fish off. Beads Always produce. I really enjoyed spending the day with you Todd, and your respect for the fish is uplifting to see. The steelhead we caught were ready to spawn and the 14 degree air temp wouldn't have helped them any for a photo shoot. Im sure yesterdays temps, ice and solitude were more than enough of a memory, scratched the steelhead, bull, whitefish and Redside off the list in four hours... I was happy to just be there. Now, a winter steelhead! The Bull trout was in great shape, so.. why not a little grip and grin-

O
OnTheDrop
Excellent report... Love that stretch! It's mystical when no one is around there..

T
TimberTodd
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Excellent report... Love that stretch! It's mystical when no one is around there..

I could not get over how quiet it was. That along with the scenery was something else! We had maybe 6 people walk past us towards the campground.

T
TimberTodd
halibuthitman said:
Im sure yesterdays temps, ice and solitude were more than enough of a memory, scratched the steelhead, bull, whitefish and Redside off the list in four hours... I was happy to just be there.

It is definitely a trip I will always remember and one that will be hard to beat. Thank you again!

S
sapo
Looks awesome! I might head down there soon.

B
Billamicasr
Thanks for those Bull Trout photos. Amazingly I've never see one in person, or even in (real) photos.
Sort of looks like a dark Dolly V. You can see the ribs in the belly cavity; I'm guessing the scales are very small.
I won't forget your photo in case I happen upon one.

Bill