First Native, River, Rainbow trout of 09'

A

adambomb

I wasn't even sure that there were any native rainbows left in the lower molalla. I guess there is!! And there are plenty of feisty cutthroat to be had as well. I landed this nice cutt on saturday near knights bridge, and this handsome rainbow today just above goods bridge. Many of you will notice that they both ate the same rooster tail. Just a coincidence I'm sure, cuz i was getting good strikes on other styles and colors of spinners. Can't hardly wait till next weekend, i should have my new TCO spinners by then:dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

beaverfan

Ya it's got nice color but 99% sure the second one is a bow. Look at the mouth. A rainbows mouth seldom goes back further than the front of the eye. Cutthroats mouths are larger and go back further. At least that's how I was taught to tell the difference.

Last edited:
M

mgdguy

Could that second one be some kind of hybrid? It's colored like a bow but spotted like a cutty....?

T

the_intimidator03

well i have seen some bows kind mildly spotted and others so vivid my jaw drops... some strains seem to be a bit more vibrant than others... both are nice fish regardless

O

osmosis

Nice fish, I love fishing the Mo.

The mouth is a good way to tell gender, but not species really. smaller mouth generally equals female and if the corner of the mouth is behind the eye its usually a male.
The second one is a bow in my opinion, we usually call those spotted one's "leopards".

to be honest looking at the dorsal on that second one it looks like its a "hatchery tank abused" fish, and many hatchery trout are not fin clipped (as in every OFC fish is planted but has an adipose for example).
By "abused" I mean: The fish pick on each other while in the tanks where there are so many fish in an enclosed place, and the fins very often look like that as a result.

Last edited:
B

beaverfan

As far as the possibility of a hybrid, it is entirely possible. Here is a short excerpt from Wikipedia on Cutthroat trout.

"Cutthroat will readily interbreed with the closely related rainbow trout, producing fertile hybrids commonly called "cutbow". Cutthroat will also hybridize with the O. gilae subspecies, the Gila trout and Apache trout."

O

osmosis

usually cutbows have the "slashes" on their chins I'm pretty sure, although thinking about it, there would be phenotype's all over the place in F1 generations.

T

TTFishon

I'm wondering why you guys are helping him identify the fish when he clearly says the first one's a cutt and the second one's a bow. Nice fish you got there dude.

F

Fishtopher

I guess Ill read the OP's post next time. I just read the thread title, saw the letters TCO, and looked at the pictures. Sorry man.

M

meluvtrout

I know you can keep 2 natives in Clackamas as of May 23, but has there been a change in the regulations for Molalla? or is it still keep one above 20" and C&R for the rest native trout?

M

mgdguy

As far as the possibility of a hybrid, it is entirely possible. Here is a short excerpt from Wikipedia on Cutthroat trout.

"Cutthroat will readily interbreed with the closely related rainbow trout, producing fertile hybrids commonly called "cutbow". Cutthroat will also hybridize with the O. gilae subspecies, the Gila trout and Apache trout."

Thanks for the info Beaverfan, that's what I was looking for!

L

Lostinthemix

Nice fish, Ive been thinking about running out there and giving it a try.
Jr.

A

adambomb

I know you can keep 2 natives in Clackamas as of May 23, but has there been a change in the regulations for Molalla? or is it still keep one above 20" and C&R for the rest native trout?

As of this year it is catch and release only for all trout, open for fin clipped salmon and steelhead all year. Bait season is May 15-July 15, and open season for native salmon and steelhead is July 1-August 31. No limit on size or number of small mouth taken.

O

osmosis

Meluvtrout, you cannot keep natives out of the clackamas at all. Who told you that? Check out page 50 in your reg book.
It is open to "two adipose fin-clipped trout per day between may 23rd, and oct 31, no minimum length"

K

klamathsteel

I'm wondering why you guys are helping him identify the fish when he clearly says the first one's a cutt and the second one's a bow. Nice fish you got there dude.

Yea, that's what i was thinkin :rolleyes:

M

meluvtrout

Meluvtrout, you cannot keep natives out of the clackamas at all. Who told you that? Check out page 50 in your reg book.
It is open to "two adipose fin-clipped trout per day between may 23rd, and oct 31, no minimum length"
Somebody has to talk to Gary at All American Tackle then!

H

hendrixfan

Caught this little guy on the Molalla today(and released of course). The spinner was one I made:

Top Bottom