Finally - got my steelie - or did I??

G
Growbug
The mighty Molalla cleared up enough and i went down to chuck some flies in the water.
Had FishFiddle's AgentOrange followed by a egg fly (orange and chartr.... bright green)
Was casting upstream into the end of the riffles so that the offerings would have time to sink before tumbling over a ledge. 3rd try and the thingamabobber disapeared like a U Boat had just hit it with a salvo of torpedoes. I lifted the rod tip, expecting a hangup and the 'hangup' didn't appear happy. First it went straight to the bottom, then straight to the top and out of the water. Then tried to vanish downstream.
5 mins later and i have a 19" native in my hands. Popped the fly out (it has taken egg) and back in the water.
didn't even get a picture. Hadnt even brought the camera. Ho hum..

Anyhow.. first steelie, or is it just a 'large rainbow' since it is that 1" under "official steelie"

O
OnTheFly
I thought you knew the code. Fish always grow bigger after being caught. I'd say it was a 25" steelhead.

A
adambomb
Nice work Rob! It's a great feeling no matter how big it was. Congratulations!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Way to go!!

I say steelhead.

Down on the rogue we have some steelhead that come back from the salt only after 1 year. they are called HalfPounders but I imagine they weigh more then that. I caught one this year and the small steelhead are better looking then the bigger ones imo :D

M
Modest_Man
Nice job Rob. Was this this morning? I was out from about 6:30 to 11, saw quite a few people fishing. Let me know next time you plan on fishing the Molalla, I'll join you. You've got more fish under your proverbial belt than me now, my best is a 12" trout.

Also found a message in a bottle written on the back of a book page that said something like "Nature, love, and music are all that matters". I bet that was you.

M
Mad dog
Growbug said:
The mighty Molalla cleared up enough and i went down to chuck some flies in the water.
Had FishFiddle's AgentOrange followed by a egg fly (orange and chartr.... bright green)
Was casting upstream into the end of the riffles so that the offerings would have time to sink before tumbling over a ledge. 3rd try and the thingamabobber disapeared like a U Boat had just hit it with a salvo of torpedoes. I lifted the rod tip, expecting a hangup and the 'hangup' didn't appear happy. First it went straight to the bottom, then straight to the top and out of the water. Then tried to vanish downstream.
5 mins later and i have a 19" native in my hands. Popped the fly out (it has taken egg) and back in the water.
didn't even get a picture. Hadnt even brought the camera. Ho hum..

Anyhow.. first steelie, or is it just a 'large rainbow' since it is that 1" under "official steelie"

Steelhead!!! There have been a ton of 1 salt fish this season! :clap:

16" rainbows are considered steelhead in the SW zone! Then again a 16" rainbow in the SW zone is a steelhead! :lol:

Reactions: OnTheFly
brandon4455
brandon4455
congrats on the steel bro! :clap:

G
Growbug
Modest_Man said:
Nice job Rob. Was this this morning? I was out from about 6:30 to 11, saw quite a few people fishing. Let me know next time you plan on fishing the Molalla, I'll join you. You've got more fish under your proverbial belt than me now, my best is a 12" trout.

Also found a message in a bottle written on the back of a book page that said something like "Nature, love, and music are all that matters". I bet that was you.

Nah, the msg in a bottle wasn't me, but, there are a ton of them found up and down the river. The locals have been asked to use plastic bottles, as the glass ones dont make it far downstream. Still plastic in the river aint good. Seems that they are 'planted' far upstream during the summer months when people party up there, and then make their way down after the floods.

Where was the fish? I started at Feyrer Park and fished upstream. Hit the water at 7:30 and there were already 2 people scattered about the park fishing with stick n bug. The rivers restructured AGAIN and you can easily get across to the island just upstream of the bridge. So, went that away and fished from the other side. Nothing for a while then got to another bridge (Molalla Forest Road bridge that cuts across the river). The ledge was about 30 yards downstream from the bridge.

----------------
Stick 45.120682,-122.534834 into http://maps.google.com/

Last edited:
G
Growbug
adambomb said:
Nice work Rob! It's a great feeling no matter how big it was. Congratulations!!

I had NO idea that i would have to STOP fishing after landing such a small beastie. I was shaking for about an hour after and couldnt tie anymore flies onto the line. Yeah, with me a shaking hand aint unusual, but this was both hands... grin.. and for some reason, this time the shakes weren't annoying

--------------

edit.

7wt lamiglass, Okuma SLV 78 line holder, 7wt floating line, leader of 3ft 12lb, large size thingamabobber halfway along the 12lb line, 2ft 10lb, 2ft 8lb, then Agent Orange (sz4), 12" 6lb, glowbug egg (orange and chartreuse, sz8)

Last edited:
M
Modest_Man
Yeah I crossed the log to the island a Feyrer this morning, was good 90% of the way across then I hit some ice. Decided to hang around on the island till the log de-iced before heading back across. Almost pissed myself.

G
Growbug
Chest waders, walk the downstream side of the log, hold on to the branches.

I was seriously considering putting a rope across.. may go back and do so.

O
OnTheFly
Don't let size concern you Rob..;)

B
bigsteel
way to go rob

T
troutramp
sweet !!!!!!!!!! good job rob glad to hear you got into one . I hope to get into something when I get back in May I fly ou tomorrow :(

M
metalfisher76
Alright! Sounds like a great day for ya Rob:clap: May many more bite yer riggins:pray:

F
FishFiddle
Hey Rob! Congrats!! I was out of town and just read your thread and really glad it is working for you. I fished the Metolius and upper Deschutes on Sat. and Sun, had a great time but not much action, maybe spent too much time playing w/ the 2 hander. Got my boat back last Friday after some repairs, new front deck floor (level now), casting horn for front, seat repair, and a new casting stanchion in the rear. I am really excited about getting her back on the water, hopefully this week. Oh yea, that AgentOrange is on a size 4 with enough weight to get down, I like that setup, if you run out of those let me know. Keep up the good work and thanks for the report. Doc :clap:

Reactions: OnTheFly
T
Thuggin4Life
Congrats on your first steelie!

N
nwkiller
way to go, a native trout that big is a steel head to me...nice work!

Top Bottom