Fern Ridge Reservoir Fishing

W
wrestlerstud32
do they stock fern ridge with trout? i hear it is a good warm water fishery though.

B
Bfishin
wrestlerstud32 said:
do they stock fern ridge with trout? i hear it is a good warm water fishery though.
No they don't stock trout in F.Ridge. It does hold bass, crappie, carp, mud cats, etc. Basically like you said, warm water fishery. I've caught a few cats out of there, but haven't fished it much.

J
JeannaJigs
They definitely don't stock it, I don't think trout could survive in that mud puddle, but like bfishin said, there is no shortage of warm water fish. I drive by it daily on my way to work, but have yet to fish it myself, maybe one of these days I will give it a try on my lunch break since it's less than 5 minutes away, I always see people fishing right near the highway.

S
specreck
wrestlerstud32 said:

They don't stock it but if you look at the regs for Long tom river, it holds trout according to regs......so who knows

T
TTFishon
I've caught cutthroat in Fern Ditch when I was a kid. I'm sure they are still there.

S
specialk
i have fished fernridge and caught some nice cutthroats its been a few years though.simply used eggs and/or worms and always fished up as close to the dam as you can possibly get on the outflow side. there is a cement slab you can walk on [no more than a few inches of water]and where the water comes out of the dam, fish one section over from that, [kind of slack water ] we used to catch some nice 14to15 inchers

T
TTFishon
specialk said:
i have fished fernridge and caught some nice cutthroats its been a few years though.simply used eggs and/or worms and always fished up as close to the dam as you can possibly get on the outflow side. there is a cement slab you can walk on [no more than a few inches of water]and where the water comes out of the dam, fish one section over from that, [kind of slack water ] we used to catch some nice 14to15 inchers

I used to fish below the dam every winter when I was a teenager. We caught them all along the dam from one end to the other. Another spot was where the Amazon slough enters the lake over off of Fir Butte Rd. That was before they reconstructed the little dam just before it enters the lake. It used to be a cement wall about two and a half to three feet high with tractor tires in the water at the base. Every winter we'd go there too and catch tons of cutts using crappie jigs jigging them in and around the tires. Now it's just a bunch of rocks and too shallow to fish.

S
Stoods
I've caught some bass and crappie on Fern Ridge from the canoe, but never a trout. I usually head into the little canals or back on the other side of the highway, near the Coyote Creek access point. It's a nice way to spend a Friday or Saturday evening.

If you head back into the Coyote Creek area, watch out for the bees. We were headed underneath the 126 bridge and were swarmed - someone had apparently knocked a nest down nearby. Not a good thing when you're in a canoe!

S
SmallStreams
Long Tom River hasn't received hatchery fish since at least the '60s (if it ever did).

Go to Google.com and enter +"Long Tom River" +cutthroat and you'll find some water quality & fishery reports that mention how cutthroat in Fern Ridge Reservoir make spawning runs up the Long Tom and tributaries. The unique aspect is that they take on the silver hue of searun cutthroat during the spawning runs.

These spawning runs occured before Fern Ridge Reservoir existed, but the silver hue didn't occur until the reservoir was built.

Water temperature is going to be the key to finding the trout. Find the coldest spots and you'll find the fish.

F
FernRidgeChamp
SmallStreams said:
Long Tom River hasn't received hatchery fish since at least the '60s (if it ever did).

Go to Google.com and enter +"Long Tom River" +cutthroat and you'll find some water quality & fishery reports that mention how cutthroat in Fern Ridge Reservoir make spawning runs up the Long Tom and tributaries. The unique aspect is that they take on the silver hue of searun cutthroat during the spawning runs.

These spawning runs occured before Fern Ridge Reservoir existed, but the silver hue didn't occur until the reservoir was built.

Water temperature is going to be the key to finding the trout. Find the coldest spots and you'll find the fish.

Thank you for this information. I have not caught a cutthrough in Fern Ridge but will certainly make it my mission :pray:

FRC

L
leach laker
ODFW doesn't stock it. In years past they may have. They used to stock Kirk Ponds. Although a warm water fishery, it's not hard to imagine there being CutThroat at times; Tributaries to the Long Tom hold Cut Throat. Still not ideal conditions....I would have to say it's very unlikely to find one, but won't say it's impossible.

