First nook of the year, almost

M
metalmania
Well I had a few hours to kill after work so I decided to head down to the clack and try to pick up a steelie or two. My hopes were high and I was pretty confident I was leaving the river with some bloody chromers. An hour and a half in and i've got nothing to show for it, but I decided to give a few more half-hearted casts before moving to greener waters. On what I decided was my last cast my pole gets absolutely rocked, and the fight is on:D. For the first 2 minutes this fish hardly moved from it's spot. Every small pull I gave was met by several violent headshakes, then it would stop completely. This thing wasn't hardly even taking line, just plastering itself to the bottom. After a few minutes of him sitting on the bottom he began to slowly move up river, then stopped again. Then suddenly without warning this thing goes ballistic and launches himself out of the water and the real fight began. For the next couple minutes I inched him in slowly to the bank, til I finally got a glimpse of the beast. Right as I got him to within about 20 feet, I feel a couple of strang headshakes and total slack:mad:. Somehow he got the *%$#^#@ hook out and swam free. At that point I pretty much lost my mind. Poles were thrown, and many real, as well as made up curse words were said for the next few minutes. After a smoke break, and a mental self evaluation I re-tied on my spinner and wen't back to fishing. A few minutes in and bang, a real nice rock fish stole my favorite spinner, unfourtunatly i forgot to loosen my drag after breaking off. After a quick re-tie I hooked into a nice little summer, sadly a quick run and jump ripped the hook free. After all this, with my sanity in shambles, I ran home with my tail between my legs, to lick my wounds. But bealive me, I will have my vengeance soon.

S
skyflys
Sounds like my weekend:mad::mad: Long story short two fish on!!! Two fish OFF!!!!!!!!!:mad:

M
mgdguy
metal, I think a lot of us can relate to a story like this. Apply what you've learned and keep the pressure on 'em! :cool:

J
JeannaJigs
I feel ya! Three on, three off yesterday. Don't think they were 'nooks, but they were some hard hitting steelhead..and they all got away :(

N
ninja2010
dang, that's so epic, metal...

sorry you lost the fisheees. you'll get your revenge - for sure.

Y
yellowjacket
Share the Where?

Share the Where?

JeannaJigs said:
I feel ya! Three on, three off yesterday. Don't think they were 'nooks, but they were some hard hitting steelhead..and they all got away :(

I was in the Bristow area yesterday afternoon, none of the boats that went by I spoke to had any action. I didn't get any hits tossing spoons & spinners, not even a pellet head. Put my hand in to get some helgies to try for some trout & the water was pretty cold. Care to say where you got Action. Know you were jiggin' :D

M
metalmania
ninja2010 said:
dang, that's so epic, metal...

sorry you lost the fisheees. you'll get your revenge - for sure.

Ninja will both be gettin our vengeance soon:D. I think i'll head out tommorow evening and try to slay a few.

N
ninja2010
metalmania said:
I think i'll head out tommorow evening and try to slay a few.

luckeeeeee... i gotta work :(

M
metalmania
Don't worry we'll get out there soon:D.

J
JeannaJigs
yellowjacket said:
I was in the Bristow area yesterday afternoon, none of the boats that went by I spoke to had any action. I didn't get any hits tossing spoons & spinners, not even a pellet head. Put my hand in to get some helgies to try for some trout & the water was pretty cold. Care to say where you got Action. Know you were jiggin' :D

Usin' my own jigs through Eugene on el bike path....I don't recommend it though! (There's a post called semi-success on the willamette, allllll about it lol)

K
Kodiak
I know your pain

I know your pain

Snagle fraggin flibin, floppin.....Been there done that. I slid my second this year sweetly into the net this morning. You should haul kiester down here tonight...the last two hours of light have been a sight to behold..and a 3 fish limit don't hurt niether. 3 adults..TWO of which may be springers. Better days are a comming, hang in there.

M
metalmania
Allright so this evening I decided to go out and get a little revenge for yesterdays losses. My fifth cast and bam fish on, and a nook to boot. This fish was even more pi**ed then the last nook. For the first fifteen minutes he couldn't decide if upriver or downriver was a better choice. Then the line goes slack, so I reel like a madman and what do ya know, he's still on:D. After that he ran into the headwater and sat, for ten da** minutes. Nothing I did would make him bug an inch. I eventually got so bored I took a knee and had a smoke while I waited for him to make a move. I decided that he wasn't gonna move without some serious force, so I tightened down the drag a bit and started to muscle him in, needless to say he didn't like that much. So as i'm doin my level best to pull this fish from the headwater, he darts downstream and wraps the line over a submerged rock, and ''tink'' there goes the line. So not only did I lose a fish after over a half hour of fighting, but I also lost my new favorite spinner, as well as my pride:(.

