Finally got out there

T
tnffishman
Even though it's summer my fishing time has been massively depleted by my summer job:rolleyes::(:confused:. Anyways after work today I headed out for springers got there around 3, and quickly learned I would need to hike veeeeerrry far to find fish, so I did.

It was worth it as I met up with a buddy of mine who taught me a new hole and I hooked 4 or so only landing one. Went down a few more holes by myself and bammo, theres my limit. Then I got to carry them out:mad: lots of fun.

I also observed a fight about to break out between a bobber fisherman and a fly fisherman on the "ethics" of each tactic. Crazy to see down there so far, just glad nothing happened except a few BLEEEPITY BLEEPS.

The fish were pretty beat up by the end of the hike, both were hens and not too bad of color

Last edited:
M
metalfisher76
Gotta call last night from a buddy. He says he gets down there and runs into this kid he see`s every winter and a bobber fisherman that he ran into the other day. The bobber guy says it`s "unethical" to use split shot on a fly rod. This was the nicest thing he said in their 2 exchanges.
WOW! Unethical???????????? Ya gotta be wrapped up pretty tight to toss ethics into it. It`s a tool. Tools come with attachments. If the fish is tricked into biting yer presentation, then what the heck doe`s it matter to YOU or ANYONE how that offering was presented, or with what???????????? It`s O.K. to use a sinking tip in a still water situation. But I can`t use a lil lead when water is rippin by? I`ve sat and watched guys with sinking tips on these small streams go right over the fish by a foot or so over and over. The water is only 1 1/2` deep! Ya think that fish is coming up a foot in shallow water?? A summer run in some rivers, sure, but not very many fish are goin to do this throughout the year. How into yourself do ya gotta be to think your style of feeshin is better than the next? Every style has it`s place. Temple Fork Outfitters figured this out this last year by designing a FLY!rod that is "made" for lead. Not sure I buy the idea, just get a rod with slower action and yer set. But this style has been around for decades, my dad was taught this by complete strangers in the 80`s and passed it onto me. We are NOT the only ones doing it either. I`ve seen videos of guys with a jig and indicator on a fly rod. "WHAAAAAAA!!! Why not carry a spinning rod for yer jigs, WHAAAAAAAA!" I ask, why would ya carry 2 rods around for miles of hiking when this 1 will do EVERYTHING I need too, right here, right now?
It`s kinda funny. It used to be fly fishermen where the snobs.
O hey! Nice springers man!!

B
bigdog
I have said it before and will say it again, there is always someone that isn't going to agree with someone about how they are fishing. Had a person try to safe I was floosing or snagging fish one time because I had a long leader under my bobber running eggs. I say don't let them get you and keep doing what you are doing man.

Nice job on the limit buddy. I bet I know where you got them at lol.

F
Finneus Polebender
The last guy besides me, that absolutely had control over how I was gonna fish had a badge on ! Nice hens there bud!

T
TTFishon
Nice fish dude!

M
metalmania
Nice work dude:D. That bobber guys just pi$$ed cause he thinks he owns that hole, although I haven't seen him catch one out of it. Meanwhile I hit the riffles and spank my limit out below him:lol:. It's funny he brings up ethics, as the guy he fishes with uses a 1oz bank sinker and a couple trailer hooks.

T
tnffishman
ya well I saw the guy catch 2 on the bobber. And like what metalfisher was sayin I was goin over the fish with 3 split shots, put some more on and started hooking fish

M
metalfisher76
Yep, put in their face. It`s simple mathematics. Don`t matter how ya put it their, or what ya put their, they bite? GOOD JOB!! I wonder how many fish were in that hole? I mean, if it`s the one I heard about, he wouldn`t have a problem finding 2 biters. But what metalmania did, finding a fish or 2 in a "safe zone", not by numbers, takes more skill than throwin eggs at STACKED fish.
Way to go TN. I didn`t mean to go OFF on yer thread bud.

