First summers Over falls!

K
Kodiak
The first summer steelhead came over Willamete Falls last week. A whole 28 fish but it's a start. If they continue it will be time to get out my bober and jig collection and start reaking havick in about 2 more weeks. :dance:

A
ArcticAmoeba
You need to move farther North! Haha, we killed a couple of these brats the other day, not gonna tell you where, but one had a noodle tag...It was a 5 year old Summer fish. The Summers are on their way, for sure. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here, gotta monkey a buncha Springers out before I can concentrate on the stinky 'ol Sewer Trout again! Ah haha.

M
Mike123
Im guessing there has been more then just 28..
But this gets me excited!
In about two weeks I can start fishing my back yard instead of driving to the damn coast everyday!!

J
JeannaJigs
I can't wait to start targeting some McKenzie River summer steel :) God there is nothing better.

C
Chedster
When do you guys start fishing the Mckenzie for summer fish? Do the bulk of the fish show up around June?

J
JeannaJigs
I fish the McKenzie May-November, generally, I'm sure there are some fish in there earlier, but..I find June to be the month it starts picking up.

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
I fish the McKenzie May-November, generally, I'm sure there are some fish in there earlier, but..I find June to be the month it starts picking up.

Hmmm... The Santiam I think is prime in April-May... Just cause the water is perfect. June is the peak of the run usually. But Im heading out in a couple weeks. Once the Summers hit the 500 mark over the dam... that gives me a chance to get a summer or a winter. There ARE winters in the South Santiam.

K
Kodiak
Mike123 said:
Hmmm... The Santiam I think is prime in April-May... Just cause the water is perfect. June is the peak of the run usually. But Im heading out in a couple weeks. Once the Summers hit the 500 mark over the dam... that gives me a chance to get a summer or a winter. There ARE winters in the South Santiam.

june.. july..august..september....There are freshies in the south fork all summer...But the bigger summers are in around april, may for sure..now if a nook would just peak its pretty little face over the falls I'll whack it before they close the season!

K
Kodiak
ArcticAmoeba said:
You need to move farther North! Haha, we killed a couple of these brats the other day, not gonna tell you where, but one had a noodle tag...It was a 5 year old Summer fish. The Summers are on their way, for sure. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here, gotta monkey a buncha Springers out before I can concentrate on the stinky 'ol Sewer Trout again! Ah haha.

I won't ask where if you are driving!..promise...I'll just shutup and fish when we get there.:lol:

M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
june.. july..august..september....There are freshies in the south fork all summer...But the bigger summers are in around april, may for sure..now if a nook would just peak its pretty little face over the falls I'll whack it before they close the season!

I never catch any bright fish that late in the season...

Are they going to close the South Fork Santiam for Springers this year?
:confused:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Kodiak said:
I won't ask where if you are driving!..promise...I'll just shutup and fish when we get there.:lol:

I guess I could tell, but I don't want to see the poor older gents who troll for early bass get pushed out of their spot quite yet... We side drift through the lane they create, and never cast port. So they don't have a problem with us.

K
Kodiak
ArcticAmoeba said:
I guess I could tell, but I don't want to see the poor older gents who troll for early bass get pushed out of their spot quite yet... We side drift through the lane they create, and never cast port. So they don't have a problem with us.

You are going to have to come down here in april-may and whoop up on spme bigger steelies with us. Should be some big ol' nookers laying around too!

A
ArcticAmoeba
Oh, you know we will git down! On some fish whackin! The Santi fish do have some shoulders. I'll get a hold of you this week man.

K
Kodiak
No hurry

No hurry

I'm about to get really busy for a few. I'm gonna try not to be to busy for springers:D.