Fish-3, me-0. Mark my words chromers, I shall have my revenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JeannaJigs
metalmania said:
Allright so this evening I decided to go out and get a little revenge for yesterdays losses. My fifth cast and bam fish on, and a nook to boot. This fish was even more pissed then the last nook. For the first fifteen minutes he couldn't decide if upriver or downriver was a better choice. Then the line goes slack, so I reel like a madman and what do ya know, he's still on:D. After that he ran into the headwater and sat, for ten damn minutes. Nothing I did would make him bug an inch. I eventually got so bored I took a knee and had a smoke while I waited for him to make a move. I decided that he wasn't gonna move without some serious force, so I tightened down the drag a bit and started to muscle him in, needless to say he didn't like that much. So as i'm doin my level best to pull this fish from the headwater, he darts downstream and wraps the line over a submerged rock, and ''tink'' there goes the line. So not only did I lose a fish after over a half hour of fighting, but I also lost my new favorite spinner, as well as my pride:(.

Fish-3, me-0. Mark my words chromers, I shall have my revenge.
Lol your luck is about as good as mine. Since March, I've lost 4 winter steelhead, 1 confirmed beast of a hen spring 'nook, 1 that may have been a 'nook or a very large steelhead, and then 3 summer steelhead. So your score is looking better than mine, I'm getting pretty irritated lol. Nothin' is more infuriating than playing out a fish for that long and losing it. At least with most of mine, they didn't fight too long, few hard head shakes and they spit my offering, except that damn 'nook, she was right to the bank, but it was a steep ledge and I didn't have a net...lost her :( So the next one that gets that close to the bank...I don't care what it takes, that damn fish is going to be going home in my cooler (Unless it's a nate, and then I will cry for at least a week)

M
metalmania
Kodiak said:
Snagle fraggin flibin, floppin.....Been there done that. I slid my second this year sweetly into the net this morning. You should haul kiester down here tonight...the last two hours of light have been a sight to behold..and a 3 fish limit don't hurt niether. 3 adults..TWO of which may be springers. Better days are a comming, hang in there.

Dang 3 fish a day, I could get used to a place like that. If you ever want to hit the river let me know, and i'll haul butt down there. Or, if you wan't a change of scenery, the clack is really startin to pump em out. Now if i could only get them to the bank:(.

K
Kodiak
Wait till I teach you guys how to jig a herring for chinook..LMAO...had a noob tonight on the river...was actually a local member of the forum until unsavory circumstances killed his comp. never landed a nook tonight he had afish WELL OVER 30 show him what men are made of...LOL..I warned him too..big fish eat these things..there are some big fish in right now..thought I was joshin until his 10th or so cast and the reel version of Highway to Hell began to play. Just for spite the beast came out of the water, sized him up and proceded to whoop his arse...noobs and big fish..LOL..he is now hopelesly addicted to cooners, herring and TCO spinners.:lol::clap::lol::clap:

J
JeannaJigs
herring huh. I've never had success with the stuff except in tidewater. Wonder if that stuff would work on the mac? perhaps...

K
Kodiak
JeannaJigs said:
herring huh. I've never had success with the stuff except in tidewater. Wonder if that stuff would work on the mac? perhaps...

A herring bite should be turning on soon. I'll have for dyas OFF soon, I might be able to sneek down and locate some holes with active springers and watch what happens. PM me and I'll come down and show you how to do it. Up here whenthe Herring bite turns on it can be hooking up 5-7 fish in a couple of hours. They are usually some of the biggest most agressive fish in the hole and arent afraid to try and haul you in the river.

M
metalmania
Kodiak said:
Wait till I teach you guys how to jig a herring for chinook..LMAO...had a noob tonight on the river...was actually a local member of the forum until unsavory circumstances killed his comp. never landed a nook tonight he had afish WELL OVER 30 show him what men are made of...LOL..I warned him too..big fish eat these things..there are some big fish in right now..thought I was joshin until his 10th or so cast and the reel version of Highway to Hell began to play. Just for spite the beast came out of the water, sized him up and proceded to whoop his arse...noobs and big fish..LOL..he is now hopelesly addicted to cooners, herring and TCO spinners.:lol::clap::lol::clap:

30lbs of angry chrome, my arms are burning just thinking of it:lol:. These clack fish are whoopin my behind, now i'm scared to come down and fight your monsters:lol:.

K
Kodiak
metalmania said:
30lbs of angry chrome, my arms are burning just thinking of it:lol:. These clack fish are whoopin my behind, now i'm scared to come down and fight your monsters:lol:.

our standard ruber stamped nook is around 15lbs., 20lbs are not uncommon with a few in the 25-28 pound range. You will see a fish 5 or 6 in the 30# class caught every year and about every 2 to 3 years a few guys will ding a 40 pound springer. The 30's and 40's are rare but they have happened and usually around mid to late june when it does....(minical grin) Here fishy, fishy!:pray:

Y
youngbuck307
LMAO my grandma would sit there with her rod here fishy fishy fishy over and over agen till she got a bite... would drive you crazy some times lol!!! But Sam we need to get one to the bank!