Finally shopping for a pontoon

S

SDK

Not sure I have any questions, just wanted to mention it and see if anyone had recommendations.

I want something that will be good to drift easier river stretches. The plan is to learn the art of drifting and the lay of the local rivers before I get a real drift boat. Also planning on using it on lakes/ponds and getting a trolling motor for it.

I'm hoping to have it in time for the Delta Pond trip on March 7th.

woohoo! :dance:

C

Combat Chuck

I like my fish cat 9... thats about all I have to say since you have no questions :D Go to someplace that has lots of them on display and look at the little things you like and dont like about the different brands. Every one is gonna be a little different.

Troutski

Troutski

Powered...

Powered...

Keep in mind once you put any motor on a floating device it must be registered with the State Marine Board. You will need to put hull numbers on the toon, not sure how one would do that though. If you have never drifted a river I would suggest going with some one that has a ton of experience, there is a ton of knowledge to stuff into your brain pan. The river is not the place to learn by yourself. Just my opinion...

Chuck

N

ninja2010

i have a tricked out 8' buck's bags high adventure, made in idaho. i use a motor on it and to answer chuck's q, i have the hull # on two strips of plastics and hang them from both sides of my frame. the toon is rated for 325lbs and my total load with motor and gear is 180lbs, so i float real high and it's great to be on the water rather than being stuck on the bank...

S

SDK

Thanks for all of the input so far, but my resolve is wavering :D

There are so many nice little 16ft fishing boats around at highway robbery prices. I almost feel like I should snap one up now and put the toon off for one more season.

Arghhhh.......:think:

D

Dichrofisher

I would look into kayaks too. It seemed a natural progression of usable craft in my opinion. The kayak can be very nimble especially in upstream situations. The kayak will get you around in a lake quick as well. Lots of different kinds of them too. It depends on your individual needs.

J

joeyota

Thanks for all of the input so far, but my resolve is wavering :D

There are so many nice little 16ft fishing boats around at highway robbery prices. I almost feel like I should snap one up now and put the toon off for one more season.

Arghhhh.......:think:

Good luck with your decision. I have a 17ft and a 12ft aluminum boat and am also kicking around the idea of a toon or a drift boat. Or better yet a jet boat that I can motor up river? I don't know what I want after having two boats already so good luck and let us know how your decision turns out.

G

GraphiteZen

drug-runner-rib.jpg

:D:D:D

But seriously, check out anything Fishcat or Outcast.

Do a search for threads on the forum about pontoons. There has been some really great info passed back and forth.

Just keep in mind that when you are either on the road with it loaded up or sitting in it on the river, people look at you like you're driving a hot-rod. :D:D Maybe not, but they are an absolute blast.

S

SDK

Found a like new 9' Water Skeeter with extras, and talked the guy down to less than $200.

I'm picking it up tomorrow :clap::clap::clap:

Will post pics as soon as I get it rigged up....

M

mikeredding

Congrats on the find, can't wait to see the pics. You will surely enjoy it. They are a lot of fun to fish on.

N

ninja2010

that's a good price for a sweet ride. you'll get a bajillion hours of fun from it... can't wait to see the pix of your new ride.

S

SDK

Thanks guys! here are some pre-makeover pics. Along with the basic kit I got an anchor system and upgraded brass oarlocks. I have a few improvements in mind. The first thing I need to do is build a lightweight platform in behind the seat for some extra stowage. Then I'm going to add a few toys ;)

Does anyone know if there is somewhere in Eugene, or if Sportsmans Warehouse in Salem has a good selection of toon accessories? Everywhere I checked around here has next to nothing. I'm specifically looking for things like some Scottys rod holders, oar keepers and possibly an upgraded set of oars etc....

Anyway here she is.....

003-4.jpg

001-10.jpg

C

Combat Chuck

Sportsmans seemed to have the most gear but sometimes their stock is pretty low. If it gives ya any ideas here is my setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SDK

Thanks for the links. I've been looking online, but was hoping to find at least some stuff locally

Chuck- That flooring is awesome. You built exactly what I was envisioning for the back deck, but I really like how you extended it up front as well. Can you briefly explain what you did as far as materials etc...

Did that add much weight? It's a factor for me as I'm already about 220lbs...

Scott

Last edited:
C

Combat Chuck

Its a pre-cut 2'x2' 3/4" plywood from home depot. You could go in there and hold to see what you think of the weight. Im lighter so that wasn't a problem for me. I probably could have gone 1/2" but went with the stronger just because I could. I cut 4 slits in it and attached it to the frame with velcro strips. I treated the wood with sealer and added grip tape to it so I dont slip on the wet wood. The Scotty rod holder just bolts through the wood and I have also seen ones that attach to the frame. I have since moved that rod holder to the end of the deck because I got sick of my rods resting in my crotch. I have an aluminum back deck that came with the boat but I have thought about making a wooden back one so I could make slots, rails and those kinds of things specifically for holding gear.

Last edited:
Troutski

Troutski

Oregon River Sports

Oregon River Sports

ORS is located on Franklin in Glenwood just before you enter Eugene on the right hand side of the street, they have a very nice selection of add ons for your toon. The only thing standing in your way is how deep your wallet is;) Have fun and be safe on the water.

Chuck

H

Hawk

Just an idea............you could mount an ice chest behind the seat, probably be able to mount a trolling motor, & it might even be buoyant..................:D.................:cool:

Good Luck Bro