Finding the right spots?

S
SteeliPez89
Whats up everybody I am fro east oregon and fish mcnary and the umatilla for steelis but I don't mind traveling new places to catch these beautiful fish. My question here is where are some places that produce the best steelhead fishing this time of year? Of anyone could give me some answers i would appreciate it. Thank you!

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Wilson, although this week is probably a bit rough....:sad:

O
OnTheDrop
Hmmm. A short list would be...Big Creek, Necannicum, NF Nehalem, Three rivers, Sandy, Clackamas, Wilson, Trask, Kilches, Nestucca, Little Nestucca, Siletz, Alsea, Siuslaw.

The first four mentioned have early runs....The others have early, with a dominant later.

troutdude
troutdude
Do a search, of the various coastal rivers, in the archives here on OFF. Also look up the Sandy and Clackamas. You'll find TONS of valauble information. Also check out "Best Fishing in Oregon", both online and the hard copy book. You could also visit the NW Steelheaders site.

S
SteeliPez89
Thank you all very much for sharing I appreciate every bit of it I'll have to do some more research and plan a trip out west

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

EOBOY
EOBOY
SteeliPez89 said:
Whats up everybody I am fro east oregon and fish mcnary and the umatilla for steelis but I don't mind traveling new places to catch these beautiful fish. My question here is where are some places that produce the best steelhead fishing this time of year? Of anyone could give me some answers i would appreciate it. Thank you!

SteeliPez89;

I grew up fishing Umatilla and Mcnary, plunking, back in the 60's. Funny I was just sitting here thinking the lower river heats in Jan. maybe not so much now, haven't fish it in a long time.

EOBOY

EOBOY
EOBOY
OnTheDrop said:
Hmmm. A short list would be...Big Creek, Necannicum, NF Nehalem, Three rivers, Sandy, Clackamas, Wilson, Trask, Kilches, Nestucca, Little Nestucca, Siletz, Alsea, Siuslaw.

The first four mentioned have early runs....The others have early, with a dominant later.
Hummmm isn't that a Johnny Cash song?

S
SteeliPez89
EOBoy,
the steelhead fishing is ok on the lower Umatilla but you have to drift it from the launch to the mouth and then back up but there always a lot of boats making it look like a spring break boat tie-off. I have caught some 15lb+ Chinook out of china man hole but Im looking for steelis, I am thinking of trolling for steelis above mcnary I don't know how good it is right now!

EOBOY
EOBOY
You would be better OFF plucking below the dam my grandpa and my brother always did well there. I lived in hermy

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

EOBOY
EOBOY
My dad fished below the dam on the Tilly but that's blocked OFF now isn't it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

S
sapo
necanicum, klaskanine, big creek, north fork nehalem-

should all have fish right now (many others too but those would be my top choices)

N
NJOYTSNJOYTR
You drive, ill navigate. :thumb:

S
SteeliPez89
NJOYTSNJOYTR said:
You drive, ill navigate. :thumb:
Sounds good where you live

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk