FINALLY got my Steelhead

T
Tom Finn
FIRST STEELHEAD IN 12 YEARS!!!! Despite a crummy reel and a lack of experience with Steelies I hooked up with a 10lb Native Buck @ 8:00 this morning on the Siletz, just below Logsden. It was freezing cold and my eye-loops kept getting iced over (I'm using braided line), but they seem to love those Little Cleos. The fish only fought about 4-5 minutes, but it also jumped 4-5 times and swam under the boat twice so I think it was more luck than anything I did that kept it on.
I know the picture is incredibly goofy.......I promise I'll look less like a dweeb and more like a fisherman for the next one. But I really don't care. I've still got this goofy grin on my face 13 hours later :D

• first steelie.jpg
Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
nice fish! congrats :clap:

W
waco
Good job and great fish!!!!! there is nothing like the feeling of the first winter steelie!!!! Congrats!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

R
RunWithSasquatch
Proud moment, nice work!

T
Throbbit _Shane
very nice!!!! iv been having luck with spoons too :D

G
Growbug
The photo says it all.. nice grin.. nice fish

N
nwkiller
way to go man...welcome back

H
halibuthitman
Ha! too funny!, Ive learned that the hardest thing to do is hold a fish for a picture and look cool.. they just don't seem to go together. Very nice fish, congrats!

A
autofisher
Nice fish...... Sometimes you just can't hold back the excitement.

M
Mad dog
Nice!!! :clap: Way to keep after it during tough fishing conditions! :clap:

H
Halfthrive
Nice. Keep grinnin.

L
lilsalmon
Very nice......goofy is excused when your holding steel...

G
GDBrown
Goofy is what this forum is all about. Welcome to the Goofy OFF gang. That is a great first post.

GD

troutdude
troutdude
That's what I was thinking...what an AWESOME first post!!!

It's now been some 29 hours, and I'd bet big bucks <pun intended>, that your still wearing a smile!

R
rippin fish lips
nice fish! Congrats on your first steel!

S
skunk
Way to go, guess I'll just keep swinging away hoping for my first also.

Y
Yohan
How you look in that picture is how I feel every time I catch a steelhead :lol:...

Job well done! Now go get another.

M
markasd
Efffin SWEET! Right on - love that water your on there... know it pretty ok! Hope to get out with ya soon Tom - only home for a couple days. Spring maybe?

AWESOME pic!!

F
fishingfreak
Nice Job Buddy keep it up!

B
Bucknasty
Tommy!!!! Welcome to off buddy!! It was very exciting watching u fight that fish and then getting to photograph u and ur excitement:) the pic says it all!! Also u got to do ur first "alumaweld net a fish drift boat dance"! That just does my heart good!!! Cheers, Bob