Fenwick history book--a must have!!!

troutdude

troutdude

Dear fellow OFF'ers, and Fenwick Rod collector's and "end users"...there is a book that makes a GREAT addition to your personal fishing library. It is:

"Fenwick: Fenwick's History and Rods, Including the Development of the First Graphite Rod". The book's author is Victor R. Johnson, Jr. [copyright 2005].

You can order this book here (along with books on Fiberglass Fly Rods, Fly Lines, and Fishing Waders):

Engineering Pathways - Home Page

Or you can write to: EP Press, P.O. Box 3157, Vallejo, CA 94590.

ISBN #0-9740531-1-2

Enjoy.

TD

P.S. I do not have any affiliation...other than buying Vic's book 5 years ago...and asking him for help in identifying rare Fenwick rods. I just thought you would enjoy his book(s) as much as I have--it's VERY well researched and written, by a fellow enthusiast!

Troutski

Troutski

Fenwick

Fenwick

My first tattoo was the Fenwick Eagle;).....thanks for the information. This book will be with my collection soon, very soon. Cheers to the Fenwick-Hip, hip, hurray.
Still use my fiberglass fly rod along with my bobber rod, I do have a newer Fenwick but the older ones have such a feel.

Chuck

troutdude

troutdude

My first tattoo was the Fenwick Eagle;).....thanks for the information. This book will be with my collection soon, very soon. Cheers to the Fenwick-Hip, hip, hurray.
Still use my fiberglass fly rod along with my bobber rod, I do have a newer Fenwick but the older ones have such a feel.

Chuck

Pip, pip, cheerio for Fenwick! I have been using Fenwick glass rods, for close to 45 years. And, I only buy the "vintage" glass rods made in America. And, my even greater preference is for glass rods with "double-footed" line guides.

I have never liked, and do not even own, any Fenwick graphite rods. I don't like the "feel" of the graphite. And, I really don't buy into the theory that the tips are more sensitive to a bite. I've also seen MANY more graphite rods (all makes) break way too easily. And, I have yet to see more than a few broken glass rods (any make). You also won't find any foreign made Fenwicks in my arsenal either.

I have 6 or 7 different Fenwicks. The one that I like most, is a 7' four-piece pack rod. It's a combo fly / spinning rod. And, it's a light action rod. I found it many years ago, at a yard sale for $10 or $15. It was in mint condition too! Then, I had a buddy (and professional rod builder) remove the old-style "steel" guides. He then re-wrapped the whole rod and added newer Fuji-style guides. I use it very sparingly, and it still looks almost brand new.

Anyway, I hope that you have enjoyed your Fenwicks as much as I have. And I hope that you enjoy Vic's book. When I bought it, I became so engrossed in it...that I read it from cover to cover in a weekend!

Troutski

Troutski

Pip, pip, cheerio for Fenwick! I have been using Fenwick glass rods, for close to 45 years. And, I only buy the "vintage" glass rods made in America. And, my even greater preference is for glass rods with "double-footed" line guides.

I have never liked, and do not even own, any Fenwick graphite rods. I don't like the "feel" of the graphite. And, I really don't buy into the theory that the tips are more sensitive to a bite. I've also seen MANY more graphite rods (all makes) break way too easily. And, I have yet to see more than a few broken glass rods (any make). You also won't find any foreign made Fenwicks in my arsenal either.

I have 6 or 7 different Fenwicks. The one that I like most, is a 7' four-piece pack rod. It's a combo fly / spinning rod. And, it's a light action rod. I found it many years ago, at a yard sale for $10 or $15. It was in mint condition too! Then, I had a buddy (and professional rod builder) remove the old-style "steel" guides. He then re-wrapped the whole rod and added newer Fuji-style guides. I use it very sparingly, and it still looks almost brand new.

Anyway, I hope that you have enjoyed your Fenwicks as much as I have. And I hope that you enjoy Vic's book. When I bought it, I became so engrossed in it...that I read it from cover to cover in a weekend!

You are my hero:cool:, I also love the glass rods. I do have a newer graphite ultra light spinning rod I had custom made, it is the Fenwick World Class edition 5 1/2 footer. Very good for Steelhead and larger Trout, I own five of the glass rods; from a Steelhead 7 1/2 footer I also had re-guided by the rod builder (Gary Marlet) I use it as my bobber rod. The rest of my collection is dedicated to Fly rods. 8wt., 7/8 wt. and a very nice 5 wt. that I use for most of my fly fishing adventures. I coupled a Orvis 5/6 Battenkill disc drag reel and it is heaven on the water.
Something about glass rods..........

Chuck

troutdude

troutdude

You are my hero:cool:, I also love the glass rods. I do have a newer graphite ultra light spinning rod I had custom made, it is the Fenwick World Class edition 5 1/2 footer. Very good for Steelhead and larger Trout, I own five of the glass rods; from a Steelhead 7 1/2 footer I also had re-guided by the rod builder (Gary Marlet) I use it as my bobber rod. The rest of my collection is dedicated to Fly rods. 8wt., 7/8 wt. and a very nice 5 wt. that I use for most of my fly fishing adventures. I coupled a Orvis 5/6 Battenkill disc drag reel and it is heaven on the water.
Something about glass rods..........

Chuck

I simply had no idea, that I was roaming around in leotards and a cape today! LOL :lol::lol::shock:

You've got a nice collection too. And that Orvis reel is a good fit too!

Most of mine are trolling rods. But, I do have one 6 or 6.5' UL that needs a new tip. I'm not physically able to fly cast. But, a good friend has a nice 8' Fenny fly caster in his arsenal.

I also forgot to mention another rod that I have. I found it on Craig's list in Eugene a few months ago. It's an "old school" "hollow glass" Lamiglas rod...5 foot Ultralight. And, I tell you what--it is a BLAST to catch a 17" 'bow on that puppy!!! Even some 12 inchers feel like fighting a 10 pound summer steelie on a larger rod. And, I only paid $40 for it too boot! :dance::dance::dance:

Top Bottom