Finally killed the skunk! (On the Siuslaw)

J
JeannaJigs
So I told my boss today I had to help someone move and I needed to take the day off.

Didn't say who, what or where, so I didn't lie, I just did not partake in disclosure of any kind.

Thugginn4life and I hit the 'slaw before the sun was up, you see, I towed his boat...so that was what I was movin'..a boat...to the river...Very important stuff.

We hit the water about 06:56, and around 07:15 I had a take down at the "Totem Pole Hole" (I bet you don't know where that's at :) ). FISH ON. It fought hard, and didn't want to come up, this fish was runnin' deep. Got it in close and new instantly it was a 'nook...and so I was stoked. It's been 2 years since I've tagged a 'nook on that river since last year I really didn't try..at all since I was targetting coho on Tahkenitch. Before I saw this fish, I thought it was gonna be absolutely MASSIVE, it was runnin' and taking my line with it, my reel was screamin'. LOL. it wasn't as big as originally thought, but i didn't care, it fought like a big fish, plus, I had a wimpy steelhead rod so it was bending something fierce. So after a good fight, finally got it in the boat, and it was lights out good sir Chinook. This fish was CHROME, and I just got done cleaning it, and noticed he was absolutely covered in sea lice.

Had another take down a while later, and then had a fiesty good sized coho on, that came unbuttoned after a decent acrobatic fight.

Andy got a real nice Coho, big and bright, and he was released unscathed without becoming a seal snack.

All in all, awesome day on the water. Couldn't have asked for a better day. Only know of one or two other unconfirmed fish caught.

25.5 inches, 10.5 pounds

Pictures coming soon.

T
Thuggin4Life
Thanks for helping me move. Here are the pics of Jeanna's nook and my $350 nook. Nice day out. Seemed like the friendlier fishers were out today and even bumped into some friends who had better luck the day before than we did today. Had a depth finder so I got to know the river a bit better. All we need is more rain. And even a bit more rain.

J
JeannaJigs
And...the money shot from the cell phone must be included. This is the nastiest most grimiest bloody dollar...i'm going to keep it, it's lucky.

T
Thuggin4Life
Lucky Bill for sure. Strange how similar thes 2 pics are...

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
Lucky Bill for sure. Strange how similar thes 2 pics are...
Yeah, but does his have a dolla'? Mhm I didn't think so.. (dolla' for the win!).That seat is lucky dude. That's the only explaination. Next time, we're getting into some of those 90 pounders, you know how I know? I'll have the lucky dollar.

State record...here we come.

B
Bohemian
Sounds like a great day!!

Sounds like a great day!!

Nice fish :clap::clap::clap: ...and fun to read about a skunk killed. I sure hope my skunk is paying attention and getting nervous :lol:

J
JeannaJigs
Bohemian said:
Nice fish :clap::clap::clap: ...and fun to read about a skunk killed. I sure hope my skunk is paying attention and getting nervous :lol:
It was an awesome day. Haven't tagged a salmon since Coho last fall, so it was pretty sweet. Steelhead are great for in between seasons, but there's somethin' about killin' that salmon skunk.

Your skunk better get hooked up with some hooked on phonics and learn to read the memo that it's time for him to get ghost.

B
Bfishin
Nice freakin catch Jeanna! The Totem Pole Hole huh? You guys make it all the way up to the Upside Down Green Boat Hole?:lol: JK. You knew they would be there today too. Calling out of work and everything. Andy and I just can't seem to hook the Nooks.
PS- Can I borrow that dollar?:D

J
JeannaJigs
Bfishin said:
Nice freakin catch Jeanna! The Totem Pole Hole huh? You guys make it all the way up to the Upside Down Green Boat Hole?:lol: JK. You knew they would be there today too. Calling out of work and everything. Andy and I just can't seem to hook the Nooks.
PS- Can I borrow that dollar?:D

Lol I had a hunch that it'd be good, I'm glad I text'd the boss lady when I was in the boat with you guys sunday to ask if I could have it off. I think it was the right decision for obvious reasons. The Totem Pole Hole rocks.

I happen to have TWO dollars that made it into the fish slime, I might be able to lend you the non-bloodied one, it's not AS lucky as the bloodied one, but...i do believe, it has acquired at least 70% luck status.

I might be in trouble at work tomorrow, so hopefully the bloodied slimed up dollar's powers will protect me somehow from the wrath.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Nice job guys.. uh and girl! :D
Nice little fatty chinook!

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Nice job guys.. uh and girl! :D
Nice little fatty chinook!
Got said fatty Chinook marinating for the grill :) This fish cut so good. The meat is pristine.

