First time on OFF

B
Buck
Just found this site awhile ago and there is a lot of good information here. So, I joined today. Here is my introductory story:

I made my first ever trip to Green Peter last Thursday. Not too bad of a trip from the coast, but didn't exactly get there at "O'dark-thirty". The journey went well through Lebanon and Sweet Home, but I drove right past the left turn to the reservoir and dam (having never been there before) and had to turn around and go back. Finally got to Thistle boat launch and found out it is a long, single boat ramp and most of the "veteran" GP anglers were already out on the water.

Now to tell something on myself. I live at the coast and religiously wash my boat after using it in the salt. Can you fill in the "rest of the story"? Backed down the ramp, launched, a guy graciously offered to hold the boat for me since the limited shoreline space was taken up.

Just getting ready get back in the truck when I noticed water in the back of the boat. There is the plug sitting in the tray where I left it after my last washing. Pulled the boat out, ran the bilge, let it drain, and told the guys in line I was going to move the back of the line since I didn't want to hold up all the guys WHO KNOW HOW TO LAUNCH THEIR OWN BOATS!

The guys next in line said "hey, you're here, just go ahead and launch ahead of us. A big thanks to those guys and to the guy who offered to hold my boat for me AFTER I LAUNCHED MY BOAT A SECOND TIME.

So, I'm finally out on the great GP at about 0730 without a real clue of where to go except the dam is somewhere down the reservoir to my right and there is an island out there somewhere. I piddle around out in the middle from the Thistle launch for awhile with some other boats, not seeing fish on the graph and no bites.

Finally pull the gear in and head to the dam. Lots of boats, but not much catching. I pick up a couple, but slow. So I move back up the lake a bit, graph a few fish, and start picking up a few. End up with nine there before the bite dies and the school dispersed, so I move again toward the dam (and away from the wind) and end up picking up another nine by 1pm which was my self-assigned deadline to head back to the coast.

I ended up with 18 beautiful kokes, much bigger than I have been catching at Odell. I caught 12 on the sep's watermelon dodger with a flourescent red glow hootchie, 10" leader for lots of action. The rest came on the other 10 dodger/lure/scent combinations I tried, but my homemade red glow/silver blade wedding rings accounted for three of those six. I shortened the leader on the wedding rings after not getting bites and that's when I picked up those fish. Maybe because these fish are bigger they want a little more lure action. Fished almost exclusively at 45' with a few at 35' and 50'. I leaned toward the glow lures because the fish were deep and the water surface was broken most of the time. I lost almost no fish, probably due to their chunky size. Once they struck they were on and stayed on.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Even with the slow start and a few misshapps sounds like you made a day out of it. I swear I have never forgot my plug just don't ask anyone or the turn to a place I have never been. Only thing your missing are some cool pictures to share. Welcome to OFF!

F
Finneus Polebender
Welcome to OFF glad to hear the plug was only a delay sounds like ya had a good day

B
bigsteel
good to have u here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nice pic

T
Thuggin4Life
Man those are some nice kokes!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Welcome to OFF Buck! Those koke's have some size to them, bet they taste great!

M
metalfisher76
Welcome aboard!!

G
ghostcow
Nice report and information makes for a great first post. Welcome aboard the board.

M
Moe
Welcome! Glad you caught some nice fish!

C
Combat Chuck
Awesome catch for not knowing where to go, even if you were an expert on the lake Id call that a great day. Welcome.

troutdude
troutdude
First, welcome to OFF. Glad to have ya on board.

Secondly, KUDOS to you for washing your boat.

Thirdly, NICE catch man! Way to go. Glad you had a good day (minus the plug thing).

Fourth, I'm happy to see that those other fisher peeps were nice and helped you out.

C
cwsmith
good work! yeah these are bigger than anything that i have seen at odell as well. but i think wallowa lake still has my vote ;)

S
strawberry shortcake
I make my own wedding rings and have used up my original store of teenage beading supplies. I just ordered salmon colored beads along with wedding rings and the glow in the dark beads (salmon colored of course) plus silver spinners. Can't wait for the supplies to get here so I can start up.

O
OnTheFly
I would say your day went very well despite your rocky start. Nice bunch of fish and welcome to the forum.

18406ej
18406ej
Just the kind of detailed report that we all love to see! Thanks, and welcome to OFF

C
capblack
welcome to OFF. Id say you did as well as any of the "veterans" at gp. nice catch, thanks for the report, Brian

B
Buck
A buddy and I hit GP yesterday for my second trip there and his first. Picked up fish pretty consistently but never really got dialed in through early afternoon when we packed it in with 15 fish. Very nice fish though, 14-15" with one that was almost 16". Many fish are losing their scales and are beginning to take on fall shape and color. We tried many different things to see what they wanted but couldn't seem to find one combination that produced consistently. The blue scale sling blade and red hootchie probably produced the most fish. Sorry no pics but I got home late after dropping my buddy off and forgot the camera on the trip. Wish I had with me when an osprey set up three times to dive at a koke I was bringing in. He backed off, but I was a little nervous about it.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like another great day on GP!

B
Buck
A buddy and I made our last trip to GP yesterday. After failing to graph any fish ANYWHERE I had fished in my previous trips, I was beginning to wonder if there was something I did not know about fishing for late season kokes at GP. However, as the day wore on, and it was a BEAUTIFUL day, we started to get dialed in a little. By the time we called it quits at 4pm, we had 27 nice fish. And the fish were biting regularly when we quit. Almost all fish were caught at 65' with a pink hootchie on an 8" leader. I shortened the leaders on the hunch that the fish may be more aggressive and I think it paid off. Tipped with tuna corn.