First post

SiletzTroutKiller

Well since nobody has posted about the Chewaucan yet I guess I'll go first. I fished it this last summer on a camping trip with a couple buddies of mine and I had a blast! We caught a ton of Redbands and a few small Brookies in there as well. The biggest I caught was about 14" and one of my buddies caught a 13" redside, but none bigger although we did find a nice fat one dead on the bank that must have been somewhere in the 16-19" range. The Chewaucan is a fun place to fish if you're looking to make a camping trip out of it and it looks prime for fly fishing. I caught most my fish on a Black/Yellow Panther Martin.

Raincatcher

Well, thank you for the report. :thumb: I have to admit, I've never heard of the river, much less fished it. Sounds like one for the bucket list.

SiletzTroutKiller

I also forgot to mention that Campbell Lake is near there too and it gets stocked in the summertime. We caught so many planters out of there it was insane, like 30 each a day

troutdude

I also forgot to mention that Campbell Lake is near there too and it gets stocked in the summertime. We caught so many planters out of there it was insane, like 30 each a day
I'd bet that there will also be, and insane amount of larger hold-overs next spring! (Unless there is a winter kill).

SiletzTroutKiller

I strongly recommend this area for fishermen off all types. It's pretty far from civilization but that means low fishing pressure and you get a lot of the river to yourself which is nice. Only down side it finding places that are either public land or visitor friendly private land

troutdude

There is a good write up, about this river, in the new edition of "Fishing in Oregon".

Wild redbands spawn in the Chewaucan Marsh; and swim upstream from late winter into early spring. In the past, there were lots of those fish that hit 30". Now, they're more scarce with a few reports up to 27". But most are 10" - 12", with a fair smattering of 18 inchers.

There is also a write up in, "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon".

C_Run

Cool report. I have long thought that a good "theme" fishing trip would be to fish all the obscure locations on the forum that have zero reports and then write the only report. I think east of the mountains would be where I would head.

C

SiletzTroutKiller

Yeah C_Run I'm sure there's tons of small rivers and creeks full of trout that are over east you could try. I'm sure some of those creeks probably hold some big trout

Top Bottom