Fin clipped vs. wild steelhead.

Fin clipped vs. wild steelhead.

• I would like there to be more hatchery steelhead availible for harvest.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Doesn't matter to me. I just enjoy catching steelhead.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • The hatcheries should be taken out.

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters
O
OnTheFly
I am running into more and more steelhead fishermen that get so depressed after not catching a hatchery fish to take home after a good day on the river. So much so it's to the point where disgruntled fishermen will actually cut the adipose off the fish themselves. Really?:confused:

Is it that important to be able to take one home or are you just as satisfied simply catching a fine chromer whether it's a hatchery or not?

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Shoot...I would be happy to just be able to get back out and enjoy fishing. Taking one home is pretty close to the bottom of my priority list.

C_Run
C_Run
I'm not sure which answer above fits me best. I only fish steelhead a little bit and, overall, we like to eat fish in our household but steelhead isn't my favorite. I think things are ok the way they are with some to keep and wild. I'm not sure I would spend as much time at it if there were no possibility of ever keeping one. Still, I fish places that don't have hatchery runs buts that's mostly for scenery and exercise. So, I guess the second answer, more or less.

D
DYJ
My main goal is to bonk and eat fish. Not that I don't enjoy a day of catch and release action.... or even a slow day just being out on the water. But I consider a trip successful when I come home and fire up the BBQ with fresh steelhead on it.

I think there should be more brood stock fish...

M
Mad dog
I voted for more.....just by judging all the fisherman walking around on the bank without any fish or complaining that they can't catch any fish....ya, more is better!!! :lol: ;)

Seriously, what percentage of steelhead do you catch that are wild? There would be a lot of river systems with little to no steelhead runs without hatchery fish! If the hatchery fish were taken away I couldn't even imagine the amount of pressure that would be put on the remaining wild stocks!

F
FishFiddle
Hmmmm......Hot Topic! I'll voice my opinion anyway. I think we need to go to C & R exclusively. If you want to eat fish then go to the grocery store because you can save yourself lots of money and time and it is a guarantee you will have something to eat.

B
bigsteel
I enjoy catching wild fish.taking a fish home is not my goal for being on the river...just like another thread here people are complaining theres TOO MANY wild fish.To me thats a succesful river.theres plenty of meat fisheries in oregon

brandon4455
brandon4455
take hatchery fish out of most systems that have a healthy run of natives. the reason a lot of steelhead rivers have crappy runs of wild fish are because of the hatchery fish and the people that come with them (people that keep natives,poor fish handlers etc) not saying everyone who only targets hatchery fish are bad at handling fish(i have plenty of friends and family that only taarget hatch fish) but just about every time ive fished crowded coastal rivers ive seen plenty of people holding nates by the gills or dragging them up the bank. some people don't understand just because the fish swims away doesn't mean it's going to live. i say any system with a good amount of wild fish should be artifical flies and lures only c&r then take the amount of fish they stocked in the healthy systems and split them up between all of the meat fisheries.
this would eliminate mortality by being gut hooked by bait,treble hooks and it would take a lot of pressure off wild fish. it would benefit the fish and the fisherman. if my opinion ticks anyone off like usual im sorry ahead of time LOL.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I love to catch fish and I love to eat fish but I'm happy releasing anything that isn't legal to take. At the end of the day, fishing isn't about catching fish for me...it's something much more important than that. I understand everyone has their reasons for fishing but it's hard to imagine not being able to appreciate a day on the water just because a fish doesn't go in the fish box.

The best day I have ever had on the water was last Saturday on the Siletz with my boys.....we didn't even get a strike.

H
hunt-fish-trap
I eat fish, and for me it is not cheaper to go to the store and buy some farmed fish. not only is it very expensive its mushy. I voted for more fish. also I would like to see salmon recognized as a food fish not just a sport fish. In other states the daily limit is way more than 2 and you can feed your family for a week with just one day on the water.

