fenwick rebuild help

C
catphish
I was recently given a couple nice old Fenwick fishing poles from a friend and I need one of them rebuilt. Its a Fenwick SP844. Its a great rod, I have been admiring them for years. I guess thats why I inherited them. The bottom eye support is bent, and for some reason he painted the last foot of it white. I would preffer to have the whole rod rebuilt, new eyes, cork, the whole ball of wax. I do not know where to have this done. Any recomendations? Portland area preffered. Thanks guys.

C
catphish
WOW. 11 views and no help. Nobody has ever had to fix a fishing pole? WOW!

S
SNDSLGR
I dont know if they can help but I know they do good rod repair. Ollie Diamonds downtown PDX.

1aB
Wow, stripping the guides, varnish, reel seat, handle, glue, etc. before even rebuilding is a huge job. I suspect a pro job would be at least double the cost of say a new Shimano Clarus.

A white rod tip might be for night visibility.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
hey catphish, why not attempt it yourself? I've restored a couple rods before and it's not hard at all! You can buy kits with instructions and thread of your choice to make it a custom rod. Years ago I refinished a split cain trolling rod for my father-in-law. He got it from a garage sale and his intensions were to restore it himself only I beat him to it and did it for a surprise Christmas gift. Before removing the guides, I marked each spot then sanded the entire rod. I wraped on a black base then reattached the guides with dark green with some of the black reveled. After 3 coats of Hard-n-Fast it was done! Looked brand stink'in new!

C
catphish
the paint I just finger scraped off, the cork and reel set are clamped via ferule and tightening nut, no glue/no mess, only one major guide issue with bent support, pliers were no help really, can do all prepwork, just not able to wrap and align new guides. I own other rods, dont want or need a shimano clarus, I just needed help from someone who knows better than I. BTW, Thank you very much SNDSLNGR.

O
OnTheFly
Are the exisiting guides still in good shape or do you need to replace them?

C
catphish
the guides are small, bait caster style yet on spinning rods. the bottom eye on one rod has bent support, pliers did not help. I am going to woodland to Anglers Workshop next week to meet with a cat about doing work myself. Found that these poles from 60's, I thought 70's. So I really not want to screw it up. may just take a rod building class, who knows, it may lead to a new career and the end of unemployment.

O
OnTheFly
catphish said:
the guides are small, bait caster style yet on spinning rods. the bottom eye on one rod has bent support, pliers did not help. I am going to woodland to Anglers Workshop next week to meet with a cat about doing work myself. Found that these poles from 60's, I thought 70's. So I really not want to screw it up. may just take a rod building class, who knows, it may lead to a new career and the end of unemployment.

Good on ya bro! Nothing better than making your hobby your career!