First steel on the fly!

F

fourgotten

Had a good morning! First steelhead that I've ever hit up on the fly rod. I'm gonna have to get myself a more appropriate fly rod now.

We'd arrived later than expected but I knew there would be fish in this particular spot and everyone else was fishing downriver a bit, so I walked right to it.

Sure enough, there were two fish in there. My fishin partner pulled one out and I went after the other. Didn't get her for a while, but when I found her, I initially thought that she was a rock 'cause my indicator went down and popped right back up.

The next drift was just a hair closer to the bank and the indicator dropped like the rock that I thought I was hooked on.

I gave it a hard pull ('cause you never know, right?) and the THUMP!THUMP!THUMP!THUMP!THUMP! on the other end of that line told me that was NO rock. :shock: This was confirmed by the way that it took off cross current and then headed downstream and then leapt a few times, including one BEAUTIFUL somersault in the air. :clap:

After that little run downstream, she turned and charged at me like a bullet... I was losing line tension and about ready to fall over backwards in a desperate attempt to keep that hook in her when she stopped and just held water 8 feet or so in front of me.

WOW.

I was shaking and twitching after we got her in the net. Almost had a hard time getting the hook out 'cause of the adrenaline rush.

Best fish fight EVAR! I'm hooked.

To make it even better, it was on a fly that I tied myself. Oh yeah!

:cool:

000a13ch.jpg

(sorry for the crappy picture quality... cell phone's all that I had and the quality of the video from which I took this still wasn't that awesome)

O

OnTheFly

I'll bet if you didn't catch a single fish for the rest of the year you'd still think the cost of the licence was worth it after that catch! WAY TO GO!!!!!!! It truely doesn't get ANY better that THAT!!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
C

Cohosanders

Had a good morning! First steelhead that I've ever hit up on the fly rod. I'm gonna have to get myself a more appropriate fly rod now.

We'd arrived later than expected but I knew there would be fish in this particular spot and everyone else was fishing downriver a bit, so I walked right to it.

Sure enough, there were two fish in there. My fishin partner pulled one out and I went after the other. Didn't get her for a while, but when I found her, I initially thought that she was a rock 'cause my indicator went down and popped right back up.

The next drift was just a hair closer to the bank and the indicator dropped like the rock that I thought I was hooked on.

I gave it a hard pull ('cause you never know, right?) and the THUMP!THUMP!THUMP!THUMP!THUMP! on the other end of that line told me that was NO rock. :shock: This was confirmed by the way that it took off cross current and then headed downstream and then leapt a few times, including one BEAUTIFUL somersault in the air. :clap:

After that little run downstream, she turned and charged at me like a bullet... I was losing line tension and about ready to fall over backwards in a desperate attempt to keep that hook in her when she stopped and just held water 8 feet or so in front of me.

WOW.

I was shaking and twitching after we got her in the net. Almost had a hard time getting the hook out 'cause of the adrenaline rush.

Best fish fight EVAR! I'm hooked.

To make it even better, it was on a fly that I tied myself. Oh yeah!

:cool:

000a13ch.jpg

(sorry for the crappy picture quality... cell phone's all that I had and the quality of the video from which I took this still wasn't that awesome)

That is just awesome......:clap:GREAT STORY:dance:....I have been swingin my fly rod lately on the inspiration from others with no takers YET. My jig tying has proved deadly so I am right behind you. I love steelhead fishing straight up!!! I don't care who knows:lol: My first season ever steelheading apparently is chromoliscious. Bring it on:D

T

Thuggin4Life

Way to go man nice looking fish. Your probably gonna be hooked on fly fishing now.

F

FISHHEADMAFIA

AWSOME ! ! ! EPIC ! ! ! no kidding . really . that rocks . Now go out and buy a BEULAH spey rod . When you do , I will be required to inspect it , on the river , at a productive hole/run for at least 7 hours ..................never mind .