First ever steelhead hookup broke off :(

sambone
sambone
Been grinding every day for last 3 weeks from the bank, finally hooked onto a really powerful fish and panicked. I was not ready, didn't realize how powerful these fish were. didn't have my drag set right and it broke my spinner clean off on 10 lb mono leader attached to 30 pound braid. Was heartbreaking. Saw it roll on top of water, was 100% a steelhead. Guess i just gotta keep grinding it out , im too addicted now lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Bassbuster, Grant22, SciFly and 5 others
Chromatose
Chromatose
Just one Tug is all it takes. Welcome to the Dark side.

Reactions: Bassbuster
hobster
hobster
Get used to it, you will loose as many as you land😀they are insanely fun to fight! Loose drag is essential (but not too loose) you can always slow them with your fingers in the reel. Check your knots and leaders for nicks. They are intense, awesome you hooked one, means you’re fishing them right. VERY slow summer for steelhead, well done

Artwo
Artwo
Summer steelhead are very aggressive, they will test your freak out level for sure.........now you know :)

sambone
sambone
Had another one on this evening, 0-2 lol.. Just glad im actually getting on some more fish , was real bummed out after the first one.

Last edited:
Casting Call
Casting Call
"The tug is the drug" Tony

Reactions: Grant22
Grant22
Grant22
Went to the Nestucca yesterday targeting summers and saw one jump about 100yds upstream from me and got a bite from a cutthroat but that was it for 5hrs. Then went to the Trask to try and catch some trout and saw a group of 3 steelhead hanging out in a really deep hole. Threw everything I had at them and didn’t get a bite. I guess that’s how it goes some days. Caught some little cutties tho so didn’t get skunked.

sambone
sambone
Grant22 said:
Went to the Nestucca yesterday targeting summers and saw one jump about 100yds upstream from me and got a bite from a cutthroat but that was it for 5hrs. Then went to the Trask to try and catch some trout and saw a group of 3 steelhead hanging out in a really deep hole. Threw everything I had at them and didn’t get a bite. I guess that’s how it goes some days. Caught some little cutties tho so didn’t get skunked.
nice, yeah its always good to at least catch something

Reactions: Grant22
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Summer steelhead are some of the best fighting fish. Like Tony said, "the tug is the drug".

Echskech
Echskech
My longest steelhead losing streak was 6 fish, it was the 7th fish that made it all worth it ;)

Good job.

Reactions: Bassbuster