First baitcaster

Bake
Bake
It's all in the thumb, the magnetic/centric brake, main bearing adjustment. Practice heavy, and after a while begin to go lite. I started with 1oz, lead weight & 8 lb. line on a rod [ Ugly Stick 6'6"] marked 1/4 to 1/2 oz., line 8-20 lbs. I threw at a hula loop while sitting in a folding chair in my front yard. Within 3 months, I was sitting on the front of my BassTracker, watching the fishfinder, working the trolling motor with my right foot, and casting a 1/4 oz. worm rig, on 14 lb. line, averaging about 40 casts per hour without a backlash. . .

Reactions: troutdude
N
nathanross
I am looking to buy a new baitcaster. It will primarily be used for river cats. Will be holding 30 lb spiderwire. What would be a good reel for this? I was looking at the mitchell baitcaster, does anybody have one of these and are they any good? Also a buddy has a abu garcia black max he likes, but I don't thing abu garcia makes these anymore. Would also like to stay under $100.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
@nathanross Do NOT get a new Abu Garcia. They are now made in China, and not in Sweden anymore. So their quality now sucks. Not sure what else to recommend. I'm sure that others will chime in.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Welcome aboard! Try E-bay auctions, be patient black max will come up for bid soon. Stay with the Sweden made models (red housing) and good luck. Tony 10%er

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Casting Call said:
Stay with the Sweden made models (red housing)
Yes that!

D
DonF
Snopro said:
I think you're way off with this statement. There are some craptastic reels currently out there on the low end (Lews, 13 fishing, KastKing etc). My old Curado and Calcutta weren't even considered the best 15 years ago and blow away the cheapest baitcasting reels of today.
Probably truth to that but then reels from 15 yrs ago have 15 years of upgrades in them and price increase's in them. Questio is from a new guy and way to break in unless you have to much money is relatively inexpensive! My vote for this guy would be the inexpensive Kastking level wind, I have three and no problem with them. I also have ABU's, Daiwas, Shakepere and a couple other's. Worst reel I have is a Shakespere but in the end I have to admit it works! getting pretty old too! If the guy finds he doesn't like casting reels, he's not gonna be in a situation where he needs to sell off an outfit to inexpensive just to get rid of it. On the other hand if he get's something reasonable to learn on, he can, and probably will, upgrade down the road! Nobody buys a Lamborgini to learn to drive!