Fern Ridge Reservoir

J

Junglefrank

Does anybody know if there is any good fishing around Fern Ridge Reservoir during the winter months while the water is down? Is the lake even open to fishing this time of year. I suppose I could this info in the Regs, but this is easier. Also, what about below the dam. Catfish, bass, crappie?

T

Thuggin4Life

Does anybody know if there is any good fishing around Fern Ridge Reservoir during the winter months while the water is down? Is the lake even open to fishing this time of year. I suppose I could this info in the Regs, but this is easier. Also, what about below the dam. Catfish, bass, crappie?

there is kirk pond on the north side duddno how it fishes in winter. betwwen 7 guys in 2 hours we got over 40 cat fish one night right about this time of year last year. buddy got 1 that had to be 2.5lbs. it was whe we has that cold weather 27* when we left around 2 am. all cUght on a worm and you had to hold the rod to not miss the bit. right below the dam.

Q

qwapaw

If there is a light wind chop, you can do alright fishing the main lake just over the burm from the dam. I would go 50 yards to the left if I were you. I have been there on totally quite days an not had a bite. It seems the wind helps if you don't get blown off. Good luck, and tight lines. Qwa

T

TTFishon

If there is a light wind chop, you can do alright fishing the main lake just over the burm from the dam. I would go 50 yards to the left if I were you. I have been there on totally quite days an not had a bite. It seems the wind helps if you don't get blown off. Good luck, and tight lines. Qwa

I used to fish that same area a lot when I was a kid. We always caught catfish this time of year with a worm on the bottom.

jamisonace

jamisonace

Most Featured
Fern Ridge on Monday

Fern Ridge on Monday

Just got the boat out of storage and looking for a good place put it to use on Monday. It's been years since I've fished for catfish. From what I've read here you think I'd have the best luck close to the dam fishing worms on the bottom?

J

JeannaJigs

Drive by it everyday but it's super low, and reaks of sulfur. I'd probably fish below the dam if I was gonna fish it.

J

JeannaJigs

Ever been to Triangle? That'd be my recommendation for the fern ridge general area. Nice boat launch and there's all kinds of fish in there.

J

JeannaJigs

all the biological stuff that's breaking down in the mud...it's exposed to the air when the water drops. I think that's why anyways...

T

TTFishon

all the biological stuff that's breaking down in the mud...it's exposed to the air when the water drops. I think that's why anyways...

That's a good theory. It never smelled like that when I fished there but I haven't fished there in a long time either and thing have changed a bit.

F

fishing man

i heard when the water is down fishing off the rocks by the dam casting into the main lake u can catch bass i also heard that fern ridge has 12 inch crappie im going to fish there today

T

TTFishon

i heard when the water is down fishing off the rocks by the dam casting into the main lake u can catch bass i also heard that fern ridge has 12 inch crappie im going to fish there today

I've caught bass off the rocks in the fall and I've seen some decent crappie come out of there too.

X

xltom

I wonder why it reeks of sulfur?

Anaerobic bacteria(live deep in the mud where there is no oxygen) digest organic material(nitrates) and expel free nitrogen and sulfur dioxide as waste...sort of like how yeast expels alcohol into your favorite beer. I have reproduced this process in reef aquaria as a means of nutrient export.

Thinking of trying fern ridge tomorrow in my 12ft.....anyone been there recently? Any tips? I've never been...Don't even know where to put in.

Last edited:
T

TTFishon

Anaerobic bacteria(live deep in the mud where there is no oxygen) digest organic material(nitrates) and expel free nitrogen and sulfur dioxide as waste...sort of like how yeast expels alcohol into your favorite beer. I have reproduced this process in reef aquaria as a means of nutrient export.

Thinking of trying fern ridge tomorrow in my 12ft.....anyone been there recently? Any tips? I've never been...Don't even know where to put in.

Not sure if it depends on how low the water is but there's a ramp on the west side of the dam just across the bridge. Google Maps

J

JeannaJigs

Water level is up to capacity at the moment, I drive clear lake road to work daily. It's muddy and nasty and will leave an ugly water line, but, it's worth a shot. I never fished it though.

X

xltom

I think it's about 30 ft deep at it's deepest near the dam.

I didn't have enough anchor line onboard in any case. That little boat ramp you suggested is free but not a good place to put in when you are by yourself. There's no place to tie up where your boat isn't rubbing on the rocks. I went to richardson park instead.

I threw spinner baits, plastic worms, jigs, and rebel topwater baits ect. while soaking a worm n bobber on my other line. No bites but I saw a few splashes so I know they're in there. Really cool lake right now, too bad they can't just leave the water high all the time. The water was pretty dark though. There were a butt load of sail boats out but only saw one other fishing boat.

Top Bottom