Finally got to get out

F
Fish Fight
The ocean finally laid down enough to get out. We fished out of Ilwaco on this past weekend. Friday was salmon at the CR. 3 of us on board and 6 keeper coho brought back about 20 released and a few undersized nooks.

Saturday we ran out and fished for tuna, 4 of us on board and we boated 20 tuna. They were a good class of fish with only a few being peanuts and the rest being nice and a couple being pigs. The fish were spread out and so the bite was sporadic but we did manage a quad and a triple and a few doubles. I've tried a few times this year to get out and the wind kept killing it for me. Now I have my first trip out and am looking forward to next weekend.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good for you!

Good for you!

Fish Fight said:
The ocean finally laid down enough to get out. We fished out of Ilwaco on this past weekend. Friday was salmon at the CR. 3 of us on board and 6 keeper coho brought back about 20 released and a few undersized nooks.

Saturday we ran out and fished for tuna, 4 of us on board and we boated 20 tuna. They were a good class of fish with only a few being peanuts and the rest being nice and a couple being pigs. The fish were spread out and so the bite was sporadic but we did manage a quad and a triple and a few doubles. I've tried a few times this year to get out and the wind kept killing it for me. Now I have my first trip out and am looking forward to next weekend.

Fish Fight;
Congratulations for getting out there and living your dream. What a way to spend your first time on the ocean! Sounds like you had a great time while experiencing some of what the ocean has to OFFer in the way of challenges. Good for you!
Be safe.
Barb

O
osmosis
Nice!
How many miles out were the Tuna?
Any size to the coho?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Sounds like you had a great time out there. I hope you have many more trips that are as successful. That open ocean fishing will get in your blood! Tight lines

F
Fish Fight
It was my first tuna trip of this year, been fishing for them for many years. This year I've just had a tough time getting decent weather.
We ended up at the 125 01 line (about 42 miles out), we were looking for some kind of break either temp or color, we found a color break and worked it hard using Mexi flags, Zukes, Swim Baits, Butterfly Jigs, cedar plugs and X-raps. Not a lot of surface sea life, porpoise, sharks, moa moa or jumpers. The North wind that's been blowing for the past month has everything all spread out and turned over. Hopefully a new pattern will start to take shape and get things lined up for a great August and September.

the coho were cookie cutter 6-8 pounders, we picked those up from buoy 2 to the CR buoy. The hot set up was using herring on those plastic bait clips (don't know the name of them) flasher and diver, 12 - 18 pulls. I took an orange brad and took the factory hooks off and put on a single siwash and hooked fish on that.