First bass in Oregon

B
burnsbabe
Hey all!

I'm new to the forum and new in town. I just moved to Portland from the king of all Bass fishing areas down south. Alabama and Georgia. When I headed up here I didn't even know you had bass!

Anyway, I've killed a couple hours here and there trying things and did finally get one pound and a half guy off of the docks at the put in at Willamette Park. That restored some faith. I spent that morning down near Elk Rock Island too. In short, I have the day off tomorrow and Tuesday and am looking to do some serious fishing. I do mostly bass and panfish are always good though if you want to teach me about steelhead or trout or any of those I'm up for listening. I'm off of Sandy in NE so options near there would be great and I don't have a boat.

Two other, related issues. Any idea where there's a damn bait shop around here? I can't find one anywhere which seems silly. Also, anyone know if there are fish in the water holes on the Rose City Golf Course? Cause if there aren't, I'll make sure there are soon.

W
waco
welcome to the forum im sure you will find a lot of information here!! sadly i dont know anything about bass but good luck to you finding what you want!!

M
Metz84
Welcome to the forums. Im from Alabama and I know what you mean about the bass fishing in the south, can't beat it! Their are bass here in oregon you just have to find them. We have a great Bass section in our forums that has a lot of info that your looking for. If you can't find it, just post and someone will help you, asap.

T
TTFishon
Woo hoo, another bass fisherman! Welcome to the forum. I no nothing about the Portland area but if you're ever down in the Eugene area I can turn you onto some bass holes.

B
burnsbabe
Well, I went out today and it was a total nada. I tried several places including Salish and Blue Lake and then headed back down to Elk Rock Island. It was a lot more motoring than I really wanted to do.

Starting to think Oregon fish are just different. Lost a couple of good baits too.

T
TTFishon
Well I went out today for a few hours and only caught one 5 incher so don't feel bad.

F
Finneus Polebender
TTFishon said:
Well I went out today for a few hours and only caught one 5 incher so don't feel bad.

Cold front wind got us I think!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Finneus Polebender said:
Cold front wind got us I think!

Yeah it did! Good time though, it felt great to get out on the water!! I had to leave early and BARELY had enough gas to get home. I was on empty when I left. I drafted a Fed-Ex truck all the way home and my gauge barely moved haha..

F
Finneus Polebender
GraphiteZen said:
Yeah it did! Good time though, it felt great to get out on the water!! I had to leave early and BARELY had enough gas to get home. I was on empty when I left. I drafted a Fed-Ex truck all the way home and my gauge barely moved haha..

Glad you made it maybe next time will be warmer/better gonna hold ya to the smallmouth deal!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Finneus Polebender said:
Glad you made it maybe next time will be warmer/better gonna hold ya to the smallmouth deal!

Haha be my guest man! The year before last I spent an average of 5 days a week actually on the river for three months. That loop I was telling you about I know pretty damn well!

Anytime man I am down (work permitting of course haha)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
So who all showed up today? There were several people I didn't get to meet, I was busy getting my gear ready. Usually I'm a lot more friendly :)

T
TTFishon
That was FP's boy Colby and Colby's cousin in the Livingston. Not sure if they're on this forum or not.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I know Colby, he was out at Delta last spring I think it was.

F
Finneus Polebender
GraphiteZen said:
I know Colby, he was out at Delta last spring I think it was.

Yep was out at delta /avid young fisher on OFF ,his cousin is Jake not sure if he gets on the forum only other who missed was supposed to be there was thuggin . Called Drice last minute after thuggin cancelled but he couldnt swing it. We will try and set up a little informal bass tourney there before the end of the season of course space will be somewhat limited should be able to get most of the serious bass guys on here in though . Been building a little freindship with owner so with some luck maybe come end of august/begining of sept ,and will have to be a weekday ,will give several weeks notice so those who normally work weekdays can maybe get a day off . Be fun to do an all day deal maybe a barbeque /potluck afterwards . the place is set up nice for it!

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
A BBQ!! That would be great!

B
burnsbabe
Well, I'm glad to know it was the weather and not me. The water was down at least a foot in the two day space between my visits to Elk Rock Island so that should have tipped me off that something weird was going on. If anybody is ready for a trip let me know!

J
jpjule
I'm in se portland. can take you to a few spots that hold some nice smallies. I moved here from texas a few years back, the fishing here is much different. learning to love smallmouth fishing but i miss the big largemouth in the south.