First ever multiplier mooching reel

F
Fly Inspired
Hey guys, the past 2 years i had the chance to work on something really cool with a custom reel maker. Its a 2:1 gear ratio Mooching reel.

Check out the knuckle busting session at the end as well to see how the kick back is. significantly less "dangerous" haha

Does something like this interest the salmon fishing community out west?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Dan

Reactions: Snopro
D
Dizzy Fisherman
My response would be probably not a hot market in the NW and especially at that price point. Most fisherman that are using a 1:1 style mooching reel like that might have one setup on their boat just for fun. You won’t really find an entire boat fishing 1:1 mooching reels. The majority of anglers trolling in the NW are using line counter reels and won’t be utilizing down riggers as much. Those anglers that want to have a 1:1 setup on their boat for fun will typically put a Shimano or Daiwa on it and aren’t going to drop serious cash on an Islander quality reel.

Last edited:
S
Snopro
Dizzy Fisherman said:
You won’t really find an entire boat fishing 1:1 mooching reels. Most fisherman anglers trolling in the NW are using line counter reels.
Is BC part of the PNW? On the North side of the border mooching reels are SOP.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
Snopro said:
Is BC part of the PNW? On the North side of the border mooching reels are SOP.
No. The PNW is Northern Cali, Oregon, and Washington. This reel is made in Canada.

S
Snopro
I'll disagree on your PNW definition.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
Because of Northern Cali? Fine...Oregon and Washington.

BC is Canada. Canada is Canada. BC is the lower mainland.

S
Snopro
A geographic region (PNW) isn't interrupted by a international border.

Reactions: rogerdodger
D
Dizzy Fisherman
He’s in Canada. He posted on this forum because we are in the U.S. So my understanding was that he’s looking for feedback from the West Coast states within the U.S.

Reactions: Fly Inspired
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
@Dizzy Fisherman I am going to agree with your response on the reel. It is a neat idea, I haven't looked to see how much it costs, but it isn't something that I could see myself purchasing or fishing with. Same goes more most of the folks that I fish with.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
TheKnigit said:
@Dizzy Fisherman I am going to agree with your response on the reel. It is a neat idea, I haven't looked to see how much it costs, but it isn't something that I could see myself purchasing or fishing with. Same goes more most of the folks that I fish with.
It was over $900 Canadian

• Wow
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Dizzy Fisherman said:
It was over $900 Canadian
That's currently $706 U.S.! I would agree that not many would pay that sort of money.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I am kind of glad I didn't look at the price then. That is ridiculous.

DOKF
DOKF
They are targeting whales.

Reactions: Fly Inspired
F
Fly Inspired
Thanks for all the feedback guys