First Lake Trout and first post

L
lopduck
Made a trip up to Odell on Saturday, since we didn't have time to head to Billy Chinook to try for Bullies. I have been up to Odell several times, but never to target the big boys. We figured since it was still early in year we might have our best chance. When we arrived at Shelter Cove we were very surprised to see so much snow on the ground still. We put in close to 8 am. Since we'd only fished for kokes here and not too many times I might add we weren't really sure where to go. So we started on the Southeast part of the lake. After a couple hours of tracking fish close to the shore and having no luck we headed back over to the west end of the lake. As I put out my Rapala I grabbed the line to put it in the down rigger, I felt my first tug of the day. Figuring I had just snagged a koke I slowly slid my hand with the line in it to the tip of my 6' Ugly Stick to keep the line tight. As I went to set the hook I knew immediately this was no kokanee. After about a fifteen minute battle I landed this 32" Mack. What a rush!!!

We stuck around trying to get my buddy one but abandoned what had worked before just thinking I was lucky, wasn't the first time I have been. Until about 2:30 when my buddy decided to stop using the down rigger and go back to a Rapala at about 10' deep. We trolled for about an hour before we passed the same spot I hooked mine and then SLAM! Fish on!!! He pulled in a 30" Lake Trout. His was a much quicker fight as it swam towards him for awhile and he horsed it in the rest of the way cause he was so anxious.

All in all it was a great day, although a bit cold but hardly noticed with the heater and adrenaline of the catch earlier. Figured since it was reading the posts on OFF the week before that got me thinking of new places to fish I'd share it here. Also I'd like to note I usually catch and release, however this time we did take these bad boys home. I hope I don't offend too many here. The 30" had a 8" kokanee in his belly.

• Picture 003.jpg
  • Picture 011.jpg
Reactions: GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Very nice!! I am definitely going to try for some macks this year, and I do intent on keeping one!!!

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: colbypearson
B
BobbiDollPDX
lopduck said:
Also I'd like to note I usually catch and release, however this time we did take these bad boys home. I hope I don't offend too many here.

You can't please everyone, and there are plenty of us that eat our catch so don't sweat it.

And damnit, I want one of those too!

Nice way to introduce yourself.

troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. An awesome first post! Way to slay 'em.

It makes sense, that you got 'em in the top water...cuz the water is cold and the kokes are near the surface.

So, did you put that 8" koke in the smoker...or was it too far gone? LOL

brandon4455
brandon4455
awesome report and awesome fish! welcome to the forum!

N
nwkiller
pair of beauty's!!

C
capblack
nice fish, and welcome to the forum!! Brian

C
colbypearson
lopduck said:
The 30" had a 8" kokanee in his belly.

I want to learn how to fish for trophy lake trout and browns or even bulltrout at places like billy chinook using swimbaits, That kind of statement always gets me pumped to try it someday!....welcome to OFF sweet fish!.

"The AC is also made in smaller sizes though, and these have turned out to be hot baits for rainbow and brown trout, catching some of the biggest browns on the west coast, including the current Oregon state record."

"I was quite amazed though when I took it home and cleaned it to find a rainbow trout nearly eighteen inches long in its stomach!"

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
kinda hard to fish swimbaits for lake trout.. they stay in deeeeep water.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
brandon4455 said:
kinda hard to fish swimbaits for lake trout.. they stay in deeeeep water.

Down riggers my man. I have one on my pontoon. :D

L
lopduck
Thanks everyone! Glad to read and share stories here from others that have the same affliction that I have. :)

Didn't smoke the koke, but that may not have been a bad idea.

You know Colby, Zen is right about the down riggers with swim baits but at Billy Chinook I've caught plenty Bullies and Browns without down riggers. Either letting a lot (200') of line or with divers. Like we experienced at Odell last weekend early in the year they are up in the the warmer water with the food (smaller fish). I love big fish that eat smaller big fish. Bigger the bait the bigger the catch.

Anyway thanks for the warm welcome. Good luck and tight lines on the Macks and whatever else you are fishing for. Looking forward to reading more fish stories and sharing mine this spring and summer.

S
skunk
Nice report. Sweet looking fish, both.

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish man way to go! Curious how you thought those bad boys tasted. I will never eat a mac again.

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
Nice fish man way to go! Curious how you thought those bad boys tasted. I will never eat a mac again.

Lol x2 I love catching em but after the first one I kept, no more go home lol. Very oily and icky if you ask me lol. But hey everyone likes different things. No question about it though. they're rad fish to catch and you guys had an awesome day! (albeit a very cold looking day)

Y
Yuriy
Now THAT'S what i call trout. Awesome looking fish. I have a lot to learn before I have even a chance at one that big. :)

L
lopduck
I had heard that they were very oily after we'd taken them, so I prepared them in a sauce that would make a turd taste good. :) I am smoking the rest of it this weekend so we'll see how that goes. I am with you on most trout I won't take them home. Since this was my first I figured I'd try anything once, except the turd.

J
JeannaJigs
Just say no to turds.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Troutski
Troutski
Well for starters, nice fish...very nice fish. Oh yea, welcome to OFF;) ; did you happen to get the H2O temp?
Very cool place to fish some great views.

Did you keep the Koke ...:)

Chuck

L
lopduck
Troutski said:
did you happen to get the H2O temp?

Chuck,

It was about 40 degrees. Didn't keep the Koke. :)