Finally.

troutmasta
Hit the Sandy today....Hiked onto my favorite spot by about 6:15. It was pretty dark but I could tell that the water had risen. I heard that amazing splash of the ocasional fish. Setup a 1oz. bobber with a wad of eggs I got from a highly reputable source. I topped it w a glow in the dark corkie cuz it was still darkish out. With that my bobber day began. I fished for an hour and noticed two unexciting things:
A. The water was still pretty brown all though it was all ready dropping, and
B. once the sun rose I didn't see any of the fish I heard jumping in the dark

I took OFF my corkie and threw on some pink UV yarn with my eggs and floated that for a while... still nothing. So, I sat down for a quick moment to enjoy some of the finer aspects of nature when two awesome things happend:
A. I looked up and saw a big ol sucker roll right in the middle of the cut I was fishing all morning
B. I found a tuna belly that had been in the grocery bag my jar of eggs were in while they were in the freezer.(probably my wife "consolidating my baits", oh well thanks hunny ;) )

Now that I would be staying a bit, I figured a fresh setup was in order. I traded the 1 oz. bobber for a 1/2 oz. bobber, something Im a little more famillliar with using. I slapped on a big fresh wad of berries, then came the cherry on the top, chunk of tuna belly right on the hook.
First cast, bump..bump..Boom!, bobber gone! Now, I think no rain must of made me rusty because instead of my usual hook set explosion, I just slowly pulled up on my rod. Thank god this thing liked tuna cause I swear to god I pulled it up to the surface Its head stuck out of the water hook in the tip of the top mouth and it Is Still Nawing On My Setup!!! Thank goodness I snapped out of my trance at that moment cause I burried the hook in its mouth and it was on!
I fought the fish for about 5-10 min it made two good runs. I knew it was hooked good cause It was right in front of me when I set it. Then I dragged it to the bank. No pic at the river I just bled it rebaited and went right back in. Didn't want to change my gloves or get blood and eggs all over my phone/camera.

The next hour was hot! I got about a 18i.n steelhead, which I don't know if is considered an actuall steelhead, It was clipped but I wasn't sure so I released it. About 4 casts later I got a big steelhead! I let it go so just in case I got another ho.

Then the most amazing no bulls@#$ thing in the world happend!I actually got a fish on my last cast.

I had all my gear packed up I left out one chunk of eggs and piece of tuna, so I could fish the walk back. No need. Threw my backpack on, and said to myself "one more cast" before I hike/fish out. Cast way up into some fast water bam-o bobber down! Thought I was hooked on a rock at first cause it happed so fast, But after a quick tug back I could see the fish flashing as it came though the rapids straight at me.
"Fish coming down" I yelled as I was sure I would speed right passed me toward some other anglers. But nope swam right to me jerked around a little that was it.

Grabbed it. Bonked it. Bled it.

The first Coho was a swollen hen. The second I wasn't so sure. Got home cut em open. Blaow!! lots of ripe berries!!!
I LOVE THE RAIN!
(only snapped one of the 2nd fish at the river, took my bloody gloves OFF when I was leaving, but lots of picks at home, Both fish were LOADED with eggs!)

Last edited:
TimberTodd
Excellent:clap::clap::clap:
I was on the southern Oregon coast for the weekend and they didn't get near the rainfall.

eugene1
congrats!

Nice fish and great post, pretty sweet when you are releasing fish to catch more fish.

Kage
i'm so jealous right now but happy for u :D i'm headin out tomorrow so hopefully i get some luck as well >_<

Goodtimes
That is a beautiful beautiful day you described right there. Inspiring for me. Thanks.

wozniasm
:clap::clap::clap:

Homebrewmike
Wow, it's nice to see someone starting to land some on the Sandy!

Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Cha-ching!!! Nice double!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And thanks for a great post. Love to hear the play by play --- great fish tale!

troutdude
Indeed; a great a fish tale! Good thing that you let the steelies go, eh?

An excellent report. Thanks for sharing.

troutmasta
Thank All!

Im headed to the same spot on wed afternoon and thurs if the weather/water is right, its looking like its gonna be perfect. Anybody that wants to meet me at cedar creek can hike down with.

CurtisP87
I was at cedar creek Monday morning, but by the time my friend and i got there the bank was pretty full of anglers already . We didn't feel like competing for a piece of bank, so we relocated to dodge park. No luck for us, but we saw a couple beautiful fish on the bank at cedar creek. There were a few people fishing at Dodge, but I didn't see any action. Guess we should have stayed at CC....

troutmasta
CurtisP87 said:
I was at cedar creek Monday morning, but by the time my friend and i got there the bank was pretty full of anglers already . We didn't feel like competing for a piece of bank, so we relocated to dodge park. No luck for us, but we saw a couple beautiful fish on the bank at cedar creek. There were a few people fishing at Dodge, but I didn't see any action. Guess we should have stayed at CC....

Every one hates Cedar because its "combat" fishing. However, I get there ususally 1 1/2 to 2 hours before sunrise. I like to hike past the crowds as well, there is some nice water downstream. spend a good 45 min to an hour hiking in. no crowds lots of fish.

alm21
troutmasta said:
Every one hates Cedar because its "combat" fishing. However, I get there ususally 1 1/2 to 2 hours before sunrise. I like to hike past the crowds as well, there is some nice water downstream. spend a good 45 min to an hour hiking in. no crowds lots of fish.

River crossing looks a lot more sketchy this year. I haven't tried it this year but was out there yesterday afternoon. Saw a few guys jamming to get back across as the water was on the rise. Def above waist deep. BTW, nice pair of chromers you have there!

Last edited:
setdahook
I was out at Dodge just before first light on Saturday and stayed until 11am working every color spinner I had - not a thing and only saw a few things rolling. I saw one guy bring in a jack and that was it for the day from anything I saw or heard.

I went downstream and walked to the end of the island hoping to find some new water to fish but didn't see a great place to cross and the bank was too steep to walk. Is there a way to access those runs below the island? I see on google maps there's a camp on the East side and wondering if they're closed this late in the year and OK with fishermen passing through?

Either way congrats on your fish and hope it picks up this weekend!

troutmasta
alm21 said:
River crossing looks a lot more sketchy this year. I haven't tried it this year but was out there yesterday afternoon. Saw a few guys jamming to get back across as the water was on the rise. Def above waist deep. BTW, nice pair of chromers you have there!
Ive crossed 2 times this year, last on sunday as long as its 8.5 or less at bull run you can usually cross. There is a specific spot. I've been watching the river all day should be about there depth wise tomorrow.

Top Bottom