First time at St. Louis ponds

A
Anyfishisfine
I tried my luck with a little bass fishing at St. Louis ponds today. I caught 2 small ones. I probably would have done better, but my companion (4-legged variety) was being a PITA so I left early feeling there was much more potential to be had.

I have no idea what # pond I was fishing. I need a map or something. I love how they have the ponds set up though. Lots of easy access.

Edit - The dead deer someone mentioned months ago is still floating in the pond.

Last edited:
A
agiblin
first off a floating deer is gross. well i saw u got that map up. what pond were you in? i was there this morning and caught a small 8inch bass like really small within 30 seconds of my worm hitting the water. i will post a pic later. i let it go. ill be there tomorrow (sunday may 3rd) at pond one with one of my co workers and maybe my dog.

A
Anyfishisfine
Pond 6 or 7 had the deer. I'm not sure where I was most of the time, which is why I made the map.

That place is really cool, but it seems to be sort of run-down. Lots of garbage, and dead critters. That place is what I would dream of doing if I had the land for it (minus garbage and dead critters).

R
rainbowfisherman
the 2nd to last time i was there pond 3 had weeds everywhere. and then it got better last time i went. How is it now. Anyone catching any trout?

A
Anyfishisfine
No trout that I saw. Besides people with kids at pond 3, everyone seemed to be all about the bass.

A
agiblin
$#!+ on

$#!+ on

the weeds are pretty bad in pond 3. i fish a lot in pond 1. i lost 20 plus worms today they (im assuming the trout) were taking all my worms and not my trebles. im gonna be there at 6 tomorrow morning and will update tomorrow if i get anything or what the conditions are like. certain parts of 3 arent too bad but for the most part its got a lot of salad. anyone have any recommendations on other ponds to try? i just want to catch a keeper or 2.

Anyfishisfine said:
That place is really cool, but it seems to be sort of run-down. Lots of garbage, and dead critters. That place is what I would dream of doing if I had the land for it (minus garbage and dead critters).

im gonna agree with you and say that place could be a lot better. i went into the bathroom by pond 3 and there was $#!+ smeared on the toilet. that place would be so nice if the cleaned it up and maybe foud a way to remove the mass over growth of weeds. i can understand some to keep the habitat and the sport in it but its getting so bad in some place there isn't a happy medium. in spots on pond 3 you can't use a lure a bobber or bottom because all the weeds. i got off topic sorry i get carried away. i make the drive from keizer to that place because its peaceful and relaxing just needs a little work done and maybe more stocking since it was only stocked 3 times this year (maybe 4) and they dont have it listed to be stocked again this year... or at least i didn't see it on the schedule. any way im almost off work and gotta get home and to bed so i can get out there bright and early. if anyone comes out ill be on the north side of pond one come say hey. im there if u see my little silver bmw vert. (ill be in jeans blue jacket and beanie on.) hope to see you guys out there.:cool:

A
agiblin
lol

lol

Anyfishisfine said:
No trout that I saw. Besides people with kids at pond 3, everyone seemed to be all about the bass.

bass... who cares im gonna agree with you ... Any-fish-is-fine:D... lol i crack myself up:dance:.

A
Anyfishisfine
I bet those are bluegill stealing your worms. They are expert at that.

A
agiblin
i frankly dont care what is doing it they should just eat my freakin treble so i can eat them. :D

O
oddball
rainbowfisherman said:
the 2nd to last time i was there pond 3 had weeds everywhere. and then it got better last time i went. How is it now. Anyone catching any trout?

I've been catching plenty of trout, me and my dad go there often since its close by and have done good so far. Mostly getting trout around 9-12 inches and a few 14-15 inch ones and my dad pulled in a 17inch trout a couple weeks back. My understanding is that ponds 3 and 6 do get stocked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OnTheFly
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Summer job?

Summer job?

oddball said:
I've been catching plenty of trout, me and my dad go there often since its close by and have done good so far. Mostly getting trout around 9-12 inches and a few 14-15 inch ones and my dad pulled in a 17inch trout a couple weeks back. My understanding is that ponds 3 and 6 do get stocked.

oddball;
Welcome to a great fishing forum. I haven't been to the ponds this year. Don't they still have a caretaker? Sounds like they need to get a more energetic one in there. When I was there the guy was picking up the trash and it was fairly clean. Maybe they are hiring new caretakers? That would be a fun summer job...after the cleaning up was done. I might have to wander around the ponds again,soon.
Be safe.
Barb

B
bassman503
Raincatcher said:
oddball;
Welcome to a great fishing forum. I haven't been to the ponds this year. Don't they still have a caretaker? Sounds like they need to get a more energetic one in there. When I was there the guy was picking up the trash and it was fairly clean. Maybe they are hiring new caretakers? That would be a fun summer job...after the cleaning up was done. I might have to wander around the ponds again,soon.
Be safe.
Barb

I went there twice this year. Never targeted the trout but bass only. That place is scary. Because of ppl shooting shotguns preparing for hunting season and the fact that there are SNAKES EVERYWHERE!!!

A
Anyfishisfine
The first time I was there was a guy at the gate that I assumed was the care taker. There is an RV parked there and it looks lived in with SAT TV and the works. So I think he lives on-site.

B
Bass Ackwards
bassman503 said:
I went there twice this year. Never targeted the trout but bass only. That place is scary. Because of ppl shooting shotguns preparing for hunting season and the fact that there are SNAKES EVERYWHERE!!!

There are snakes everywhere. I saw like a 3 footer last year. Pretty crazy

T
the_intimidator03
any idea what species of snakes :-D its got my intrest lol

F
FishSlayer420
I am gonna say Bull Snake. Were they brown?

B
bassman503
FishSlayer420 said:
I am gonna say Bull Snake. Were they brown?

One of the long one that i saw was black with red and orange stripes. The others were brown with black dots or stripes.

B
Bass Ackwards
When I was a kid I used to call em red racers. I think they are a type of gardner snake. I think thats how you spell it.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oh,Jeanna......

Oh,Jeanna......

Quick! Someone call JeannaJigs! :D She's the new resident snake wrangler...:dance: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be safe.
Barb

A
autofisher
More than likely the snakes are gonna be either your typical garder snakes. But the one with the red stripe sounds like it would be a western ribbon snake. Now don't quote me on this but I think the western ribbon and the eastern ribbon snake are both on the endangered species list. So do yourself a favor, if you see one with two small red stripes goin down the side, DON'T KILL IT!!
Both the garder snake and the ribbon snakes are guppy eaters(it's the ribbon snake's main source of food), so you should be able to find plenty of snakes near the ponds where you can see a lot of small fish.

I personally don't like the ponds. It almost looks like whoever put them there almost regrets them. I've been there a couple of times and it has always been dirty. There's something to be said about not knowing if that tug on your line is a fish or something that would be better left in a toilet bowl