Finally made a trip to "heaven"

F
FishSchooler
After a long period of "yes lets go" and "never mind..." I finally made a trip to BC Angling post in Gladstone.

A little bit shocked on the price of bell bodies, but oh well, I bought the components needed to make 12 bell bodied/hex rattle spinners along with a pair of the leadmaster pliers.

DSC_5268.jpg
DSC_5274.jpg

But with the "achievement" comes some questions...

The leadmaster will still create a flat surface of the loop when (offsetting?) the wire by 45 degrees since only one of the surfaces of the pliers is round... how do I avoid this if possible?

And it's really hard to bend the wire around the cone tip tightly to get a "perfect" loop and I end up getting some spaces/cornerish bends... any tips?

and.
The guy at the counter (Bill?) handed me the clevises I would 'need' and I looked at the label and they were size 1's... Figuring that he must know what he was doing, I got them. But looking back into this forum's history, people have said to use size 2 or 3's, depending on the blade's hole position or whatnot.

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
I thought you were gone for good. lol
Those look like some nice spinners! :clap:

M
metalmania
Keep practicing and your eyes will get better, but don't think they have to be perfect to catch fish. I use size 3 clevises on no. 4 bell bodies, as they always outfish 2's or 1's, atleast they do for me anyway.

F
FishSchooler
I haven't really been "focusing" on this stuff all summer or the school year... but now as the coho come I'm starting to feel it again

F
FishSchooler
That's why I'm wondering if he just gave me a random pack of clevises :think:

T
Troutier Bassier
FishSchooler said:
I haven't really been "focusing" on this stuff all summer or the school year... but now as the coho come I'm starting to feel it again

Yeah I know what you mean. I went to the Olympics for Water Polo this year so I didn't have much time or energy for fishing.

R
rickman
Leave at least 2 inches of tag wire to twist around the main shaft by hand. Makes it much easier, especially with thicker wire.

F
FishFinger
Nicely done little buddy.....

Those are the new bells, He's painting me up a few dozen as well.

To avoid squaring off your loop, contact the pliers just lightly at a 30 degree angle then roll the pliers so they sit on the top of the loop. Push the tag end put to 90 degrees to begin your wraps. With thicker wire leave a longer tag end.

What clevis did you use? #3 sounds right, it tested out to give the best wobble/cavitation; I'd go with it too.

Make sure to tune your spinners as well, adjust your lower loop and get the hook to hang nice and centered when you spin the lead wire between thumb and forefinger.

Keep practicing, your off to a great start.

F
FishSchooler
The guy at the counter (Bill?) said I would need #1 clevises... so on some of them I have #1's and most #3's :think:

T
Troutier Bassier
FishSchooler said:
The guy at the counter (Bill?) said I would need #1 clevises... so on some of them I have #1's and most #3's :think:

Now isn't the time to be worrying about spinners. You have school tomorrow.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Those look awesome!!