First attempt

T
TTFishon
Here's my first attempt at making some trolling gear. I still needs a rudder and the blades I made myself.
006.jpg

M
mikeredding
Right on man. Looks like a Kokanee killer to me!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Very nicely done Ted. Looks store bought.

Just wondering...nickel or silver plated blades?

T
TTFishon
Thanks guys! Thanks for the lureparts link and TD, the blades I cut out of a cheap metal bowl I bought from WINCO. lol They kind of have a dull shine to them so I'm thinking about sticking some prism tape on them.

troutdude
troutdude
Hey, whatever works man. The first spoons...were literally parts of real table utensils!

I was asking about the finish; because silver plating has a considerably brighter flash than nickel (under water). So, if you do want greater flash...adding some prism tape is probably a good idea (and inexpensive).

C
chrisohm
Prism tape rocks! I have some wicked tape I put on my small spinners for trout and it works better than I do...!

F
Finneus Polebender
Purdy , bet those big ol blades are gonna flash up the water nice and prob work at a reel slow speed too !

T
TTFishon
Finneus Polebender said:
Purdy , bet those big ol blades are gonna flash up the water nice and prob work at a reel slow speed too !

That's what I was thinking and hopefully I can try em out next week.

C_Run
C_Run
troutdude said:
Hey, whatever works man. The first spoons...were literally parts of real table utensils!

I was asking about the finish; because silver plating has a considerably brighter flash than nickel (under water). So, if you do want greater flash...adding some prism tape is probably a good idea (and inexpensive).

I have a friend who's a real artisan and fisherman. He once showed me his home made spoons that he caught steelhead on made from (what else ?) , spoons. He did it all with a Dremmel tool. I've been stockpiling several to try to do the same with but haven't gotten around to it yet. If I can find a cheap silver plated spoon at a garage sale, I buy it and it goes in the box. Maybe that would be a good snow day project.

T
TTFishon
I want to start making my own spoons too. There's some pretty good videos on youtube with some nice homemade spoons.

R
ryan808
Nice work TT.:clap:

T
TTFishon
Thanks Ryan!

L
LuckyToBeFishing
Looks great!

T
TTFishon
Hey, thanks Lucky!

troutdude
troutdude
I'm in the middle, of reading Bill Herzog's book about spoon fishing for Steelhead. Lets just say; that this her fisherman will be doing a LOT of spoon fishing from here on.

T
TTFishon
troutdude said:
I'm in the middle, of reading Bill Herzog's book about spoon fishing for Steelhead. Lets just say; that this her fisherman will be doing a LOT of spoon fishing from here on.

I've only caught 4 steelys in my life and 3 of them were on spoons.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep Yep. A spoon can be OFFered in pockets not fishable by any other method.