C
cobias
nice!

nice!

Nice job! Both chromers!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Dead skunks are lining the rivers!

Dead skunks are lining the rivers!

JeannaJigs;
Yaaaahooooo! :dance: Another one bites the dust! Good on ya,gal. :clap: That is so cool to hear. Hope you don't mind if I live vicariously through you. :D This is just your first one this year,you have gotten into them before this,right? Now that you kissed the skunk good-bye,you better make room in the freezer for more. I have a feeling it's going to get crowded.

CONGRATULATIONS,THAT IS AWESOME!!
:yay::yay::yay::yay:

Q
qwapaw
An interesting thought. I have fished the Siuslaw for more years that I should admitt and up till this year we never saw the small Chinook. We boated a Jack and a about a 21-22" chinook 2 weeks ago, There were always quite a few jacks, but not the smaller adult fish. I wonder why this is. I think the shortest we had up till this year was around 30 inches. Hmm, If anyone has a theroy it would be good to here. Otherewise Good on ya Jennn, Glad to see you are a good friend and help people move. Dan

K
Kodiak
We are still dealing with the last of the "bad ocean conditions" fish. From a look at the pic it looked like a little buck. next year is supposed to be phenominal nook season, and as the season wears on we will see lots of these 10-12# fall "feeder" chinook comming in. These are sub-adult 3yr "jacks". I would keep eye on these fish and see what they are taking and stock up for next year. If we see these smaller fish producing a significant number of hens then I will have to rethink my theroy...But ODFW seems to agree with me for the time being.

F
Fishtopher
Nice fish yall!

J
JeannaJigs
Raincatcher said:
JeannaJigs;
Yaaaahooooo! :dance: Another one bites the dust! Good on ya,gal. :clap: That is so cool to hear. Hope you don't mind if I live vicariously through you. :D This is just your first one this year,you have gotten into them before this,right? Now that you kissed the skunk good-bye,you better make room in the freezer for more. I have a feeling it's going to get crowded.

CONGRATULATIONS,THAT IS AWESOME!!
:yay::yay::yay::yay:

Yes I have gotten into them before, but it was 2 seasons ago because last season I only went twice for chinook and gave up lol. Actually I just focussed on coho instead, and then it was winter steelhead season. So it's been 2 seasons since got my last one, so this one was overdue.

Hope to get more :)

J
JeannaJigs
Kodiak said:
We are still dealing with the last of the "bad ocean conditions" fish. From a look at the pic it looked like a little buck. next year is supposed to be phenominal nook season, and as the season wears on we will see lots of these 10-12# fall "feeder" chinook comming in. These are sub-adult 3yr "jacks". I would keep eye on these fish and see what they are taking and stock up for next year. If we see these smaller fish producing a significant number of hens then I will have to rethink my theroy...But ODFW seems to agree with me for the time being.

Yeah, he was a fat little buck. I was told by ODFW a few years ago that a big run of subadults brings in some big fish the following year...but...I wouldn't place money on a bet saying next year is going to be a good one, the last few years have been dismal at best.

K
Kodiak
JeannaJigs said:
Yeah, he was a fat little buck. I was told by ODFW a few years ago that a big run of subadults brings in some big fish the following year...but...I wouldn't place money on a bet saying next year is going to be a good one, the last few years have been dismal at best.

Previously we had the "Dead Zones" out in a lot of smolt traveling lanes and they died because of the oxygen deprived areas and lack of food ( there are numerous reasons for thiscould write a whole thread about it if you guys want). This run is the last of the "dead zone" years. Thats why some areas like tillamook and some northern rivers will fair much better this year than others than say the siletz, alsea, yaquina and siuslaw. Still collectively scratching our heads about the extream southern rivers like the rouge and umpqua (they returned to "normal" this year). Over the next few weeks we shall see what happens. I suspect we will see more 10-15#'s with about a 15% increase of adults over last year. They know the smolt from 4 yrs ago reached the ocean with less than optimal conditions and a "recovering" ecosystem. The smolt that made it to thier second and third years had improving conditions, and superior feed this last summer, but low numbers. The Coho numbers and condition this year are indicitive of what will happen next fall with the chinook, provided we see reductions in ocean commercial harvest we are looking for. Should we avoid a El Nino scenario this winter and next summer, the year after next should see not only good numbers, but also a return to burnt up drag systems and busted rods from those stinking 50+#'s that eat black label herring like a fat cop eats doughnuts!

J
JeannaJigs
I sure hope so! The little ones are good eatin' though :) So im not complaining.