Fern Ridge Reservoir Fishing

jamisonace
jamisonace
Fern Ridge on Monday

Fern Ridge on Monday

Just got the boat out of storage and looking for a good place put it to use on Monday. It's been years since I've fished for catfish. From what I've read here you think I'd have the best luck close to the dam fishing worms on the bottom?

J
JeannaJigs
Drive by it everyday but it's super low, and reaks of sulfur. I'd probably fish below the dam if I was gonna fish it.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks for the heads up. I'll find another lake.

J
JeannaJigs
Ever been to Triangle? That'd be my recommendation for the fern ridge general area. Nice boat launch and there's all kinds of fish in there.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
Drive by it everyday but it's super low, and reaks of sulfur. I'd probably fish below the dam if I was gonna fish it.

I wonder why it reeks of sulfur?

J
JeannaJigs
all the biological stuff that's breaking down in the mud...it's exposed to the air when the water drops. I think that's why anyways...

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
all the biological stuff that's breaking down in the mud...it's exposed to the air when the water drops. I think that's why anyways...

That's a good theory. It never smelled like that when I fished there but I haven't fished there in a long time either and thing have changed a bit.

F
fishing man
they dont but u can catch some nice trout from below the dam

F
fishing man
i heard when the water is down fishing off the rocks by the dam casting into the main lake u can catch bass i also heard that fern ridge has 12 inch crappie im going to fish there today

T
TTFishon
fishing man said:
i heard when the water is down fishing off the rocks by the dam casting into the main lake u can catch bass i also heard that fern ridge has 12 inch crappie im going to fish there today

I've caught bass off the rocks in the fall and I've seen some decent crappie come out of there too.

X
xltom
TTFishon said:
I wonder why it reeks of sulfur?

Anaerobic bacteria(live deep in the mud where there is no oxygen) digest organic material(nitrates) and expel free nitrogen and sulfur dioxide as waste...sort of like how yeast expels alcohol into your favorite beer. I have reproduced this process in reef aquaria as a means of nutrient export.

Thinking of trying fern ridge tomorrow in my 12ft.....anyone been there recently? Any tips? I've never been...Don't even know where to put in.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
xltom said:
Anaerobic bacteria(live deep in the mud where there is no oxygen) digest organic material(nitrates) and expel free nitrogen and sulfur dioxide as waste...sort of like how yeast expels alcohol into your favorite beer. I have reproduced this process in reef aquaria as a means of nutrient export.

Thinking of trying fern ridge tomorrow in my 12ft.....anyone been there recently? Any tips? I've never been...Don't even know where to put in.

Not sure if it depends on how low the water is but there's a ramp on the west side of the dam just across the bridge. Google Maps

X
xltom
Nice link.. the lake looks shallow in that satellite photo.

J
JeannaJigs
Water level is up to capacity at the moment, I drive clear lake road to work daily. It's muddy and nasty and will leave an ugly water line, but, it's worth a shot. I never fished it though.

H
Hawk
I've put my boat in at Richardson Park before. $3 parking fee.
:D

T
TTFishon
xltom said:
Nice link.. the lake looks shallow in that satellite photo.

I think it's about 30 ft deep at it's deepest near the dam.

X
xltom
TTFishon said:
I think it's about 30 ft deep at it's deepest near the dam.

I didn't have enough anchor line onboard in any case. That little boat ramp you suggested is free but not a good place to put in when you are by yourself. There's no place to tie up where your boat isn't rubbing on the rocks. I went to richardson park instead.

I threw spinner baits, plastic worms, jigs, and rebel topwater baits ect. while soaking a worm n bobber on my other line. No bites but I saw a few splashes so I know they're in there. Really cool lake right now, too bad they can't just leave the water high all the time. The water was pretty dark though. There were a butt load of sail boats out but only saw one other fishing boat.

C
CPLLEWIS
Fern Ridge did have healthy run of cut throat. Prior to my 4 years far away from Oregon, in 2003, I fished some waters flowing into Fern Ridge and it never failed to produce. We were fishing with 1/8 Oz. roostertails. I can't remember the colors. Upon my return I tried the same holes many times and couldn't get a single bite out of them. Hopefully this spring I can hit them again and catch a few.

R
rayc308
how come ODFW does not try to help the bass in Fern Ridge this could be a great place for bass. I know bass are here but could be a lot better.think how a big bass tournament could be for the area. I know at one time you could catch a lot of crappy but not any more.

C
CPLLEWIS
Ray,
All warm water fish in Oregon are introduced species and quickly out compete natives especially in warmer waters that are not ideal for natives in the first place. Just by regulating these invasive species ODFW increases their populations.