First/second/third Lake "Albany"

R
ryan808
Anyone fish any of these lake over in Albany, I drove by today and First lake looked like bass heaven. Is there any access to Second Lake?

T
Thuggin4Life
I thought the y all flowed into each other. We are talking about the "freeway ponds" right? i worked with a guy who fished them for bass all day the nswithed trying to get some trout and nailed a fat bass. Then the plant closed and haven't talked to him in like 1.5 years but he lives up by them and I know he was talking about fishing them so I am sure they are good. Also I remember forum members talking about them in the past. Get in them and fish you won't be dissapointed.

troutdude
troutdude
My best guess is that you are speaking of "Freeway Lakes". The largest one is on the west side of I-5, and the other two lakes are on the east side. They are all just a bit NE of the I-5 and Hwy. 34 interchange. And, one of the two "eastern side" lakes is on the west side of Freeway Lakes Rd. (see pic). And, all 3 lakes are interconnected with channels.

The best spot for trout, is on the NE corner of the outlet (by the Freeway Lakes Rd. bridge). Stillfishing w/ power bait, worms, eggs is good. And a few trout are caught on the other side of the bridge on the SW point. The rest of the trout are all in the far west lake, where the boat ramp is and where Oak Creek flows into it. It is the coolest lake. You will NOT find any trout in the other two lakes...only bass, crappie, bluegill and maybe cats.

Pic: Map of Albany, Oregon by MapQuest

B
Bass Ackwards
ryan808 said:
Anyone fish any of these lake over in Albany, I drove by today and First lake looked like bass heaven. Is there any access to Second Lake?

Your talkin simpson park I think. I fished it last summer and seen a couple bass. But caught nothing. There was a couple other guys on here last summer who caught a few in boats. Right across the street there is a pond in the field that I caught a 3-4lber out of.

B
BlackBass
The western most lake is the best for Bass fishing. It has some serious hawgs in there. I personaly caught a 8lb largemouth out of it. I have seen a few buddys catch 6-7lb bass, and know of some others who have caught there largest bass in this lake as well. It fishes realy well in the spring and can be very good in the summer at night ! I dont fish the other two lakes because i havent ever done any good in them :)

C
Combat Chuck
He is talking about the ponds next to the Willamette where Simpson Park is located, not Freeway Lakes. There is very little access to it and it chokes out with weeds very early. There are nice bass in there... although they may be radioactive!

Last edited by a moderator:
R
ryan808
Im talking about the lakes at Simpson Park. Bass Ackwards I tried out that little lake on the other side of the park, but the water seemed too low. And yes the pond look like they'll choke out from weeds, but looks like gtood bass habitat. Im more interested in Second lake and how one would go about launching a toon in there. The other thing about that park is the parking, looks like an invite to break in your. Besides Freeway and 1/2/3rd lake, is there any other decent spots with access in the Albany area?

C
Combat Chuck
I am always terrified about parking there! I put my toon in there a few times last year and pulled a couple bass out. There is a channel that connects first and second lake. When the Calipooia opens you can find smallies at Bryant and Montieth park.

B
BlackBass
So were talking about The first lake that dumps into Waverly lake and Simpson's right? Simpson's is one of the best spots to fish for big large mouth. It only fishes well through April because of the weeds. Look for these fish to be tucked way up into the bushes. Flipping jigs or senkos in the bushes is a great way to catch these fish. Open water spinner baits can also catch a lot of fish here. Best fished with alittle wind on the water. The channel that runs from Waverly to the Willamette doesn't hold fish. The only spot you can catch bass in there is right where it spills out of Waverly lake. Waverly lake fishes good for bass in the southeast corner where the channel connects it to the western most lake. The first lake is terrible for bass , its over ran with lots and lots of carp. Your best bet would be Simpsons or Waverly :) When living in Albany i would fish The mill pond in lebanon and do realy well early in the season.

B
Bass Ackwards
I heard the swan lakes were pretty good and I would definitely try waverly when it gets a lil warmer.

troutdude
troutdude
Waverly was stocked w/ trout last Thursday morning...if any of you bass guys would like to go try for 'em.

T
Thuggin4Life
So what about the "freeway" ponds. Aren't there three f them that interconnect that are also good bass fishing grounds. Someday i will get up ther and fish them but a 45 minute drive to a to go bass fishing isn't in my neer future.

C
CORNBREAD
your thinking of free way lakes, and yea there is a channel you got to follow to get from 1st lake to 2nd but 2nd to third lake under the inerstate is easy to get through, good bass/crappie/trout/catfish carp bluegill in those lakes JUST DONT GO SWIMMING swear oscar the dumpster muppet lives in there, in other words its nasty water

troutdude
troutdude
Poison oak everywhere too...beware!!!

B
Basstard
Worth fishing

Worth fishing

I have not caught anything under 3 lbs. at the second lake. The Big fish this year was 8lbs. If you dont know where the fish are it can be frustrating. Use caution there are a lot of snags and floaters out there. I swamped me canoe there and had to pull my submerged boat halfway through the first pond. The water is ugly and smells bad but it was still worth it. I'll catch 5 to 10 in a three hour trip Averaging 5lbs.
By the way dont bother fishing the first pord.

J
Jdangler xD
I've been thinking about fishing here too. Weather is getting warmer but this is good to know. Sounds like a nightmare. I'll catch bass or carp haha

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
I am gonna launch my pontoon boat out there tomorrow. Anyone interested in joining me?

J
jadleybray
I'm interested to hear if the bass are biting, later this week the water may warm up a bit with the sun out finally!

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
The bite was a little tough today. I got six bites and landed 5 fish. I did get a big one though. It was 8.05 on my stren digital scale. I'll post a pic as soon as I can figure out how to on this forum.

J
Jdangler xD
Fishwhisperer44 said:
The bite was a little tough today. I got six bites and landed 5 fish. I did get a big one though. It was 8.05 on my stren digital scale. I'll post a pic as soon as I can figure out how to on this forum.
Nice. Fished Sunday. Got two sturgeon missed 4. I would be interested in fishing there. What did you catch and on what ?

• image.jpg