M
metalmania
metalfisher76 said:
Yep, put in their face. It`s simple mathematics. Don`t matter how ya put it their, or what ya put their, they bite? GOOD JOB!! I wonder how many fish were in that hole? I mean, if it`s the one I heard about, he wouldn`t have a problem finding 2 biters. But what metalmania did, finding a fish or 2 in a "safe zone", not by numbers, takes more skill than throwin eggs at STACKED fish.
Way to go TN. I didn`t mean to go OFF on yer thread bud.

There was atleast 150 in there on monday:shock:. It felt more like october then june:D.

M
metalfisher76
That`s what I thought/KNEW/heard! I GOTTA GO!!! Somewhere else:lol:

T
tnffishman
No prob MF76, still stoked about catchin those fish yesterday and can't wait to get back out there. It did feel more like October, except oh wait... these fish fight much harder :)

M
metalfisher76
LIL`BIT bigger. I`m bored with`em. Headshakin a plenty, no acrobatics(that are worth mentioning), they`ll come out of the water but not much. Ther is NO head like steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C
Cohosanders
Hard working in school and now the summer job, but you got your limit bro. Good to see you with a pair of chromers.

H
halibuthitman
metalfisher76 said:
Gotta call last night from a buddy. He says he gets down there and runs into this kid he see`s every winter and a bobber fisherman that he ran into the other day. The bobber guy says it`s "unethical" to use split shot on a fly rod. This was the nicest thing he said in their 2 exchanges.
WOW! Unethical???????????? Ya gotta be wrapped up pretty tight to toss ethics into it. It`s a tool. Tools come with attachments. If the fish is tricked into biting yer presentation, then what the heck doe`s it matter to YOU or ANYONE how that offering was presented, or with what???????????? It`s O.K. to use a sinking tip in a still water situation. But I can`t use a lil lead when water is rippin by? I`ve sat and watched guys with sinking tips on these small streams go right over the fish by a foot or so over and over. The water is only 1 1/2` deep! Ya think that fish is coming up a foot in shallow water?? A summer run in some rivers, sure, but not very many fish are goin to do this throughout the year. How into yourself do ya gotta be to think your style of feeshin is better than the next? Every style has it`s place. Temple Fork Outfitters figured this out this last year by designing a FLY!rod that is "made" for lead. Not sure I buy the idea, just get a rod with slower action and yer set. But this style has been around for decades, my dad was taught this by complete strangers in the 80`s and passed it onto me. We are NOT the only ones doing it either. I`ve seen videos of guys with a jig and indicator on a fly rod. "WHAAAAAAA!!! Why not carry a spinning rod for yer jigs, WHAAAAAAAA!" I ask, why would ya carry 2 rods around for miles of hiking when this 1 will do EVERYTHING I need too, right here, right now?
It`s kinda funny. It used to be fly fishermen where the snobs.
O hey! Nice springers man!!
bobber guy.... ethics, there are more bobbers hanging from deadline wires than I can even count... and ever since that glob of BAIT under a bobber craze started there isn't a tree or log safe from being tagged... mabe we should build our leaders out of stainless wire, then we won't have to hear this **** anymore.

B
bigsteel
or the miles of line with freakin spinnglos and slinkies hanging everywhere.................VERY NICE FISH MAN way to slay em:clap::clap:

M
marriemb
great catch wow

Diehard
Diehard
hey guys notice you guys seem to be getting some fish to the bank was curious what size hooks your useing ive lost seven fish and landed one i lost one two nights ago on one of sthlhead stalkers red/black micro jigs and the others lost on size one gamakatsu drifting&floating eggs any ideas to broke for a flie rod and split shot right now thanks and keep nail'n em

T
tnffishman
losing the is just part of it I have hooked over 60 now and only landed around 18

Diehard
Diehard
ok so i think i get it i need to hook more to ketch more so fish more = hook more ill give it a try thanks for the reply

H
halibuthitman
Diehard said:
ok so i think i get it i need to hook more to ketch more so fish more = hook more ill give it a try thanks for the reply
I don't know how you are losing em... but one of the best Kenai King fishermen there ever was told me this advice for gearfishing... tension without pulling... hold the fish to tire them, or lose the drag more and let them pull line to lose steam, kings will be explosive at first.. but will lose steam fast, so hold tension on the hook without pulling the fish.. then they often will just about swim to ya..:cool: