First salmon on the fly

F
Fred
Was fishing for trout with a black wooly bugger caught this guy instead. Crazy how far this fish traveled to get to this creek. It took me nearly 5 minutes to land on my 6 weight. My buddy caught a cutthroat and I missed another fish around 14-16 inches. Also my first December salmon ever. There was a good amount of snow too the forest looks different covered in snow beautiful, but cold 🥶.

• AA98DF0C-5957-4DB6-9415-86E2C4F45855.jpeg
  • 1D1B7938-7859-4338-B8B6-F77B1F381F7E.jpeg
Reactions: Echskech, DOKF, O. mykiss and 2 others
P
pcstock
Congrats!!!!

troutdude
troutdude
With a 6 weight rod and only 5 minutes to bring it in? Either that fish was already pooped out and ready to spawn...or you've got the skills of a Jedi!

Reactions: Fred
F
Fred
troutdude said:
With a 6 weight rod and only 5 minutes to bring it in? Either that fish was already pooped out and ready to spawn...or you've got the skills of a Jedi!
Me and my friend were talking about how much longer it would have fought fresh from the salt. It’s crazy how strong salmon are. I think it was spawned out too it’s stomach looked saggy.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Fred said:
Me and my friend were talking about how much longer it would have fought fresh from the salt. It’s crazy how strong salmon are. I think it was spawned out too it’s stomach looked saggy.
It woulda been EPIC if it had been fresh from the salt; on a 6 weight rig! Still a heckuva of a reward while angling for their little brothers.

Echskech
Echskech
Nice job bud!

jamisonace
jamisonace
The colors in the first picture look like a chum but overall I'm thinking coho. Do you know what kind of salmon it was?

F
Fred
jamisonace said:
The colors in the first picture look like a chum but overall I'm thinking coho. Do you know what kind of salmon it was?
It was a coho

Reactions: troutdude