First post in a long time!

I haven't been able to post in the longest time since last spring, so here's what I've been up to since then in case anyone is interested. It's probably not a big deal to most, but I've done a lot of fishing in the last several months. Now that I'm getting less busy I'm going to hopefully start posting more up-to-date reports. Photos should all be attached in chronological order.

So first of all, for most of the summer I was in Kodiak, AK working at Kodiak Legends Lodge in the Larsen Bay area. Even though I was a first year greenhorn and a lot of my job predictably consisted of the dirty work, I still had lots of opportunities to be out on the water helping customers get into big fish! The main focus there was Halibut, but there was also great fishing for King Salmon, Silver Salmon, and Yelloweye Rockfish (among others).

I also spent lots of the time I wasn't working fishing off of the numerous beaches by the lodge. There was a crazy variety of bottom fish, and when the Pinks started moving in it was an absolute blast to target them from the shore on light spinning tackle. One of the most underrated species of fish IMO; great jumpers and fighters when caught on appropriate tackle. The Pinks last summer were also uncharacteristically large, some of them weighing more than five pounds.

As soon as I got back in time for school in late August, I was able to get a few Pacific City kayak fishing trips. On one of them I caught my biggest Cabezon ever!

(Keep in mind in the picture of me filleting the fish I'm doing the limits of everyone who went fishing with me that day, not just my own fish. I kept a legal number of rockfish and so did everyone else)

I was also able to sneak over to the John Day River in Central Oregon to do a little smallmouth bass fishing using both conventional and fly tackle. No big ones, but even the small school-sized bass fight incredibly hard for their size.

Shortly after I went to get my high school senior photos taken. The photographer was a friend of mine who wanted to go fishing right afterwards so we decided to shoot the photos on the banks of the Gilbert River. Afterwards we headed to the Big Eddy area and started fishing from the banks with worms. Since it was still late summer we were expecting to catch catfish, carp, or maybe bass, but I forgot that worms are also a favorite food of sturgeon!

I also got a little bit of high mountain trout fly fishing done with friends in the Mt. Hood Area, which is a lot of fun.

Over the course of the fall and winter I started doing surf fishing guided trips, as this is a type of fishing that I've always been familiar with and it seemed like a pretty good way to make a few extra bucks. It's pretty low key, as I don't have the time to run a full-time business and I'm not exactly sure about any legal requirements to be a legitimate "guide." Most of the people I've taken have been people who I either knew or I met through other people I knew. The winter is a great time to target surfperch as there are comparatively few other species available and some of the winter fish grow to surprisingly large sizes! I don't know much about migration or lack thereof with surfperch, but I do notice differences with size/number of fish in accordance with the seasons. I'd like to even try tagging the larger fish and seeing whether or not they move.

I've also gone to the Nisqually Delta in Puget Sound in a couple times. It's a great spot for flounder and sole and is really underutilized. Most of the other sportsmen I see there are either duck hunting or targeting the elusive Puget Sound winter salmon and many have not even really heard about the great flounder fishing. The spot also has the advantage of being typically really calm in comparison to the ocean during this time of year. Unfortunately, my early trips there with mirror-flat water fooled me into thinking that the Puget Sound was a veritable lake. My last encounter reminded me that this is not always the case! After being tossed around by 2-4 foot swells, howling wind, and rushing currents for hours and catching nothing, I'm definitely going to check the weather forecast beforehand next time!

That's pretty been most of the types of fishing I've done the past several months. Comments or opinions would be appreciated! Now I just have to catch a winter steelhead (if these water levels ever drop!) :lol:

Attachments

Top Bottom