First Steelhead on a jig!

Z
ZeeBorn
Went to the Sandy today and got my first fish on a jig! I got it about 15 feet off the bank and 40-50 feet down river from me. Bobber went down, flipped the bail back over, set the hook, a bright flash and a hard tug and I knew I was into a fish! Got her in, snapped a pic and set her free. The icing on the cake was I got her on a jig that I tied my self!:dance: It looks like a pink wollybugger with long pink hackle fibers and a sparkle pink body and light pink marabou tail on a 1/8th oz pink head.
I really enjoy getting fish on home made gear!
Cheers,
Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Mike123
Awesome job! Makes you feel proud when you catch one on your own jig! Though it rarely happens I catch one on one of my jigs.. :lol:
Nice fish!(And release!) :clap:

You should post a pic of the jig!

J
JeeperGal
Awesome!! What a nice feeling of accomplishment you must have :)

Z
ZeeBorn
Thanks guys! I have been trying for a while now to get a fish on a jig. Practice pays off. I am now a jig fisherman.
Now I must make MORE JIGS!:yay:

B
bigsteel
nice fish man:clap::clap::clap:

O
OnTheDrop
hell yeah man!

T
Thuggin4Life
Good job man!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Sweet!!

T
thepreditor
havent caught a fish on one of my own jigs yet....
I think its the confidence level i have with them and tend to use store bought a lot..
Nice fish

C
Cracker
Nice fish!!!! On your own hardware too!!!

A
autofisher
Way to go man! Nothin like catching a fish on your own gear. Keep it up and keep the pics comin.

F
FishFinger
Nice native, congrats!

C
Chrome_Chaser
Awesome! That is a good looking fish. Still trying to catch my first steelie with a jig. Not gonna give up.

J
Johnny Southpaw
Nice job! Gotta love some jig action...:dance::dance::dance:

T
Teo
ZeeBorn said:
Thanks guys! I have been trying for a while now to get a fish on a jig. Practice pays off. I am now a jig fisherman.
Now I must make MORE JIGS!:yay:

Got any pics of those jigs? Be nice to see. Nice fish.

Z
ZeeBorn
Thanks for the congradulations guys. It sure helped me having a great resourse like OFF. Thanks!
Teo said:
Got any pics of those jigs? Be nice to see. Nice fish.

Unfortunately I lost the jig I was using later in the morning. It was one of those snags on a stick that you can see but can't get to. I just had to break it off and watch my jig flutter on the end of the stick a few inches under the surface. (tear)
I'll make some more when I get more jig heads and I'll post a pic then.

Z
ZeeBorn
OK I finally got to Fisherman’s and got some more bare jigs to tie with. This is the pattern I got my fish on. It's basically a long hackle wollybugger adapted to a jig. I think they kind of look like a prawn, who knows what it looks like to the fish? I tie them on Aerojigs and if you have ever seen my truck you would know why... (big Gamakatsu sticker in the back window)
If anyone wants some of these jigs tied up for them send me a pm and we can work something out.

Cheers,
Nate

M
Mike123
That's a very good looking jig!
Can you tie them with a white head, red hackle, black body and black tail w/crystal flash? If so I will buy some from you. :)

J
JeannaJigs
There is no feeling like that of getting a fish on your own jigs. It becomes an addictive obsession...you're hooked for life lol.

Z
ZeeBorn
Well I went back out to the Sandy this morning for a few hours and I got my second steelhead on a jig! Got it on the jig in the pic above. It was another high finer but I managed to get a pic and send her on her way. Next one is going to be clipped :pray:

Mike123 said:
That's a very good looking jig!
Can you tie them with a white head, red hackle, black body and black tail w/crystal flash? If so I will buy some from you. :)

Yes I can do that. Provided I can get some white jigs. Shouldn't be a problem though. I'll PM you and we can work out the details.