First springer caught!!!

K
Kodiak
Was getting whats left of my hair cut a couple of days ago, and a viscous rumor and picture of a large springer caught in the santiam main stem. The timing would have been right for the first couple that headed over the falls to the undisclosed location, so it is a very real possibility. The fish was clearly clipped and a pig. Unofficial scale weight was said to be 32 lbs. Could it be time to rock and roll already? I am most certainly down for slaping down springers...GAME ON!

H
Halfthrive
As of Mon there was 7 that passed the falls. Dude coulda hooked one of em. I'm starting next Mon on the Umpqua myself.

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey how do you fish for springers on the qua? I been thinking about heading down there.

H
Halfthrive
Thuggin4Life said:
Hey how do you fish for springers on the qua? I been thinking about heading down there.

This time of year the name of the game is plunkin and running wrapped qwikfish. If the moss is down you can backbounce too. You don't need to worry about your prop until the level gets to 6' or less.

S
SALTYFISH
Kodiak,

Kodiak,

I am new to the area recently moved to Stayton, my grandparents have lived on the N santiam for 30 years .i have been doing a lot of reading on this fourm and it seems like u are the guru.I am a avid fisherman and have much respect for nature . Also i have bank access kinda up stream from the diversion dam don't know if its a good area but it looks really fishy. Any advice would bee great!!

K
Kodiak
SALTYFISH said:
I am new to the area recently moved to Stayton, my grandparents have lived on the N santiam for 30 years .i have been doing a lot of reading on this fourm and it seems like u are the guru.I am a avid fisherman and have much respect for nature . Also i have bank access kinda up stream from the diversion dam don't know if its a good area but it looks really fishy. Any advice would bee great!!

The area where the last riffle dumps into the deep water above the divesion dam can be money with bobber and eggs. There are some really nice slots in that area. Oh and Welcome to OFF!

S
SALTYFISH
Kodiak,
Were is a good place to buy eggs ive seen some but they really dont look good, dont really know what im looking for though. do u know were the cut off is, my grandparents property goes righ up to the dam and there is a huge hole rite under the dam.I looked on the ODFW web site and can't find any thing about it.

M
Mike123
I think Scott Amerman lives near Stayton.. give him a call or something. Don't do Guides Choice eggs whatever you do.. lol.

B
bigsteel
amerman lives in monmouth

S
SALTYFISH
What can amerman do for me??

T
Thuggin4Life
Halfthrive said:
This time of year the name of the game is plunkin and running wrapped qwikfish. If the moss is down you can backbounce too. You don't need to worry about your prop until the level gets to 6' or less.

Hey thanks i heard the springer plunking is good and i know some spots down by bunchbar. How about trolling near reedsport?

B
bigsteel
SALTYFISH said:
What can amerman do for me??

scott amerman cures eggs,,,thats a good place to buy EGGS

S
SALTYFISH
AHH scott amerman it is, thanks for clearing that up bigstell!!

K
Kodiak
SALTYFISH said:
AHH scott amerman it is, thanks for clearing that up bigstell!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything but that! Relax, you have plenty of time for good eggs. Try extreame north west...even better PM Osmosis and ask him how much for his mystical prawns, and if he has some good hot eggs.....thats your best hope.

S
SALTYFISH
Kodiak said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything but that! Relax, you have plenty of time for good eggs. Try extreame north west...even better PM Osmosis and ask him how much for his mystical prawns, and if he has some good hot eggs.....thats your best hope.

So mike123 was missleading with that advice, alson eggs work for steelhead and salmon yes . if u are using a slip bobber and eggs what would be the difference in the setup eccept for line maybe

S
SantiamDrifter
Scott Amerman fishes with BAIT!!! not plugs or other hardware. Scott knows his eggs. Look for his egg's or egg cures. Thier top notch for sure.

K
Kodiak
SantiamDrifter said:
Scott Amerman fishes with BAIT!!! not plugs or other hardware. Scott knows his eggs. Look for his egg's or egg cures. Thier top notch for sure.

Scott does have a decent egg cure for sure, but for the water we are talking about there is better. I know Scott is an egg guy, but he also knows when it's time to pull some TCO's. For the time frame we are talking Osmosis's prawns will flat spank any juevo you can conjure....I've been on the recieving end of that beating and it ain't pretty. Later when the fish get here and the water warms a bit, then go to eggs. until then stick with prawns, those big early springers dig 'em.

S
SantiamDrifter
Kodiak said:
Scott does have a decent egg cure for sure, but for the water we are talking about there is better. I know Scott is an egg guy, but he also knows when it's time to pull some TCO's. For the time frame we are talking Osmosis's prawns will flat spank any juevo you can conjure....I've been on the recieving end of that beating and it ain't pretty. Later when the fish get here and the water warms a bit, then go to eggs. until then stick with prawns, those big early springers dig 'em.

Oh i love fishing with prawns. I was just anwsering his questions about eggs, and about who scott was. Although his cure is focused on tide water and coastal streams, and not upland river fishing. His cure is 1 of the 5 I bring in the boat. My 2 favorite cures are pro cures last supper for upland river, and x2 red with uv. They make a beauitful egg that milks wonderfully, and last for repeated casting.

S
SALTYFISH
Different cures for different waters!!!! Just keeps getting crazier and crazier. This is hurting my brain ..sorry if i stirred any thing up just trying to learn!!!

K
Kodiak
SALTYFISH said:
Different cures for different waters!!!! Just keeps getting crazier and crazier. This is hurting my brain ..sorry if i stirred any thing up just trying to learn!!!

Gotta shake things up now and again. North fork winter steelies perfer a hotter egg than on the alsea where I have a better luck with nitrate eggs. Coho like a different egg altogether..and chinook...they like................well you get the point. There are subtle differences in things that can mean the diffrence between a three fish limit and going home empty handed...like I said, get a mentor. My mentor is playing with some new toys I'm almost ready to release.

Just an update....The second santiam nook came out yesterday. I wish I could say it was mine, but came to a friend of mine with a 21ft sled. The stroy was an epic battle of man against HOG! 12lb test side drifting PRAWNS for winters when KABOOM! a monster hit, weighing in at 41 lbs....the north fork wreckin crew is OFF to what may be a verry memerable start.