C
chrisohm
I could see this thread getting out of hand. Remember, we are all different and we have our own opinions. I for one would like to see more hatchery fish. Rivers like the Molalla should be off limits to any fishing besides some bass or trout. Other rivers with endangered native runs should be shut down to any and all fishing until the numbers reached a healthy limit. How many of you can actually guarantee that the natives you catch even make it after you have pulled them out of their comfort zone, taken a picture and supposedly released it in a healthy condition? You can't guarantee it nor can you be sure that the fish won't be caught by another fisherman who mishandles it leading to the fish's death. Imagine the damage that can be caused if someone caught you on a hook and you thrashed around for who knows how long before being released. You can fish for sport, you can fish for food. To each their own.

M
Mad dog
The Umpqua just lived through little to no hatchery steelhead returns....pretty bleak for the south river....not fun fishing....no hatcheries.....no fish.....no fun!!! :( Lot's of other steelhead streams in the state are in the same boat....too much degraded habitat!!! It's never going back to what it was or what it possibly could be! Too much pressure from fishermen, logging, urban sprawl, sealions, you name it.....a tough deal for the natives for sure!

Lot's and lot's of guides....and communities depend on that fish harvest! We are a tourism state....at least that's what they tell us anyway! :rolleyes: Who's going to come to Oregon to not catch fish?

Hatchery fish collected from broodstock from their native streams....graded for the best genetics....how is that bad?

I like to eat fish....and not some crap from safeway!!! Anyone actually know where fish in safeway comes from? You would have to be more stupid to eat store bought fish from safeway than to want hatchery steel in our rivers! If it comes from a grocery store....Be Advised!!!

B
Berg03
Mad dog said:
....Seriously, what percentage of steelhead do you catch that are wild? There would be a lot of river systems with little to no steelhead runs without hatchery fish! If the hatchery fish were taken away I couldn't even imagine the amount of pressure that would be put on the remaining wild stocks!

I have caught 6 steels this year, 3 hatchery and 3 natives. 50% for me

F
FishFiddle
Hey, I rezemble that! :think: I bought some Alaskan Sockeye from Safeway about a year ago for $2.99 per # and it was really good. It also was the cheapest fish I had eaten in a long time! Just like buying beef or anything else for that matter, you gotta know what you're looking at.

J
JeannaJigs
I sit on bOth sides of the fence. I enjoy some catch and release (80% of the time during the winter i'm on native only waters) but i eat fish. I think certain systems should have increased numbers, but not all. Broodstock programs are win win I think. I don't go out with the mentality that if I don't get a hatchery fish the day is a waste, but taking home a hatchery fish for the grill is pretty rewarding if you enjoy fresh caught fish.

O
OnTheFly
JeannaJigs said:
I sit on bOth sides of the fence. I enjoy some catch and release (80% of the time during the winter i'm on native only waters) but i eat fish. I think certain systems should have increased numbers, but not all. Broodstock programs are win win I think. I don't go out with the mentality that if I don't get a hatchery fish the day is a waste, but taking home a hatchery fish for the grill is pretty rewarding if you enjoy fresh caught fish.
Mind reader.:protest::tongue:

Reactions: JeannaJigs
M
mccarrel
I'm pretty stoked catching a fish, I don't much care one way or the other but that said, it is nice bringing home a fish. I've landed 3 nates to 1 Hatchery and honestly think its great seeing so many natives in the Sandy.

S
steelhead_slayer
A picture is good enough for me. A big native would keep a smile on my face for weeks

H
hunt-fish-trap
Rivers like the Molalla should be off limits to any fishing besides some bass or trout.
there is talk of a hatchery going in on the Molalla. I also reeled in 6 hatchery fish from that river last year. 4 above the town of Molalla and 2 around wagon wheel. I was also told that the reason that you are allowed to catch and harvest nates on that river is because they want to clean it out to prepare for the hatchery. how true it is we will have to see. but the guy was in a uniform

A
alm21
I love eating fish and really appreciate the opportunity to catch my own, so I'm thankful for the hatchery fish. However, the fight of a wild fish is hands down superior over the hatchery and it's what I remember most. I'm just happy to fight a fish. My arm is sore today from being able to fight both hatchery and wild. I love this game!