F
fishin_fool
Used to be able to catch some nice cutties from below spillway at fernridge and if heading towards veneta first creek past dam used to have some cutties in it but its been 25 years since I fished over there...

D
drownworms
the long tom b4 and after dam holds trout.Used to fish the crap out of it when i was younger.In winter when lake is empty and gates are fully open wed walk down near the damn(long tom side) and use crappy jigs or eggs and will catch a lot of trout.Since they fixed the damn the crappie fishing in the lake has been poo poo.Going to try for cats this winter as they used to hit pretty nice after lake was lowerd.I'll have to make sure i check to see if the trout are still there also.

T
TTFishon
drownworms said:
the long tom b4 and after dam holds trout.Used to fish the crap out of it when i was younger.In winter when lake is empty and gates are fully open wed walk down near the damn(long tom side) and use crappy jigs or eggs and will catch a lot of trout.Since they fixed the damn the crappie fishing in the lake has been poo poo.Going to try for cats this winter as they used to hit pretty nice after lake was lowerd.I'll have to make sure i check to see if the trout are still there also.

Remember to check the regs. It's not open to catch and keep year around anymore.

A
a-mac
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and just moved to Corvallis from Indiana. I've been checking out google earth to try and find a good place nearby to bass fish, which is why I'm looking at fern ridge. I tried to call in to the park but everything was closed. Are there any special lake permits needed to fish here? I saw posts mentioning water levels... Are the boat ramps still accessable? One last question... Which ramp would be prefered to have decent nearby bass fishing right now? I blew my powerhead on my '89 blackmax 150 a few months back and am limited to trolling motor only. I haven't managed to pick up a job quite yet so I'm planning on fishing tomorrow...kinda bittersweet. Btw, would anyone know a good place to find an old merc like mine... I had the lower unit repaired ($3k... Thank u insurance!) a month before the engine blew (kentucky lake incident) so I'd like to try and keep it alive once I find employment. Any info on any of the several questions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone cares to join my bass hunt tomorrow shoot me an email! fishnhunts@gmail.com

Live2Fish~Fish2Live
-aaron mcalexander

L
leach laker
A couple things to know...there is a $98.00 fine if you fail to purchase a $3.00 parking pass at the county parks. Be careful, they may look boarded up, but they are patrolled by public works and they lay the smack down on the no-permit parking.

Also, break-ins occur.

The lot at Kirk Ponds does not have a fee.

J
Junglefrank
Does anybody know if there is any good fishing around Fern Ridge Reservoir during the winter months while the water is down? Is the lake even open to fishing this time of year. I suppose I could this info in the Regs, but this is easier. Also, what about below the dam. Catfish, bass, crappie?

T
Thuggin4Life
Junglefrank said:
Does anybody know if there is any good fishing around Fern Ridge Reservoir during the winter months while the water is down? Is the lake even open to fishing this time of year. I suppose I could this info in the Regs, but this is easier. Also, what about below the dam. Catfish, bass, crappie?

there is kirk pond on the north side duddno how it fishes in winter. betwwen 7 guys in 2 hours we got over 40 cat fish one night right about this time of year last year. buddy got 1 that had to be 2.5lbs. it was whe we has that cold weather 27* when we left around 2 am. all cUght on a worm and you had to hold the rod to not miss the bit. right below the dam.

Q
qwapaw
If there is a light wind chop, you can do alright fishing the main lake just over the burm from the dam. I would go 50 yards to the left if I were you. I have been there on totally quite days an not had a bite. It seems the wind helps if you don't get blown off. Good luck, and tight lines. Qwa

T
TTFishon
qwapaw said:
If there is a light wind chop, you can do alright fishing the main lake just over the burm from the dam. I would go 50 yards to the left if I were you. I have been there on totally quite days an not had a bite. It seems the wind helps if you don't get blown off. Good luck, and tight lines. Qwa

I used to fish that same area a lot when I was a kid. We always caught catfish this time of year with a worm on the bottom.