First large mouth bass

S
Spydeyrch
So I went out to my mom's ranch out in Falls City (just outside of Dallas, out of Salem) for the weekend. She helps run a horse camp for children from the less fortunate areas of San Diego, CA. They don't have a lot of opportunity to go do things such as camping, fishing, hiking, horse backriding, etc.

Anyway, after a long day Saturday, we went to the lake. I had never been before to that specific lake. When we got there, a few of the kids shot out on some rowboats and started fishing.

So I pulled out my gear that I "just happened" (wink wink) to have in my rig. I got out on a little paddle boat and went to the far side from where everyone was fishing, swimming, and jetskiing.

I through on a little soft plastic "yum" worm on a no. 10 hook. I cast out and with in 2 mints on my first cast I had this beautiful 3.5 pound Large Mouth Bass. I like to be a c&r fisher so I let it go. My wife wasn't too happy about that. So I cast again and about 5 mins later I had a second one! This one was a little smaller, around 2 pounds. We kept that one. the pics are below.

When I got back tot eh shore the kids were whoppin and hollerin about the fish. They had only caught little smaller guys. So I gave them some tips and they praised me as a pro. Little did they know it was my first and second bass. hahahahahaha. I caught a total of 4 that day, the last two returned to the water and were smaller.

-Spydey

B
Browning
Watch out, this is when the bait monkey climbs on your back :lol: And congrats! :clap:

F
Finneus Polebender
Nice deal maybe you can get your wife to understand that if all the 3+ lbers keep getting yarded out soon there will be none to be caught , you kept the right one for dinner , Although I admit I am more into letting all my bass go , nice job !

S
Spydeyrch
Finneus Polebender said:
Nice deal maybe you can get your wife to understand that if all the 3+ lbers keep getting yarded out soon there will be none to be caught , you kept the right one for dinner , Although I admit I am more into letting all my bass go , nice job !

Yeah, me too. I like to c&r almost all my fish, but I kept the 2pounder because my wife, two kids, and mother were like fish hoards and took it from me before I could put it back. :-(

F
Finneus Polebender
Spydeyrch said:
Yeah, me too. I like to c&r almost all my fish, but I kept the 2pounder because my wife, two kids, and mother were like fish hoards and took it from me before I could put it back. :-(

Hey dont take what I said wrong .well within the regs to keep that size bass most places, which is all that matters, and hey I eat fish to by the regs , just not bass cause where I usually catch them I just say no to the funky taste that comes with them.

S
Spydeyrch
Finneus Polebender said:
Hey dont take what I said wrong .well within the regs to keep that size bass most places, which is all that matters, and hey I eat fish to by the regs , just not bass cause where I usually catch them I just say no to the funky taste that comes with them.

Nope, I didn't take it the wrong way at all. :) I was just saying that I would have liked to tossed the 2 pounder back but because of peer pressure, I didn't. Oh, well, I guess that is why I don't go with my wife and kids very often. They like to catch the fish and eat them but they don't like prepare them (gut them) and they don't like to cook them. I on the other hand like to catch them and release them, unless I am in the mood for some tasty food. yummm yummm.

:)

-Spydey

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sounds like you deserved a bit of a reward,good job.

troutdude
troutdude
Dear Bass Pro...

Congrats on #'s 1 & 2!

Good for you, to C & R. And I tip my hat to you, for sharing information w/ those lil' whipper snappers.

S
Spydeyrch
troutdude said:
Dear Bass Pro...

Congrats on #'s 1 & 2!

Good for you, to C & R. And I tip my hat to you, for sharing information w/ those lil' whipper snappers.

Well thank you for the compliment. That is very kind of you. but I doubt that I am anything even close to a bass pro. hahahahahahahaha.

Oh, and I +1 for Pat McManus 4 President!! He cracks me up!! I would have to say that my favorite book of his is "Never Sniff A Gift Fish" and also "They Shoot Canoes, Dont They?" I have some great memories of my family (parents and siblings) sitting around together, taking turns reading from his books. We would be cracking up, rolling on the floor and not able to breath for like 2 minute streches (A little exateration there). Great stuff!!!

-Spydey

troutdude
troutdude
Just a little "tongue in cheek" comedy attempt, with the bass pro comment. At least that kids thought that you must be a pro.

Yep, Pat's stuff is among the funniest stuff that I've ever had the pleasure to read.

R
RIVERFISHER
bad luck to keep a largemouth.. im still in a slumpo affter lettin certain someone keep a fish in my boat..........

T
TTFishon
RIVERFISHER said:
bad luck to keep a largemouth.. im still in a slumpo affter lettin certain someone keep a fish in my boat..........

Don't say that. I let a buddy talk me into keepin one from Crane Prairie last weekend. It tasted pretty good too.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Congrats on your first bass! just wait until you start catching them lunkers on top water lures. nothing gets your blood flowing like a huge bass ripping its way out of the water and slamming your bait and pulling drag! You'll be hooked for life. and a little bit of info in a good healthy lake a bass will reproduce twice a year, and it will take about a year to year and half to reach 2lbs or 15inches.

T
TTFishon
Outdoor_Myers said:
Congrats on your first bass! just wait until you start catching them lunkers on top water lures. nothing gets your blood flowing like a huge bass ripping its way out of the water and slamming your bait and pulling drag! You'll be hooked for life. and a little bit of info in a good healthy lake a bass will reproduce twice a year, and it will take about a year to year and half to reach 2lbs or 15inches.

I don't believe that to be true in Oregon healthy or not.

O
Outdoor_Myers
TTFishon said:
I don't believe that to be true in Oregon healthy or not.

what really? that is weird since the weather is warmer here than the midwest on average year round, I have yet to see a pond frozen here. maybe its because they are so stressed with a lot of presure and the legal limits on them makes it harder for them to grow due to over population?

T
TTFishon
Outdoor_Myers said:
what really? that is weird since the weather is warmer here than the midwest on average year round, I have yet to see a pond frozen here. maybe its because they are so stressed with a lot of presure and the legal limits on them makes it harder for them to grow due to over population?

Well, I'm no biologist, but I'd guess in Oregon about a half pound to a pound a year would be about right. I could be totally OFF base though. I'm pretty sure bass only spawn in the spring here, but once again I could be wrong. Maybe someone else that's more edjucated on the subject will chime in.

F
Finneus Polebender
RIVERFISHER said:

Hey now learned my lesson the first time!!!!! Never again , and youve set hook on more than a few lunkers since then ,can't say youve not had your oppertunities! will agree though it is bad, bad , bad , luck , just dont think its the 7 year type at least I hope not!!!! I am the one whos living proof , yet to better his mark, or have a chance too .