Fern Ridge

Alright y'all I KNOW there is someone on this site that catches crappies there....with regularity.....I unfortunately am having a hard time getting them with regularity.....I do get 1 here and there....any ideas as to any area I could target....cause I know it is coming soon......a private message would work if you dont wanna share info with everyone here.....I do have a boat for harder to access water.....and I also have info on crappies on other bodies of water in the Eugene area to trade if that would sweeten the pot a bit.....thanks for any responses in advance.

plumbertom

Yeah, about that.
I've tried Fern Ridge a couple of times with no success.
I have caught some very small crappie below the dam.
Much as I claim them to be my favorite I have yet to catch one of keeper size here in OR.

Plumber tom......I assure you there are plenty keeper crappies in Oregon.....I know they have some big guns last May I caught a half dozen 13-15 inchers outta there....but they had already spawned out.....if you could locate that spawning ground or staging area I AM SURE you could clean up.

plumbertom

bucketman009, I don't doubt that at all, I've just failed to locate them.
Afterall, if there are small fish it follows there are larger fish, or huge amounts of small fish causing stunting.
Haven't found that yet either.
No doubt that IF I can find the right place, there are fish to be taken.
Last time on Fern Ridge, I fished as much of the main river channel as I could follow.
Maybe next time I'll do better with the Navionics app.
Down around SoCal I would troll around the lakes with my crappie cranks until I'd catch a fish or two then concentrate in that area.
Here that doesn't seem to work.

NKlamerus

Most Featured
I was there today just scoping the place out, no boat but I plan to fish the dam pretty hard for Largemouth.

Doesn't seem to be any structure anywhere?

Are you talking below the dam at the park? Lots of people fish that area but I think with all the pressure there isn't alot of good fish. I've heard that the long tom itself is really good for bass but your looking for areas that have really slow water. I have fished the stretch below the dam for bass on foot and didn't land anything, just saw alot of carp.

plumbertom

Yep, that's the spot. Just in the calmer water where I could get to it.
I'm not really very well balanced in my old age so I tend to stay off the riprap.

There is plenty of stru ture but ya gotta find it when the reservoir is down in the winter.....pretty sure if you are gonna fish bass you will catch some....LOTS of those in there.....but.....I want some crappies.

plumbertom

Oh yeah.
I've boated plenty of largemouth while trolling around for crappie.
In particular around the dam and other riprap.
Nothing of any size but around a pound seems to be common.

Top Bottom