First kayak

Grant22
Grant22
Hey everyone, I am looking to get my first kayak for fishing and duck hunting purposes. I am looking currently at the Ascend H12 which is a 12" open cockpit sit-in with a elevated seat. I like the idea of a sit-in for the hunting side of things as I could carry more gear in it. Also is there a big difference between a 10' and a 12' kayak? The 10' is $100 cheaper but if its less stable or maneuverable/tracks worse i'd rather pay the extra $100. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. Would mostly be used rivers like the Willamette and Tualatin and maybe if it get comfortable enough in it some other smaller tributary's of the Willamette. Also the Columbia. Will be using it on lakes and reservoirs also. I will be making some modifications eventually like maybe a fish finder and a removable rod holder in front as well as flood lights.

Last edited:
bass
bass
A 12' will track much better than a 10'. It will also be more stable and handle more weight.

The downsides of the 12' is weight (for getting to and from the water) and cost. However the better fishability of the 12' will be worth the extra money.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
for many of us, and it depends strongly on where you plan to fish and how important self recovery is to you, a self draining 'Sit On Top' is a requirement. When I look at the Ascend design, it is basically a canoe that can fill with water. Getting flipped over or in white caps/swells dumping water into it (Columbia, ocean, large lake) and you would need help. An SOT on the other hand is basically a surf board with a chair that carries lots of stuff. Waves crashing over the bow as you move into the wind just drain away. Flip if back over, climb back on, get back to fishing or safely return to launch point to figure out what you lost. lol

I agree with Bass, 12' is a much better length for tracking and stability.

Grant22
Grant22
Awesome, thanks guys

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I think NuCanoe is a great example. As I recall, their original design was not self draining, then they added that feature to one model, and I'm not certain, but I think now almost all of their boats are a self draining hull design that comes with scupper plugs for when you might want that.

Last edited:
Reactions: NKlamerus
Grant22
Grant22
That's cool. Looks like the SOT version of it has scupper plugs also

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JimboSmith
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
For what it is worth, when I worked at BPS we (“we” being the employees who sold them, Ascend being a house brand) called them “Ass-end” kayaks. Poor build quality, poor quality control, and the design is mediocre at best.

I’ll second everything else which has already been said.

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
After just going through 3 ascend kayaks, I would not recommend their sit on top models.

Their sit-ins however, have less failure points. If your absolutely set on a sit-in style and ascend, I would recommend their H12, absolutely do not go with a 10' unless it won't fit wherever your storing it.

The Facebook groups are the best way to find commons issue, I know the way the seat mounts in the H12 can be a common failure point for heavier guys.

I do forsee you having issues loading a deer or large animal onto one though. I have duck, beaver, whitetail, and even turkey hunted out of a kayak and canoe, and would always prefer sit on top, self bailing and much easier to get in and out with layers on. You do sacrifice some stability though.

Fortunately you are purchasing at the right time of year, lots for sale now and even more by January. Stimulus check kayaks that got used when the weather was warm.